Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Me and my dear old dad went and did a little bit of shooting a couple days ago. Dad's not exactly pro handgun, but I managed to convince him to shoot with me. So, after asking my about the controls, he gets a concerned look on his face and asks, "So there's no safety?"

I try to explain to him that Glocks are built with 3 safety mechanisms, but they're entire mantra is that safety is in the operator, not the firearm.

His response is that there are too many idiots out there, and too many retailers selling Glocks to idiots. (I honestly don't think he was attempting to label myself or other Glock owners as idiots, as much as commenting on the people that shouldn't own a firearm buying one.)

He thinks that every firearm should have some kind of external safety, and he doesn't think it's right that even double action revolvers don't have one. He knows that they've been built without external safeties for centuries....

Anyone got any advice on convicing my dad, or others, that the Glock design is inherently safe?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
No, because it is often a waste of time to try to change the minds of people with opinions like that. I have no way to back it up, but I would guess there are a lot more cases of accidental shootings involving people who thought the saftey was on, then people accidentally shooting a gun without a safety.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Well, bottom line for me is, I want ME to be the safety, I want to know that if I pull the trigger, it fires, if I don't pull the trigger it does not. My finger doesn't touch the trigger if I am not intending to fire the weapon...so what is the usefulness of the safety??

·
Giggity-Goo!!!
4,046 Posts
You can't fix other peoples' convictions. Just love your pops and go on with life. There are more important things in a father/son relationship than Glock vs. 1911A1 discussions.

·
NRA Life Member
5,878 Posts
You can't fix other peoples' convictions. Just love your pops and go on with life. There are more important things in a father/son relationship than Glock vs. 1911A1 discussions.
I could not have said it any better myself! Well stated my friend!:thumbsup:

·
Kill 'em All!!
1,125 Posts
Well, bottom line for me is, I want ME to be the safety, I want to know that if I pull the trigger, it fires, if I don't pull the trigger it does not. My finger doesn't touch the trigger if I am not intending to fire the weapon...so what is the usefulness of the safety??
+100000:wavey:

·
Registered
277 Posts
My Father-in-law has a different concern. And it's for his daughter. He has a Glock 19. I have a 17 and 26. I mentioned that the 26 would make a nifty "purse gun". He disagreed. His reasoning was that a purse is a different animal than a purpose-built holster that hides the trigger. There is just too much crap in a purse that can catch on a trigger unintentionally and cause an AD. After looking in my wife's purse, I have to agree. :supergrin:
Soooo...it looks like we will be looking for a pistol with a more positive manual safety. Possibly a Walther PPK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Father-in-law has a different concern. And it's for his daughter. He has a Glock 19. I have a 17 and 26. I mentioned that the 26 would make a nifty "purse gun". He disagreed. His reasoning was that a purse is a different animal than a purpose-built holster that hides the trigger. There is just too much crap in a purse that can catch on a trigger unintentionally and cause an AD. After looking in my wife's purse, I have to agree. :supergrin:
Soooo...it looks like we will be looking for a pistol with a more positive manual safety. Possibly a Walther PPK.
She could use a tight fitting pocket holster in her purse.

Jimmy

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree that the Glock 26 is a great purse gun! I am planning on getting one for my wife to carry in her purse. She is very adament about safety so I will be teaching her to never keep it chambered while it's in her purse. It's not really that big of a deal to spend a half a second racking the gun if needed. Hopefully just the sight of the gun will deter any threat she could be facing. Just my 2 cents!

·
Glock Gimp
13,852 Posts
Bang! Darn I thought the safety was on. What a needless crutch.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree that the Glock 26 is a great purse gun! I am planning on getting one for my wife to carry in her purse. She is very adament about safety so I will be teaching her to never keep it chambered while it's in her purse. It's not really that big of a deal to spend a half a second racking the gun if needed. Hopefully just the sight of the gun will deter any threat she could be facing. Just my 2 cents!
We were having a big discussion about not keeping a round chambered on the Walther Forum (P99). There is a video on YouTube of the Israeli technique of draw and cock. It is VERY fast. Your 2 cents makes sense. :supergrin:

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
We were having a big discussion about not keeping a round chambered on the Walther Forum (P99). There is a video on YouTube of the Israeli technique of draw and cock. It is VERY fast. Your 2 cents makes sense. :supergrin:
As long as you can still use BOTH hands...and you don't experience a failure-to-feed while racking.

(If a knife attacker has slashed your arm or hand, say bye bye to racking that slide)

·
Registered
277 Posts
As long as you can still use BOTH hands...and you don't experience a failure-to-feed while racking.

(If a knife attacker has slashed your arm or hand, say bye bye to racking that slide)
Yep....that was also discussed. I think there is also a thread about it on this forum. There are techniques to cocking a semi-auto without using two hands.

As to failure to feed...with reliable mags and ammo, that shouldn't be a problem. Here's the Israeli video. I sure wouldn't want to try and outdraw these guys with any weapon!! :shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdZ...B6F56317&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=22

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ask your Dad, respectfully, why he thinks those idiots who would negligently press the trigger on a Glock or revolver would suddenly get wise and actually USE a safety? And even if they did, why would they suddenly smarten up and use it properly?

·
Tackleberry
895 Posts
Show him how safe they are. Unload your Glock. Chamber a primed round...one with no powder or projectile. let him see if he can get it to go off without pulling the trigger.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts