close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Slide Cover - Problems removing..

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tom Horn, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Tom Horn

Tom Horn Duty & Country

Just curious how many of you have had problems removing the back slide cover when disassemblying your slide to degrease and/or replace parts.

For some reason the slide cover on my G17 seems too difficult to remove.

Although I only strip and degrease the slide every 3,000 rounds it seems to me the cover should come off a little easier. Since I gouged up the last one I took off I just ordered 3 extras for the future since it seems they are designed for one time use.

BTW, I do depress the trigger spring.

Any advice would be welcome.

2. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

Hmm, is your extrator/depressor/plunger/spring in the right direction in the slide (plastic to plastic / metal to metal)?

Or does the back end of the plastic rod(plunger) have a sharp edge on it thats hanging up on the cover plate?

Could also be that your channel liner is backing out, not allowing your to depress the spacer sleeve as far as needed to clear the slide cover plate. You can use a 3/8" dowel to press it all the way in, or if it is loose, I would replace it. Use a 2" long 5/16" lag bolt to pull out the current channel(after you have ordered and received a replacement).

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Pull the striker back until it clicks, then depress the spacer sleeve and remove the rear plate.

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I cant recall any real problems taking them off excep tthey are a little tight when brand new. The only time I have neededs to replace one is when I lose one.

5. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Tom,

This may be a silly question,but are you pull down(depressing)the spacer sleeve which is under pressure from the striker spring before you push the plate off?Or have you been removing the plate without depressing the sleeve?

6. Glenairguy

Glenairguy

Tom, You say that you depress the trigger spring. Do you mean the striker spring? You need to put the take down punch under the striker and push down on the black plastic sleve, and the plate should slide right off.