close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock slide question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ashecht, Apr 10, 2012.

1. ashecht

ashecht

With the slide locked back and a full mag inserted, is it harmful To the gun to hit the slide release to load the first round or should I be pulling the slide back a bit to disengage the slide stop and let the slide load the round slowly ?

2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

With a fully loaded mag I let the slide fly. I won't do it with an empty mag though.

3. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

+1 here

4. Keyhole

Keyhole

Never ride the slide forward. If you ride it in a confrontation, you may end up with a problem. Let it fly.

5. RMD

RMD

Not harmful to use the slide stop lever as far as I know but if you choose the latter, don't let it load slowly, slingshot that sucker.

6. tinman517

tinman517

+2 this

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Pulling the slide back and letting it fly is a gross motor skill that will not fail you in a time of stress. The only time I use the slide stop lever is to slowly close the slide on an empty chamber.

8. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

To get to the point where you are releasing the slide after a reload, you have released one or two latches on the holster, aligned the sights, pulled the trigger 16 times and hit the mag release. So after successfully executing 20 consecutive fine motor movements you suddenly became incapable of manipulating another?

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

The Glock manual says over hand grip pull and let fly.

Please note that the part is "a slide stop" not a slide release.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  11. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Why? Is it bad to let it slam forward without a round?

12. Alizard

Alizard

That is EXACTLY what the slide release was designed for.

13. Alizard

Alizard

If you do it thousands of times maybe.

14. scosgt

scosgt

The only bad thing that can happen using the slide release is it can wear the area on the slide that the release catches on. Otherwise, there is no issue.
    I have extended slide releases on all my Glocks, and sometimes use them and sometimes grab the slide.
    If you shoot competition and use the extended release THOUSANDS of times it might eventually wear out your slide to the point where it will no longer hold open after the last round.
    But most of us would never shoot enough to cause that.
    And since Glock SELLS the extended slide release, it would be strange for them to tell you not to use it!

15. ijacek

ijacek

^^^ That!!! On a Glock pistol that part is called Slide Stop Lever! not a Slide Release!

16. thedave8

thedave8

cant see it wearing a slide, might take 10 worn out levers to put a spot on the slide.....good to have ssl, in case, heaven forbid injured weak hand....etc

17. scosgt

scosgt

-That depends on whether the slide or lever is harder. It is a scraping motion and something has to wear, since it is in fact a point of contact.

I don't think Glock slides are hardened in that area, at least not the early ones. Since Glock makes and sells the extended levers, they are safe to use.

Also keep in mind that you get more positive feeding when you rack the slide back as opposed to using the stop. In a combat situation you should be racking the slide, that is how you should be trained. But as stated above, there can be cases when the other hand is simply not available.

One case would be if you were wounded in your left arm and shot your Glock dry. The proper tactic would be to drop the empty mag (or not, with the extended release you can usually easily drop the slide on an empty mag) and pretend your gun is loaded - in other words, don't show the bad guy a gun with the slide locked back. That is an invitation for him to end the fight in a very bad way for you.

18. berfles

berfles

I don't have my gun out to check this, but isn't it quite forceful when the slide cycles and the slide stop is activated? I imagine it slamming (as small of a "slam" as it may be) to lock back. What I mean is there is a bit travel to actually have the slide lock. Seems like that in itself could chip the finish off the area.

Funny this should come up, I used the slide catch tonight when the gun was empty and it pissed me off that I did it that way. I never do that, but this time I had a brain fart.

19. scosgt

scosgt

In blowback operated guns, such as a Walther PPK or a Hi Standard .22 automatic, allowing the slide to "slam" forward allows the parts to hit together at a higher velocity than they would when shooting: i.e. the action of the follower stripping off a round and the friction and mass of the round itself in front of the slide will buffer and slow the impact.

IN a Glock the barrel/chamber goes up as the action locks into battery. There is no direct metal to metal impact, as the locking block slides up into position. Letting it slam on an empty chamber probably allows the barrel to come to rest at a higher velocity, but it is not a direct impact.
    I think you could rack and release a Glock 100,000 times and possibly not even be able to measure the wear on the locking surfaces, at least at any higher rate than firing.

And there are some designs, notable the small Ruger .380 as I recall, that do not have a slide stop, so the action slams closed on an empty chamber every time. Apparently not a problem. In any case, I think it depends on the gun. In the Glock, we are taught to CRANK the slide three times to make sure the chamber is empty before pulling the trigger to field strip. So it is designed for the slide to be racked hard.

You won't damage it. And the Glock is not painted. Or plated. There is nothing in the finish to chip.

A friend discovered a hi cap LE magazine after he retired, and in my State that is illegal unless you are active LEO. He just forgot to dispose of that one. So he decided to simply destroy it.
    After an hour of pounding with a hammer and cranking in and out of a vise, it would still load ammo and fit into a gun!!!! The polymer is darn near indestructible. You won't damage it by using as intended.

20. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

It's not harmful to do that. The slide closes with full speed to chamber another round anyway after a shot had been fired. What you shouldn't do is, to let the slide slam forward on a empty chamber. A different story is the actual slide stop lever, some people including me don't want to use it as a "slide release lever" because it might cause some premature wear on the slide stop lever IMO. I rather slingshot the slide to chamber a round. (Disengaging the slide stop lever by pulling back the slide).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012