Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I made a quick trip to Cody, WY last week, and I promptly lost myself in the Cody Firearms Museum at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West museum complex. One of the main attractions for me was a temporary Glock exhibit, with some rare and prototype Glocks.

One of those pistols was a Glock model 22 RTF1.

Photography conditions were challenging, with each Glock (or group of Glocks) in a sturdy transparent Lexan (?) box, bolted to a white wall, and illuminated with overhead spotlights, but I managed to get a few photos that show some detail of the RTF1 grip and texture. It appears to be a modification of a standard Gen3 frame vs. the all-around texture of the RTF2 models, in that the RTF1 surfaces are just the side grip "panels" and the tips of the front (and perhaps backstrap) checkering. Here are the photos:

Entrance to the Glock exhibit (you can see some displays through the door):
Door Building Room Architecture Facade

Description card:
Text Product Font Line

Wide shot; pattern is not very obvious:
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

On closer inspection, the sharply-cut lines become visible, making small triangular islands:
Close-up Technology Photography Metal Carbon

Otherwise, it appeared in every way to be a "normal" Gen3 G22 model (no special slide serrations or anything like that).

NOTE ON PHOTO USE: These firearm photos may be freely used for educational or entertainment uses, but may NOT be used as a part of or in support of any commercial enterprise, such as (but not limited to) a printed magazine or any Internet-based article(s) on any website or blog, without my written permission. ANY use of these photos must include a link back to this thread, and a photo credit for "DJ Niner".

I have a thread running in the General Firearms Forum with more photos from the museum; I'll be adding more periodically, as I get time to sort through them. If anyone is interested in guns, I highly recommend a trip to Cody's Firearms Museum. In my experience, it has no equal (at least here in the USA). The Glock exhibit is open-ended (no set closing date), but several people I talked to seemed to think it would be there for at least the rest of this calendar year.

·
Premium Member
8,299 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That's AWESOME!!
I absolutely have to get to Cody.
DJ, have you been to the NRA National Firearms Museum? If so, how would you compare to Cody? It certainly seems like Cody is absolutely the best for Glocks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Amazing Museum, was there a few weeks ago for a trip to Yellowstone. Should have planned a full day at the museum.

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing. That's AWESOME!!
I absolutely have to get to Cody.
DJ, have you been to the NRA National Firearms Museum? If so, how would you compare to Cody? It certainly seems like Cody is absolutely the best for Glocks.
Nope, never been there, and to be honest I kind of forgot about that one, so I guess I'm not the best person to say which gun museum is the top of the heap.

Sorry. So much cool stuff, I just got carried away...

·
Premium Member
8,299 Posts
So much cool stuff indeed. I'm sure that Cody blows the NRA away w/the Glock exhibit.
The NRA National Firearms Museum is truly awesome. They may well have the largest museum collection of firearms in the US.
The Smithsonian Museum of American History also has a fantastic collection though, sadly, very little of it is displayed.
I'd also have to point out the DeWitt Wallace Museum in Colonial Williamsburg, VA. They have an absolutely incredible collection of Revolutionary War firearms.

Reactions: DJ Niner

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
That G26C is freaking awesome!!! I would love to have that!!!!

Reactions: FireMedic-50

·
M62/76
13,151 Posts
Thanks for sharing info on the RTF1, wasn't even aware of such a texture. Wonder how many made it out if the factory outside of the one pictured?

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing info on the RTF1, wasn't even aware of such a texture. Wonder how many made it out if the factory outside of the one pictured?
I was also wondering if any made it out (the one above is on loan from Glock, so it didn't technically make it out into the wild, IMO).

I will note that it has a normal production-style serial number, vs. many of the prototype pistols that have "J" or "JQ" prefix serial numbers (those were reserved for factory or special use, like on factory cutaway models), and that the description says "1st one ever produced", which (to me) implies that more than one was made. The user-supplied serial number database here at GT does show one KMG-prefix pistol, but without any numerical serial number digits, so we don't know how close it was in production to the above model. I think the normal serial number is a good sign; maybe a handful (or a bunch) were made for a police contract, and were later sold as used pistols. Without a box to identify it, most folks would probably blow-off the different grip texture as a semi-custom job by some small-town gunsmith. But now that we've seen one, clearly identified by the factory (through their museum-provided info) as a RTF1, we'll know what it really is if we stumble across one.

