Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glock masters. Need some advice. I just recently joined a local gun club. They have a nice bench setup where i can see how my Glock 23 is shooting. It is shooting high. I have to align the top of the front sight, top of the rear at the bottom of the target - or a 6 o'clock hold on target bullseye.

Question: I am guessing the only fix to that is replace the rear sights with lower sights. Glock has 6.1mm vs what i have as a standard sight 6.5mm. Would a lower rear sight get rid of the 4"?

Should i consider adjustable rear sights? I needed some night sights anyway.

·
NRA Life Member
117 Posts
Glock masters. Need some advice. I just recently joined a local gun club. They have a nice bench setup where i can see how my Glock 23 is shooting. It is shooting high. I have to align the top of the front sight, top of the rear at the bottom of the target - or a 6 o'clock hold on target bullseye.

Question: I am guessing the only fix to that is replace the rear sights with lower sights. Glock has 6.1mm vs what i have as a standard sight 6.5mm. Would a lower rear sight get rid of the 4"?

I sighted my G35 at 25yds and had to lower the adjustbale rear all the way to bring it down to hit at point of aim. I plan to upgrade my sights eventually, but have not decided on which ones yet.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Your sight radius is about 6" and you propose to lower the rear sight by 0.4mm or about 0.0158".

15 yards is 45 feet which is 90 times the sight radius so the change would be 90 * 0.0158" or 1.42".

Richard

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Where does it hit when you hand shoot it?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd get the adjustable rear sight.
There is no way to manually file/sand reduce the height of rear sight is there? I don't see much on the internet. I realize if you screw up you are toast on the sight, meaning you get 1 chance.

·
woo woo
31,240 Posts
If you absolutely want to correct it, then get a shorter rear sight or taller front when you upgrade to night sights. Trying a lighter bullet weight will likely bring it down too if this is happenening with 180 gr loads...though probably only 2-3" at the most.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,516 Posts
Your sight radius is about 6" and you propose to lower the rear sight by 0.4mm or about 0.0158".

15 yards is 45 feet which is 90 times the sight radius so the change would be 90 * 0.0158" or 1.42".

Richard
You must be a (retired) engineer who shoots precision rifle! :) :whistling:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Richard
Thanks for the equation - i'll try and match some night sights that have variable rear and/or front sight. It does not have to be perfect, but closer would help. It has quite a "rise" now.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Backfire Tx: I had the EXACT same problem. Ended up changing out the front sight for a taller one. Mine was shooting 4-6 inches high. Standard front sight height is .165 inches. Bought and installed a .20 inch night sight and that fixed the problem. If anything, it shoots a little low now, so maybe .20 inches was just a little too high. Changing out the front sight is a whole lot easier that changing the rear sight. Rear Sight tools are expensive. Just spend the extra $10 for the Glock front sight tool and a little Lock-Tite. The cost for the front sight tool is well worth the money!!

·
Glockdriver
193 Posts
One of the reasons I really like Ameriglo sights is they make a wide range of front sights to zero your individual pistol.

Ken

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Backfire Tx: I had the EXACT same problem...

So did I with a Gen 4 G17. The bigger issue was that it is a "hummer". The most accurate Glock I have ever shot. I simply put on Dawson Precision sights, black rear and a taller red fiber optic front. Problem solved since it is a range only gun. :supergrin:

·
Registered
673 Posts

Just wondering...are these the OEM, out-of-the-box sights?

Seems like an extreme inaccuracy...is this common, guys?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I went to the range and tried 2 varying load types. One home grown "lite" 40's (165's 3.6 grain WST) and the other Hot loads (165's 6.2 WSF ~1100 fps).

* The results were lite loads (benched) shot 3-4 inches high @15yards

* Hot loads shot only 2" high (benched) at 15 years (groups were 2")

I am a bit embarrassed to ask this question:
But does the bullet with lite loads - tend to "remain in the barrel" and be effected by the muzzle "rise"? I have heard that theory on other forums. Is that true? Lite loads tend to shoot higher due to muzzle flip?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts