Glock sight adj tool fit Kahr?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mpholic, Nov 3, 2004.

1. mpholic

mpholic

I was wondering whether the Glock Sight Adj tool (the one the Glock armor used to install the meps on my 36) would also work on the Kahr slides? The slides look similiar but I'm sure they are different widths and heights. I have a K40, MK9 and Glock 36. As I plan on buying more Kahrs and more Glocks I was wondering whether I should invest in this device and install my own night sights?

Thanks

2. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Jester is totally correct. I was actually looking into working up some kind of jig that could attach to my MGW Glock tool to work on Kahrs... Until I realized that their sights are put in with a pneumatic or hydraulic press and are very often not moveable at all by mortal man.

That said regarding Kahrs, I can totally recommend the MGW-ST1 Glock sight tool here. It fits both sizes of slides and as long as the sight is meant to go into a Glock hourglass-shaped dovetail it will do the job, even on Heinies, etc. Sadly it's now $64.95 which is $10 more than I paid not too long ago, but Lonewolf still has the best deal on it I believe. A great tool & if you're gonna play with sights, a must have. Be careful - all your 'friends' will want to borrow it. ;f

Edit: BTW, Ameriglo night sights also come with the 3/16" nut driver used to install the front. A bit of Loctite & you're in business. ^c

4. mpholic

mpholic

OK, so does that ("can't be moved by mortal men") mean I need to send my slides back to Kahr to have night sights installed? If I send just the slide back can I get by with shippin it "ground" instead of "overnight" or is it still considered a handgun and need to go overnight?

Thanks

5. Gunmeister

Gunmeister

You can ship the slide by any method you want. The frame is the "gun" part because the serial number is fixed to it.
    I have changed sights on one of my Kahrs. It can be done but it's a b---h. I broke the Original front sight in the process. After getting the original sights out, by heavily tapping with a light ball-pean hammer and brass punch with the slide in a wood lined vise with a heavy rag wrapped around the slide to prevent scratching, I spent a couple of hours sanding down the night sights by rubbing them in a figure eight pattern over semi-course crocus cloth. Trial and error until the sight just began to enter the dovetail. Then I applied locktight to the dovetail and tapped the nite sight in with an oak dowel (strong wood or plexi-glass rod) wipe off the excess locktight with paint thinner and let it set up overnight.
    CAUTION, DO NOT remove material from your dovetail, if necessary sand down the sight's base as outlined above.
    CAUTION, when tapping in your new front night sight, place the dowel rod at the base of the sight, not the part that contains the tritium vial as you WILL break it off and Kahr will not replace it!
    If you order sights from Kahr they come with a disclaimer that they will not replace a night sight broken during installation. The "gunsmith" in my local shop refused to even try to install the sights because of the high risk of breakage. I did my own because I'm old and with age comes patience. But I don't want to do another set.
    I strongly recommend you send the slide to Kahr and let them do the job and save yourself the grief and frustration.

Gunmeister: Who wonders what a mere mortal man really is ??????

6. mpholic

mpholic

Well, I just sent an email to Kahr asking them about changing my sights. I'll probably send the slides in one at a time.

Thanks

7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

OK, so I may have exaggerated a bit but it's possible Gunmeister is not "mere mortal man." :joker:

Still he gives good advice as usual. It can be done if you're handy and, as he says, very patient. I found the LPA adjustable for Glocks is another example in that it doesn't care for Gaston's hourglass dovetail & some stoning was needed. Still (and Michigun would probably agree too) while it can be done, it's not something one would do for sport. If my Covert hadn't come with night sights on it I'd have probably sent the slide in. Of course the advantage of fitting the sights yourself is that you can drift them later if needed without application of a 105mm artillery round.

and the satisfaction... ;f

8. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

Great posts/replies from Jester249, WIG19 & Gunmeister… I agree 100% with them mpholic! ^c

I’ve changed out 10+ sets of sights on Kahr handguns myself & all required the steps that Gunmeister outlined.