Glock Sight tools (?)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by sidewinder6, Aug 19, 2007.

1. sidewinder6

sidewinder6

At a local gun show this weekend, I visited one of the regular Glock booths which is well stocked with parts and accessories.

I came across a couple items that caught my eye, a Rear Sight pusher and a front sight tool.

The front sight tool was a pencil shaped about 6" with a hex wrench on each end. Black in color in a clear plastic tube.

This tool was $30 and although I thought that was pretty high, I glanced and the Glock engraved MGW type tool, this was $150. It had a little Glock box but I cant see paying $75 for presentation and packing.

I inquired whether this was a negotiating starting point and was informed it was the "precision" that made the tool worth the extra money.

They still own those tools.

2. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Brownells sells a Glock front sight hex wrech for about $7 - have one and use it all of the time - think Ed Brown is the brand.

And you don't need a rear sight tool for $150!

I have been doing some sight swapping and upgrading on my Glocks, Kahrs, and my HKP7.

A $15 hobby vise, $15 set of steel and brass punches from Brownells, that Ed Brown front sight tool for $7, and some blue Loctite, and a medium sized ball peen hammer and some duct tape to keep the steel punch from marring the sights as you drift them in.

And yes, some sort of padding for your slide in the vise. I use a neoprene rubberized pad. Some gunsmiths use an old leather belt - minus the metal of course.

$45 if you have the hammer and the padding.

So I've changed out several complete sets of dovetail and post style sights with the above and even measured my placement with calipers (I reload).

Lowes will sell you decent calipers for $15, too.

Not a big deal just be patience and more taps.

:thumbsup:

3. sidewinder6

sidewinder6

We are of the same school. I didnt think about Brownells, I will take a look.

Ive been using a 1/4" wood dowel and my Leatherman to gently tap the rear sights. After seating them in the general location, I use a laser boresight at the range to bring the sights to bullseye, then I tweek them to my trigger finger before using blue loctite.

Thanks for your thoughts. :thumbsup:

4. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

If you really want a decent sight vise, Brownell's has one by B&J Machine for just over $100 Bucks capable of doing both front and rear sights on 1911's, etc. It's the one personally use the most but do a lot of sights swapping & installs, etc. The proof is always in the pudding, so it always goes to the range for final sight-in.

Brownell's now makes "gun-specific" screwdriver's with hollow handles that are very, very nice. Otherwise personally like the Mepro front tool for the fat knurled knob as a stand-alone front sight screw tool.

"GLOCK PISTOL - Hollow-handle MAGNA-TIP screwdriver with takedown bits for pistol itself and magazine, plus three bits and a .050” Allen wrench for adjustable aftermarket sights. Magnetic socket holds bits securely.

SPECS: 6-3⁄16" (15.7cm) OAL, 1¾” (4.5cm) long shank, 1¼” (3.2cm) diameter grip"

080-000-408

080-000-447
    Glock Screwdriver Bits, only

5. sidewinder6

sidewinder6

Thanks. I will check today.