close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock single and double stack mags

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Reddot47, May 7, 2006.

1. Reddot47

Reddot47

When I try to use my Glock hi-cap mags I get one FTF after another. It doesn't matter if I am shooting hardball or jhp, reload or factory, they will not feed. If I put the same bullets in my 10 round single stack mag they feed flawlessly. What can I do to get my bullets to feed through my hi-cap mags?

2. salvo

salvo Pass the ammo

What Glock model are you having problems with?
    What generation are the Hi Caps?
    Do the Hi Caps have any kind of after market base plates, springs or followers?
    Do the followers have any numbers on them?

With a little more info I'm sure the folks here can get your mags running 100%

3. Reddot47

Reddot47

I have a Glock 17 and a Keltec Sub 2000 in 9mm. Same situation with both guns. The mags are new Glock drop free purchased a month ago. I have stayed away from aftermarket products because I have heard such horror stories about their not functioning.

4. salvo

salvo Pass the ammo

Very strange, G17 & 9mm seem to be about the least problematic to feed, how are the bullets hanging up?
    You might have a small burr on the feed ramp or roughness. Polishing the feed ramp would be my first thing I would try.
    After that maybe some extra power mag springs made by Wolff.
    You might want to call Glock and explain the problem, they may send you some new mags or updated followers?

5. Reddot47

Reddot47

I have 3 30 round mags and 2 16 round mags, everyone with the same problem in both guns. I suspected the feed ramp at first but with it happening the same way in two entirely different guns I have to rule it out. I am beginning to think that the problem is in the way the ammo has to move horizontally out of the hi caps rather than straight up with the single stack.

6. TheHun

TheHun

I got a 15 and a 17 cap. (both original Glock) mags. I got about 1500 rounds fired and no problem at all. I'd lube the mags internally and see what will happen.
    BTW;how many rounds did you fire with the Glock so far??
    Is there any modification on it?? Still the original recoil spring??

TheHun

7. gary newport

gary newport

Lubing the inside of a magazine is NOT a good idea!

8. TheHun

TheHun

I'm not talking about a " lube it till it drips" just a "light coat, then wipe it" lube. And only on one mag- least that's what I'd try on my gun after everything checked out ok.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That's an unusual problem for a Glock. Diagnosing the problem starts by the testing you've already done - it happens the same in more than 1 gun - very unusual for Glocks, so slim chance it's the gun. Happens with more than one mag - also very unusual for Glock factory mags, making me think there's a good chance it's not the mags. Doesn't happen with 10 round mags - they differ from the others in that, at least as far as I can tell, there is a little more spring tension. Happens with all ammo - so it's not the ammo.

That leaves one factor, which is always #1 in diagnosing Glock function problems - the shooter. Roughly 80-90% of the Glock malfunctions I have seen and most I've heard about are the fault of the shooter - with failures to feed it's more like 98% with the other 2% being reloaded ammo problems.

My only explanation for why it doesn't happen with the 10 round mags is that they may be pushing the round up harder and faster so the gun still manages to feed even though it is slightly "short-stroking."

Let a few other experienced Glock shooters shoot the gun - I don't just mean guys who own Glocks, I mean guys who compete with them and generally have 100% reliability. I'd bet that you will find the gun runs fine with hi-cap mags in the hands of another shooter.

If that's the case, you can easily fix your gun by correcting your grip and maybe body position, so you aren't "stealing energy" from the gun by letting it move too much in recoil. The more expensive and less desireable alternative is a reduced power recoil spring.

10. Reddot47

Reddot47

I wish I had thought about your suggestion this weekend. Robin Taylor was shooting at our IPSC competition and I could have had him shoot it.

I don't think that I am limp wristing it, but at this point I am willing to try almost anything.

11. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

What ammo are you shooting? Have you measured the OAL of your ammo against quality manufactured ammo? I loaned a friend a Glock 22 and he bought crappy reloaded .40 S&W.

When he gave the gun back he said the magazines were broken. ...anyway the ammo was out of spec and was hanging up in the mag.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Nobody ever thinks they are limp wristing it, but it is a very common cause of malfunctions. Your own testing has pretty much eliminated the gun, the ammo and very probably the magazines - you're all that's left.

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That was my first thought, but he said he tried a variety of ammo, factory and reload.