Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay. So I just got my NEW Gen 4 G21, manufactured in Austria.
I already have a NEW Gen 4 G22, manufactured in the USA.
The G22 has a frying-pan finish, (tough as nails) while the G21 has a finish so soft, that when cycling, I scratched it (a little) with my wedding ring.
WTH???????
So I'll rephrase: WHY????

· Registered
2,705 Posts
I've got a third gen G19 with the frying pan finish, carried as a duty gun for several years, carried IWB lots of places including a week in a rain-soaked tent in Africa where it never got even dried off let alone oiled. Total about 7k rds now.

If I clean it up, it looks like a new gun except where the blueing has worn off the barrel from cycling. Not just "really good", but brand new.

My G42 has the matte finish which is easily marred, but somehow I'm surviving that too.

· MacGyver
10,799 Posts
White colored scratch or gold colored scratch?

Depending on production line, the finish coat (paint process, as it were) will be done by different contractors. Remember that the black stuff is just show makeup-- the bare metal was treated (Tenifer, and others) before the black stuff went on.

Possibly, your wedding ring is not gold, but some alloy. Gold should be soft, and would leave a yellow mark.

The Austrian will more likely have the original Tenifer process under the paint. Some would argue (mythically, proofless) that this is better than what we have available in the USA.

· Registered
7,131 Posts

Depending on production line, the finish coat (paint process, as it were) will be done by different contractors. Remember that the black stuff is just show makeup-- the bare metal was treated (Tenifer, and others) before the black stuff went on.

Possibly, your wedding ring is not gold, but some alloy. Gold should be soft, and would leave a yellow mark.

The Austrian will more likely have the original Tenifer process under the paint. Some would argue (mythically, proofless) that this is better than what we have available in the USA.
I was thinking along those lines as well. A gold ring should not be able to even scratch the surface finish and if it did give the appearance of scratching it would be gold being left on the slide rather than the finish actually being scratched.

· Banned
216 Posts

GLOCK does not use contractors and does all finishing in house.

· Registered
195 Posts
I bought a new Austrian made Glock 19 early this year, and the finish on it is not up to par with my other Glocks and Glocks I've owned in the past.

· Registered
134 Posts
I was thinking along those lines as well. A gold ring should not be able to even scratch the surface finish and if it did give the appearance of scratching it would be gold being left on the slide rather than the finish actually being scratched.
yep, I did that myself with a newly blued Colt 1911, after freaking out for a minute I used a little oil
and 000 steel wool, came right off. just be gentle......

· MacGyver
10,799 Posts
Think of the Glock like a powertool, car engine, or a hammer, or frying pan. When you first buy it, it's nice, perfect, shiny and slick. The more you use it, the more used, it looks. Accept it, or don't use it, just store it away to look at it.

· Registered
134 Posts
Think of the Glock like a powertool, car engine, or a hammer, or frying pan. When you first buy it, it's nice, perfect, shiny and slick. The more you use it, the more used, it looks. Accept it, or don't use it, just store it away to look at it.
no doubt about that. I don't have ANY safe queens there isn't enough time on earth for that.
hell, you might get hit by a bus tomorrow!!

· Previously Will Beararms
6,653 Posts
i have a 2011 Gen 4 22 made in Austria with the Frying Pan finish that shows no wear and resides in kydex.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.