close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock slide finish

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Nib-XG26, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Nib-XG26

Nib-XG26

Hello to all I am kinda new here so I am sure this has already been answered but I really want to know whats up with the new Glock finish? All of the gen4s have it and I hate it so I ordered a gen 3 17 and it came in with same finish, so I did not buy it. But now the same gun shop just got in the old more smooth shiny finish G22 so what does that mean? Thanks I love the info I get from all of you!:wavey:

2. SCC

SCC Member Me

some like them some don't .. to me i don't care about it as long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger ..

3. brand

brand

Not buying a gun that you ordered because of the finish on the slide is very petty. The important thing is that the gun can put rounds down range.

4. Clipity

Clipity

I bought a used Glock with some of the finish rubbed off didn't stop me. It could be purple with pink pok-a-dots as long as it goes bang.

5. Nib-XG26

Nib-XG26

To each there own, So I was supposed to buy something I wasn't happy with that already had scuffs on the finish? I take pride in my firearms, unlike some I guess

6. Khan15

Khan15

I'm with you. However, my 19 and 23 have no issues/blemishes (both Gen4)

7. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman

It's your money chief, and I sure don't think you should blow it on something you don't like or want. Makes sense to me. If you want the shiney finish by all means get the shiney finish. :highfive:

8. deciple

deciple

It sucks to buy anything new at full price and there be defects/blemishes in the product, I tend to believe that the people telling you just to suck it up as long as it "works" are perfect examples as to why quality is at an all time low.

On another note, if they'd be willing to take a couple bucks off of the price it wouldn't be a big deal at all.
    Also like other said, it really doesn't matter because it will wear and get dings anyway. Just because your car depreciates in value as soon as you buy it, doesn't mean that you want the guy to wipe the hood down with sandpaper.

Its your money, get whatever you want with it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  9. Nib-XG26

Nib-XG26

:goodpost:
    All I was saying was I'm hoping someone can tell me if all Glocks now have this finish or is it just the ones made here in the USA that have the dull finish?
    If people like it I am happy for you I just don't.

10. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd

I have both Gen3 and 4 with both finishes on them. I prefer the older dark shiney finish, holds up really good. I don't think it's a made in the USA thing, seems to just be random, who knows.
    Don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want.

11. Nib-XG26

Nib-XG26

I couldn't agree with you more I own 4 Glocks and shoot them regularly and I carry my G26 daily, I don't care if I put the wear on them but I sure don't want one that's already damaged if I did I would buy a Springfield XD! lol I am not rich so when I have the opportunity to get a new gun I want Glock Perfection.

12. brand

brand

You neglected to mention that in your original post. In fact you didn't mention it having any defects or blemishes.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  13. silversport

silversport

my late November 2011 Gen4 G21 has the "new" shiny finish...I believe GLOCK has heard the complaints of the dull flat finish owner's and buyers and gone to yet another, new, shinier finish...

Bill

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  14. JK-linux

JK-linux

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  15. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

I bought three Glock gen 4s in the last 4 months. The 26 and 27 both have the dull finish. One bought in February one last October. Test fire dates 7/2011 and 1/2012. The 17 I bought has the slick shiny finish. Test fie date on the 17 12/2011. I love them all, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the finish according to the test fire dates. I have a 22 gen4 ordered I hope it has the shiny finish, but if it doesn't I'm still going to bring it home.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  16. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

I was handling them today, I much prefer the new shiny finish to the early Gen 4/current Gen 3 flat finish.

17. dooga

dooga 5 year in with Glocks

I guess I have a flat finish.
    [​IMG]

18. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

I like the dull finish. It is not as slippery as Hickok45 pointed out.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  19. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

You are caught in circumstances concerning what is happening UNDER the dark finish of the slide.

On gen4 and LATE gen3, the tenifer treatment is applied differently. For decades, Glock used a liquid cyanide soaking process to apply the tenifer finish. Because of recent European restrictions on that cyanide process, Glock (apparently) has gone to a tenifer treatment applied by a plasma method. This results in a different "texture" to the metal after the process. This difference in texture affects what can be done with the parkerizing that must adhere to the metal. My guess: that new "shiny" finish is what was chosen to adhere adequately to the tenifered metal. If I am right, then owners of current production Glock are simply stuck with what is now being produced for a cosmetic finish. Bummer if you don't like the new finish.

20. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

In reading the documentation that came with the new Pistol, I was amazed at what lengths Glock goes to placate various municipalities including the part in the paperwork describing how the Extractor/Loaded chamber meets Massachusetts standards.

I am willing to bet a cup of Starbucks that Samurai Teacher is right, the change came from the PC Nazis forcing the issue. Perhaps, Glock is gearing up to go after a U.S. MIL SPEC contract and they know their Tennifer process will not fly in Georgia. Remember all MIL SPEC firearms manufacturers must have a production facility here. One can only hope.

(We learned this lesson when the Austrian Amphetamine Addict and his minions took over the FN plant in World War II.)