Glock Slide Release Help

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JDK721, Jan 30, 2010.

1. JDK721

JDK721

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  2. GRR

GRR

Empty magazine or just push it up with the slide back until it engages.

3. JDK721

JDK721

4. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

It can be a pain as the molding makes it harder to push the lever up. An extended one will help but it can be done with some practice.

5. duckintheface

duckintheface

If you look at how the slide stop lever works, you will see why. The corner of the follower (in an empty mag) is pushed by the mag spring so that it lifts the slide stop lever which then engages the notch in the slide. If there is no mag, there is no follower in position to lift the lever. When a round is in the mag, the follower is pressed down so the corner is below the slide stop lever. That's why the slide only locks back after the last round is fired.

It's fun to figure out how your Glock works by just looking at the parts and how they interact. Glock is the only gun I know of that is simple enough that you can see and understand everything about how it works. :supergrin:

6. elde

elde Lifetime Member

The slide stop will not lock the slide back automatically without a mag in the gun. You must push up on the slide stop while the slide is pulled completely to the rear in order to lock the slide back w/o a mag in place.

7. JDK721

JDK721

8. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

To be clear, are you talking about getting it to lock the slide back or to use it to drop the slide from the locked position? If the latter, just push down harder.

9. JDK721

JDK721

10. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

That is because it was not designed for that purpose. It is a slide lock and that is what it was designed for. Best way to close the slide is grasp the slide with your non dominant hand, pull back until it stops and release.

Corey

11. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

It's a slide stop, not a slide release.

12. JDK721

JDK721

13. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

People use what they train and what works best for them. I personally don't use it myself because of different pistols having different positioning of the lever, while the overhand covers ALL makes and models. Its just more of a gross motor skill.

But if you want to train to use the slide stop, don't let anything anyone on here says discourage you. If you pushing down on it and it's not releasing, either you are doing something wrong, or something is wrong with the gun.

14. Remington700VS

Remington700VS

Put an empty magazine in your pistol, pull the slide straight back.

Repeat this over and over slowly, and examine the "process"...

15. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Both methods are taught in law enforcement. You should never limit yourself to doing something one way in which there are other viable options. Malfunction drills and one arm drills commonly use the method.

It seems every time someone mentions "slide release", there is responses correcting that terminology. Yes, it's a slide stop lever, but when disengaged, it releases the slide so the "missed" term is understandable. Additionally, I find it amusing that many people who correct others on this term, use "magazine release" themselves. The technical name is a magazine catch because that is what it does, but again, I can understand why "mag release" is used and both terms are certainly nothing to get in the dirt over.

There, my .02 and I'm getting off the box.

16. C.Smith

Not in my department or any other training I have recieved. It has always been called a fine motor skill which most people lose in stressfull situations.

Corey

17. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I'm very surprised - pushing your thumb (or finger) downward isn't a fine motor skill where I'm from, especially when it's what is necessary to get up and running again. What does your dept teach lefties to do in a one arm drill? I don't know this for a fact, but didn't the military teach using the slide stop in the 1911s?

In the stress situation you describe, what's the alternative, use your shoe, belt or other object to do a slingshot with the slide? Those are definately fine motor skills, but yet, they are taught too. We practice it, practice it and practice it under as much stress as can be induced in a range enviornment.

18. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

OK, I guess I need to take my un-dumbass pills. I thought we were talking about locking the slide back without having a mag in the pistol.

If you are talking about releasing the slide that is already locked back??? Then just push the lever down. If you have an empty mag in the pistol it will be harder as the follower is still pressing up against the lever. If no mag is in the pistol it is easy to push down.

If it isn't easy to push down with no mag in the pistol something is wrong OR your thumb is pretty weak.

19. C.Smith

Yes actually they do teach to use objects, belts, holsters, boots to slingshot the slide. I believe glock also teaches not to use the slide stop, and that may be where a lot of it come from.

Corey

20. Scott30

Scott30

Get an extended slide stop lever and call it a day. Makes it much easier to use.