close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock slide bite

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by grasshopper, Mar 16, 2004.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper

I am a new owner of a Glock model 22 3rd generation- my first pistol. I am trying to become generally proficent at its use. Standing 6'6" 350 lbs I have extremely large hands. I am having quite a problem with slide bite. Tried altering my grip but in the end you tend to use what is most comfortable. Any ideas? I really can't afford to sent it off to have some pricey modifications at Robar and the like. I am mechanically minded and I have already used a dremel to remove finger grooves. Actually looks pretty good! Any one else have this problem? How is Robar and others installing the few beavertails that I have seen? Would removing some material above backstrap help? How much before I weaken frame? Thanks for any suggestions

2. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I believe that Lonewolf Distributors sells an add-on, removable bevertail that attaches with the trigger housing pin. Otherwise, you might consider having your hands modified by a competent orthopedic surgeon.

3. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

We can contour the slide to reduce frection and cuts. This works well for lots of shooters with large hands

4. C9X19

C9X19

What's the brand of the Lone Wolf beaver tail?

5. WalterGA

I don't know the brand @ Lonewolf and am not even sure that they're the ones selling the beavertail. I'm on their e-mail list and am just recalling from memory that I received an ad from them a couple of months ago. You might check out their website and see if they list the item and brand name.

6. GlocksterJeff

GlocksterJeff Glock Armorer

These folks sell a Glock thumbrest (which I think is rather silly). However, if you cut the thumbrest wings off, the body of this device might lower your hand position and stop it from being bitten.
    http://www.smartlock.com/triggerlock_detail-r.htm

[​IMG]

I have large hands also. Sometimes, making a fast draw, I will not get a proper, low grip and the slide will rub tracks into the web of my hand too. 99% of the time though, you can learn to adjust your grip to prevent getting bit.

7. WalterGA

Yeah, that's the part I of which I was thinking.

8. grasshopper

grasshopper

Hey thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the assistance and I am checking out the options ya'll have listed. Paul

9. 1badcisco

1badcisco Oz Glocker

I posted a report on the thumbrest already.
    It wont help your problem, as it brings your meaty hand up higher than before, also the levers are in the up position for shooting which is bloody uncomfortable as far as a high thumb hold goes!
    I gave mine away.....:(

10. 1badcisco

1badcisco Oz Glocker

Actually, I just thought that if my friend I gave the thing to doesnt like it either I will try modifying it into a beavertail. A bit of plastic melted on may work.
    Better than ruining my Glocks backstrap.I will post if I am successfull.;b

11. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

12. WalterGA

The Brownell's suggested method for forming a beavertail looks good and is probably not too difficult. Might be the answer.

13. grasshopper

grasshopper

Yeah, I found that on Brownell's last week- It looks promising- but I wonder how well it actually binds to the backstrap. Seems like it could crack/splinter off backstrap and possibly interfere with slide if dropped. Has any one here actually tried it? Maybe I should ask in a new thread. I was thinking of inserting a small screw or dowel pin into backstrap and forming the plastic around it to give it extra support. Thoughts? boy, this could possibly be a very expensive experiment!

14. WalterGA

So, what about my excellent suggestion to have your hands trimmed down a little??

15. duckslayer79

duckslayer79

Which would be more cost effective?;) But im sure there are several of us "I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night" doctors that would love to help out.;f;f;f

Take Care
    "duck"

16. grasshopper

grasshopper

Hey send me three references and some pictures of your work and I'll consider it.
    Don't hate me for being genetically superior:)

17. n-bandit

n-bandit

ok Im looking at the Beavertil, and thinking about the suggestion f using a pin or dowel to add support. I think It would be stronger and easier to drill a SMALL diameter hole to the back of the frame and screw a drywall screw into it so that the screw is in the same basic position as the beavertail will be. Cut off the head of the screw and then use the brownells method for building the beavertail. I have used tis method in building with Fiberglas and Bodo for model cars and it works pretty good. I would just have to know how far in I could drill and sink the screw soI dont Fubar anything in my grip...

Just a thought...

MikeS