Glock / Scherer connector differences

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by njl, Aug 15, 2004.

1. njl

njl Crusty Member

Anyone ever noticed these differences between the Glock and Scherer 3.5lb connectors?

On the "hook" of the connector where the slide rubs the connector and resets the trigger, the Scherer has a much sharper bend and the surface of that hook that actually rubs the slide is rounded on the Scherer while the Glock part has a straight edge there...making the hook look almost like a half octagon.

2. njl

njl Crusty Member

3. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

4. njl

njl Crusty Member

I don't have a good way to measure this, but I think the result is that the Scherer part's hook sticks out further from the rest of the connector than the Glock...possibly making the slide harder to cycle. In comparing my 21, 34, and 17 today at the range, the 17 did seem to cycle much rougher. I took it apart and started lubing things a bit more than usual, and didn't notice any difference until I lubed the portion of the slide that rubs the connector...and that's not even a part that's supposed to be lubed AFAIK.

I'm wondering if this could explain the jamming problems (failure to fully extract) that I've been having with my 17 which currently has a Scherer in it. Maybe I should go back to all Glock connectors?

As a first step, I've filed down a bit of the hook on the Scherer in my 17. The trick to that is, I don't know how much I can take off before it starts failing to reset the trigger.

5. njl

njl Crusty Member

I know WalterGA's a big proponent of them, but once everything's been polished, I really don't notice that much difference between my 17 (Scherer) and 34 (Glock) 3.5lb connectors.

Through a process of elimination, I'm starting to suspect they could be causing reliability problems for me.

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

7. njl

njl Crusty Member

Other than surface polishing, have you modified any of your Scherers?

I've got lots of connectors...so I suppose next time it jams, the 17 will get a Glock one and then we'll see if that was it or not.

8. WalterGA

9. njl

njl Crusty Member

No..I did a search earlier and remember seeing that one. It was someone else with what they originally thought was a Glock one from Brownells which turned out to be an Alchemy Arms one that Brownells allegedly shipped because they were out of Scherers. I haven't noticed a height difference in mine.

I just keep finding new uses for the EZ-Lap. :)

10. WalterGA

11. njl

njl Crusty Member

How many of each type of connector have you messed with? Maybe it's just luck, but I was comparing the triggers in my 34(Glock 3.5) and 17(Scherer 3.5) today and the 34 definitely is less mushy has a crisper break than the 17.

After filing of the length off the Scherer's hook (making the profile of the part that rubs the slide look a bit more like the Glock part), the action feels like it cycles more smoothly and I put about 60 rounds through it tonight with no jams. That's not really enough to say anything's changed, but it's a start.

12. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

njl,

It's really not justified to say the scherer breaks clean or crisper the the glock or visversa when trigger bars are not all the same,and trigger bars can be worked to result in a differant feeling pull also,the cruciform is one part of the bar that can be work to create a differant pull.Also some bars have a longer nose(part that cams on the connector)which while create a differant feel.

13. WalterGA

14. njl

njl Crusty Member

Yeah...I know there's rather poor uniformity to the connectors and trigger bars, which is why I said maybe it was just luck that my 34 with all original Glock parts has a better trigger with no mush. I have worked on all the connectors/trigger bars to make the meeting surfaces as smooth as possible...so I'm not saying the 34's trigger was super out of the box.

I put 60 rounds through the 17 the other night after filing off some of the connector. No problems yet, but that's not enough rounds to say anything about reliability. The slide does seem to cycle more smoothly now though.

15. Joe D

Joe D Guest

If you will do a search one will find where I tested all of the 3.5 connectors. This was a true poundage test, not a subjective "I think one is better than the other". Scherer is not my favorite. I just don't care for the increased pull weight with the Scherer.
    My favorite is the old Glock Works/Gun Works connector. I am able to get sub one pound pulls with this connector. I have a couple of these that I am hoarding.
    Most people don't seem to understand that Glock has three different nose profiles on their trigger bars. Each profile will increase or decrease pull weight/length of pull. One can get about the same weight of pull by just altering the nose profile, with the 5# connector, as changing to a 3.5# connector.
    It's all about angles Walter.

16. WalterGA

17. njl

njl Crusty Member

Well...I thought I had this all figured out and was blaming the Scherer connector. Last time I cleaned it, I went back to a Glock 3.5# connector and I had it jam 3 times at the range today.

Each time, I could see that the extracted round had hit the mouth of the top round in the magazine hard enough to leave mark or small dent in the mouth of the top round.

Maybe my magazine feed lips have gotten wider than spec?

Maybe I really should just get a new extracor.

18. Skpotamus

Skpotamus

Not sure if it's true, so maybe somebody with more experience could clarify. Have you had any rusting problems with your Scherer connectors. I was told by an armorer that Scherer connectors aren't made out of stainless steel and will rust and pit badly if they get wet.

Any experience with this happening guys?

19. njl

njl Crusty Member

I don't think any connectors are made out of stainless steel. Most either have some kind of chemical or metallic plating over whatever type of steel the base metal is...I assume that coating/plating acts as a rust inhibitor.

I wonder, does polishing the connector give up that protection in exchange for a smoother pull?

20. Skpotamus

Skpotamus

According to the armorer, the Glock OEM parts are stainless. I took a look at my glock 30 3.5# connector. I had the polish job done over a year ago, it's gotten drenched with me before, and has no sign of tarnish on it.

So if they're plated, it's a thick plating.