Glock shootout (range comparison)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Aug 25, 2019.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Took my five 9mm Glocks out today. Just wanted to shoot them all together. Decided on 50 feet (17 yards). Might as well time my shots to compare which Glock I do better with.

This type of "game" might help anyone to compare how you relatively do with each of your guns, a fun way to see which one you are better with. I started one handed, finger off trigger, gun held below my hip to simulate a draw. Starting at low ready would also be a way that is safer and accepted on more ranges, to do this. With a random start beep from a timer, I raised and put 3 shots inside an 8" circle as fast as I could.

If going too fast, I miss the circle. So then I slow down as needed. Below in the pic you can see 3 marked shots where one missed at least once, so I did it again until I get all 3 in the circle. I know you can shoot better than me, so the times are just my own comparison of how I do with each gun :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are my times, showing the 1st shot time, then the 3rd shot time in seconds. (I don't bother writing down the 2nd shot times, as it is just typically halfway between these).

G17 red dot, 1.43, 2.56
    G17 irons, 2.04, 3.69
    G43x, 2.58, 4.61
    G43, 2.07, 4.67
    G26, 2.53, 4.81

:)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    -JCN-, reniram, AdamRodgers and 7 others like this.
  2. Chaos Cosmonaut

Chaos Cosmonaut

I guess that red dot makes a difference. Nice work.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.

3. littletank

littletank

OP, nice job..

Chaos, yes the red dot is like cheating and fun..

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Yes, red dot helps a lot!

I do similar tests at closer distances, where the red dot has no advantage. But when far enough away that the sights have to be aligned, red dot rules. Laser does good, too. I have that on some revolvers.

Heck this is daylight shooting. If dark enough, the red dot (or a laser) would be the only one to hit paper for me at 50 feet :)

5. dbuck47

dbuck47

Encouraging me to own a red dot. The seed was already planted a couple weeks ago-this is like a pickup load of barnyard tilled into a mustard bed.

-JCN- and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  6. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

"I know you can shoot better than me..." Ithaca, not true! ;)

I think your buzzer to first shot times are quite good for the distance (to hold the 8" inches). :cheers:

7. mhl6493

mhl6493

Very nice! A well-conceived test, no doubt. And no, I can't shoot better than you. Those times with the goal of keeping them all in the dot are quite impressive!

8. seang23or32

seang23or32

Sounds like a good drill to run. I don't have a timer but the range I just got a membership to has the timer for the targets, edge/face that you can choose how much time you want the target to face you. I have been using it for 5 yard practice but might be fun to put the target out to 15 yards and see if I can get 3 shots in the circle in 5 seconds.

JGIORD and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  9. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Red dot sights are impressive for those, like me, with aging eyes.

10. MajorD

MajorD

I have shot the cooper cup at gunsite a few times, one of the drills is 2 shots in the body ( the gunsite target is camo colored with a scoring ring about the size of a dinner plate but triangular with the wide base at the top and tip pointing to the feet) in 1.5 seconds from a draw. A difficult but not impossible feat. They also do a draw and fire for a single head shot at 3&5 yards from the draw in one second. Head box being about the size of a 3x5 card. If your shot touches the edge line it is considered “out” not in. I still have not mastered the head box drill! Very difficult indeed.

11. JGIORD

JGIORD

My range has the ability to edge the target, so at some point I set it up a silhouette at 15 yards with exposure time of 3 seconds then 3 second hidden time and do a Mozambique drill. I don't draw from a holster but start at a low ready. You also get to practice reloads within the 3 seconds.

12. Hardy Wheeless

Hardy Wheeless

Pretty good with the 43.