close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock reload times

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by aaroncstevens, May 7, 2006.

1. aaroncstevens

aaroncstevens

Ok, what is a good reload time wiht a glock? I'm new to glocks (was an XD man, but saw the light), and am reworking my reload drills. We're talking slide lock to first shot of new mag. Whats a good time. I can hit 3 seconds, but worry that this may be woafully slow.

Also, for my dryfire work, I've heard that letting the slide slam home is tough on the extractor if no round is present (obviously, in dry-fire, rounds aren't anywahere around...).

Last question: I've heard that it is importnat to pull the slide back, then depress the slide release instead of just pulling the relase and letting it slam home. Is this true? I've been pulling back, then releasing, and its killing my times. Any advice?
    Thanks
    Aaron Stevens

2. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Hello Aaron,

I'm "assuming" that you are currently shooting IDPA and are loading from a slide lock. If so, measuring your time from the last shot from the dropped magazine to the first shot of the new magazine, you should try to achieve a 1.75 second reload time.

If you are shooting IPSC, reloading from the slide lock will take extra time compared to dropping a mag with rounds and reloading while the slide is forward. You should try to achieve a 1-1.5 second time lapse.

If you must load from "slide lock", using the slide stop to drop the magazine is the best and fastest method. It will not harm your Glock.

Dry firing and dropping the striker on an empty chamber will not effect your Glock.

I hope that I have answered your question.

"Have fun shooting"
    Bobby Carver