Glock Talk banner

glock reloading > sloppy chamber issues

2914 Views 24 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  J Lee
hi everyone, been wanting to buy my first glock , was looking at a G41 ..but it has come to my attention the glock barrels are not meant for lead bullets , chambers are loose also and expand the cases causing unsafe conditions for reloading with the form fired brass, chamber pressure ect ... anyone on here reload for thier glock and do you use an aftermarket barrel ?
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Part Time
4,779 Posts
I reload for all my firearms (Glocks included) and use the factory barrels for all of them (9mm, .40 and .45.) Well over 200,000 rounds and never an issue. I do not shoot lead, only copper jacketed. I don't find any more noticable expansion in my Glock cases than I do in my other brand pistols.

· Registered
847 Posts
Evening jssyjames;

I reload for all my Glocks, in fact that is about ALL I shoot are my reloads. I do inspect all brass before reloading but seldom find one cracked or damaged.

I also shoot a fair amount of lead bullets in stock Glock barrels. Never had an issue but I do clean the barrels often when shooting lead. I do try to keep the pressures & bullet speeds down when shooting lead though.

The thing I DO avoid is shooting lots of lead THEN putting a high pressure jacketed bullet down the bore without cleaning/de-leading first. To me that seems like poking a tiger (he might lie down & purr or might take your hand off).

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feedback guys... what I read basically is glock sacrifices case chamber support (around feed ramp) for reliability , easy chambering rounds ... and this lack of chamber support is dangerous in high chamber pressure and weakens brass extremely ... now I'm wondering if gen 4 models have addressed this issue, if it is even an issue ..??

· Registered
2,863 Posts
thanks for the feedback guys... what I read basically is glock sacrifices case chamber support (around feed ramp) for reliability , easy chambering rounds ... and this lack of chamber support is dangerous in high chamber pressure and weakens brass extremely ... now I'm wondering if gen 4 models have addressed this issue, if it is even an issue ..??

What you've read is false.

· U S Veteran
2,472 Posts
Other the 22 LR, I always shoot some kind of plated bullets.

· Registered
4,538 Posts
I agree your beliefs are unfounded - glocks run fine even with lead bullet reloads. With lead clean bore every 200 rounds or so- a few passes of a brass brush and patch are enough - and as long as reloads are properly assembled you will never have a problem.
Most negative reports are the result of poor quality reloads which would cause issues regardless of brand or type

· Registered
39 Posts
I have tens of thousands of lead reloads through my stock glock 23 barrel. As long as you scrub the barrel well with a decent bore cleaner you will be fine. Never noticed any bulges brass even with the high pressure of the .40 round.

· I'm not retired
8,500 Posts
You mention the 41. Although my opinion is the case could have better support, it is by no means dangerous. I did notice it when I got my first G41 home and stripped it down. Factory ammo is not tight in the chamber, but it's not sloppy, either. My first hundred rounds through the gun, we collected about 80 casings that I could get to, easily. They aren't buldged and are in my reload bag. Have since added two more 41's with the same story as above. It's a great gun, too, BTW.

I keep Magtech GG 185 gr 1148 fps and 542 ft lbs in a few mags for HD. I have noticed about 50% of them have a very slight buldge, but nothing as bad as I've seen laying on the ground, before. Honestly, I do not save that brass to reload.

· Registered
8,238 Posts
My Glocks never get factory ammo. If you make good reloads, then your gun won't notice the difference between factory ammo and reloads -- except your reloads might perform better.

EDIT: I shot a couple of mags of a friend's model 41. I really liked it, and would have not problem owning one. Of course, it would only eat ammo produced on my loading bench.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
I shoot a lot of lead out of my stock Glock pistol barrels.

I clean my barrel frequently, and I don't do mag-dumps, so I can feel every round, and if something doesn't feel right I can stop shooting.

I cast my own lead bullets.

· Registered
10,030 Posts
I keep Magtech GG 185 gr 1148 fps and 542 ft lbs in a few mags for HD. I have noticed about 50% of them have a very slight buldge, but nothing as bad as I've seen laying on the ground, before. Honestly, I do not save that brass to reload.
And that's another strategy: Buy whatever SD ammo you want (I use Hornady Critical Defense in my G36) and if you ever shoot it, leave the brass behind. It's probably plated and the brass is more brittle than unplated brass.

Then, get some new Starline brass and use it for reloading to more modest velocities. The pistol will be a lot more fun to shoot.

As to lead bullets, sure, hard cast lead will work fine in Glock barrels (think S&S Casting bullets, among others). However, new reloaders would be better served by loading jacketed bullets for a while and moving to plated bullets over time. Yes, plated bullets cost more than lead but unless a person shoots a LOT, it really doesn't matter. No matter what, reloads will be about half the cost of boxed ammo.

Richard

· Registered
3,636 Posts
hi everyone, been wanting to buy my first glock , was looking at a G41 ..but it has come to my attention the glock barrels are not meant for lead bullets , chambers are loose also and expand the cases causing unsafe conditions for reloading with the form fired brass, chamber pressure ect ... anyone on here reload for thier glock and do you use an aftermarket barrel ?
I have after market barrels with Ballard rifling that is better suited for lead. However, I generally shoot coated or plated bullets in the factory barrel as it is more accurate.

I have loaded more than 250,000 rounds fired from Glocks I don't feel they make "unsafe conditions" more than any other firearm.

· Banned
16,041 Posts
" ..but it has come to my attention the glock barrels are not meant for lead bullets"

Gee I shouldn't have fired all the tens of thousands of rounds of cast lead bullets out of my Glocks,95% of all the ammunition fired out of my Glocks is cast lead bullets. SJ 40

· Registered
10,030 Posts
The problem with this persistent Internet rumor is that there is some basis in fact.

Glock, in their Armorer's Manual, states that only factory jacketed ammunition is acceptable. There are two parts to that statement: Jacketed and Factory. Reloads aren't factory, by definition, so they're out regardless of the bullet. Yet, here we are... Then there is the 'jacketed' thing. Well, shoot, we might as well ignore that too! We're on a roll!

GLOCK pistols should only be fired with factory loaded, jacketed ammunition in accordance with CIP/SAAMI and/or NATO pressure standards.
Richard

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.