close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Slam-fire ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Nolyn, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Nolyn

Nolyn

Anyone ever had a slam-fire with their Glock (loading round from mag by cycling slide). If so, did you ever determine the cause ?

Thanks in advance

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Nope.

Why do you ask?

;=

3. GlockedNCocked

GlockedNCocked Oompa Loompa

I think more than one thing would have to go wrong to get a slam fire out of a glock.

Now an SKS, and a little cosmeline in the wrong place and you've really got something.

4. Nolyn

Nolyn

I've heard of this happening, but didn't know how prevelant it was. Just wanted to know how safe it was to chamber a round in the house - if there's a significant risk I'll take the trouble to go outside to chamber one.

5. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

Nolyn

Very little risk in a properly maintianed Glock.

I chamber rounds in the house when I'm gonna pack. I make sure to point it somewhere no one will get hit, just in case Murphy shows up.

6. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I have had it happen once or twice while testing prototype trigger mods, basically not enough engagement.

7. Nolyn

Nolyn

Mmm, interesting. Sounds like it is possible, just unlikely.

I note that when I field stripped my 19 the firing pin safety button was depressed and the firing pin was free to protrude. I tried working the FP safety button a few times, it was initially very stiff (siezed) than it freed up. I wonder if this could cause a slamfire ?

8. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

Anything is possible, like ipscshooter said, ya never know when Mr. Murphy is gonna show up.

In Custom Glock Racing's case, he has too much time on his hands and likes to play with things that invite Mr. Murphy's assistance. But without people like CGR we'd have to play with things ourselves in an enviroment that is not well suited to random discharges.

No offence intended CGR ;a

9. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Recently while I was detail stripping my Glock 27, I lost the firing pin safety spring, which caused the firing pin to move freely. I just reassembled the gun and put it in my shooting bag since I was going to a GSSF match in less then a week.

When I took the gun to the Glockarmorer at the Richmond VA GSSF match for a spring replacement he asked me if I had shot the gun since I lost the spring. I told him no, and that I didn't think it would fire since the safety was not working properly. That's when he told me it could have slam fired if I had tried to chamber a round.

10. Nolyn

Nolyn

Mmm, interesting Dale, perhaps we should all try that under controlled conditions and see if we can get it to happen

11. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Deadman, no offense taken. The only way for me to truly know if something works or not it to try it myself. Sometimes my ideas fail, that just part of R&D, but it also helps me make the better stuff in the end.

12. bplinzy

bplinzy

Sorry to throw in a stupid question here - feel free to ignore me. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what slamfiring is. I did a google search and found this:

"slamfire? a slamfire is a phenomenon that occurs in weaponry of the semiautomatic nature. a semi operates on gas ported from the barrel - this gas is channeled to the bolt operator, which blows the bolt open, ejecting the spent shell casing. a heavy spring returns to bolt carrier to the closed and locked position. this introduces a very rapid acceleration to the inner workings of the bolt, namely, the firing pin. sometimes, in the case of free floated firing pins (SKS, AR-15, etc), the inertia of the firing pin carries it too far and it strikes the primer, discharging the new shell as soon as the bolt closes. generally, this only occurs once, and is known as 'doubling' (two shots fired with 1 trigger pull)...
    extreme cases of slamfiring will go right through the magazine, firing in full auto, until the magazine is removed or emptied. (the firing rate of most automatic small arms is right around the area of 600 rpm (rounds per minute) - a 30 round mag would take all of 3 seconds to empty) this situation is quite dangerous to both the operator as well as spectators. "

Oddly, that's from www.slamfire.org.

The reason I'm confused is that until that last post you guys didn't seem to be talking about firing the gun, just loading and unloading.

Brian