At least in my case, I'll be looking more closely at any Gen3 G22 with a slightly strange stippled-looking grip that I may see in a used rack at a gunshop, or at a gun show, just to make sure it's not an old police surplus RTF1 pistol out floating around. That would be the equivalent of a "barn find" 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge Ram Air IV Convertible for most of us Glock enthusiasts!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I was also wondering if any made it out (the one above is on loan from Glock, so it didn't technically make it out into the wild, IMO).

I will note that it has a normal production-style serial number, vs. many of the prototype pistols that have "J" or "JQ" prefix serial numbers (those were reserved for factory or special use, like on factory cutaway models), and that the description says "1st one ever produced", which (to me) implies that more than one was made. The user-supplied serial number database here at GT does show one KMG-prefix pistol, but without any numerical serial number digits, so we don't know how close it was in production to the above model. I think the normal serial number is a good sign; maybe a handful (or a bunch) were made for a police contract, and were later sold as used pistols. Without a box to identify it, most folks would probably blow-off the different grip texture as a semi-custom job by some small-town gunsmith. But now that we've seen one, clearly identified by the factory (through their museum-provided info) as a RTF1, we'll know what it really is if we stumble across one.

At least in my case, I'll be looking more closely at any Gen3 G22 with a slightly strange stippled-looking grip that I may see in a used rack at a gunshop, or at a gun show, just to make sure it's not an old police surplus RTF1 pistol out floating around. That would be the equivalent of a "barn find" 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge Ram Air IV Convertible for most of us Glock enthusiasts!
Definitely gonna keep my eyes peeled for one.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
FYI
The Glocks are still displayed at the Cody Museum. It does not appear they are in a special display if I’m reading this right. Although most (about 25-28) are displayed in 3 drawers, they rest are mixed with other firearms in different displays.

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI
The Glocks are still displayed at the Cody Museum. It does not appear they are in a special display if I’m reading this right. Although most (about 25-28) are displayed in 3 drawers, they rest are mixed with other firearms in different displays.
That's good to hear!

I've been wanting to go back and see the museum again, as they had just started some of the upgrades when I last visited, but I was always concerned that the "temporary" Glock exhibit would disappear one day before I arrived (that's my typical luck).

Plus, with the pistols in drawers, I may be able to get some higher quality, more detailed photos of them. Those wall-mounted transparent boxes SUCKED for getting decent pics; I was getting glare and shadows from 10 different angles.

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That's good to hear!

I've been wanting to go back and see the museum again, as they had just started some of the upgrades when I last visited, but I was always concerned that the "temporary" Glock exhibit would disappear one day before I arrived (that's my typical luck).

Plus, with the pistols in drawers, I may be able to get some higher quality, more detailed photos of them. Those wall-mounted transparent boxes SUCKED for getting decent pics; I was getting glare and shadows from 10 different angles.

Thanks for the update.
Overall the displays are fantastic compared to the previous pictures I’ve seen. There are some corrections that need to be made. But it is great. Beautiful facility.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Some of us have talked about a group trip to Cody. We should make it happen. Visit the museum and then hoist some cold drinks...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Have been planning a trip out to Cody and reached out to the museum staff: Unfortunately, we have missed the window for the Glock Exhibit at the CFM. It was a temporary feature and they have changed the display. Actually, the whole museum was remodelled in 2019 and I’m not sure they ever put the Glock exhibit back up.

They did say that the guns are still on display, but are now spread out as parts of other exhibits. Also, if anyone is going there, you can schedule exclusive tours with one of the firearms experts and even schedule a meeting with the curator where they will open displays, let you look at/handle the guns and they will take you into the vault if there is anything you want to see that’s not currently on display.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts