close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Shock buffers

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by dking1, Apr 7, 2007.

1. dking1

dking1

Is or has anyone tried or currently using a "Shock buffer" in their glock?

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I don't use one and never have. I did a search but only came up with your post on the topic. I know there were at one time several posts on G/T on this very subject. The general opinion from them was: Save your money. Several folks had reliability issues after installing them. I definately would not recommend them.;)

3. Houngan

Houngan

I have a Dawson, and honestly I can't tell the difference. At 170pf, I just don't know that a long gun like a G35 is really hitting the frame that hard to begin with.

I could, however, notice a big difference in my Beretta 96 Elite II with a Dawson shock buffer.

H.

4. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

If you are shooting hand loads I don't this I would worry too much. Now if I was shooting only +P or +P+ rounds then maybe I would think about giving one a try. Maybe maybe not.

Pharaoh:supergrin:

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Use of one in GSSF would require you to shoot in Unlimited category.

6. dking1

dking1

The thought was to add one of the buffers to my unlimited gun using a heavily reduced recoil spring.

The theory would be to reduce the felt recoil by reducing the time/force duration yet try to safe guard the frame from being battered by the slide.

Final thoughts...I'll just spend the money on more ammo.

7. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Totally unnecessary, pretty much useless and they tend to cause slides to short stroke.

8. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

I tried them back in my 1911 days. I could not detect any significant difference, and as they wore out they would deform and start causing function problems. I gave up on them.

Unlike metal-framed guns like the 1911, the Glock is designed TO flex somewhat under recoil.

That is why you get the "marks" on the bottom of Glock .40 slides that a lot of people are needlessly concerned about. When the frame flexes the top of the locking block hits the bottom of the slide. This leaves the marks but does no damage.

Some recoil energy is absorbed by this flexing, so that energy is NOT transferred to the shooter as additional recoil.

It stands to reason that any kind of "shock buffer" that is designed to reduce "shock" can only change the "equation" of how the frame is designed to flex, and change it for the worse.

I would stay away from them.

IMNSHO. YMMV.

;)