Glock Recoil Spring??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by re223, Jan 10, 2010.

1. re223

re223

I've noticed that the end of my new Glock 19 recoil spring assembly moves at least half way out of the half moon cut below the barrel even after only one full racking of the slide. Is this normal for the large end not to return back into the half moon shaped cut below the barrel after each time I reassemble the gun and cycle the action?

2. j-glock22

j-glock22

I believe that is normal. As long as you put it in properly when you assemble it, it is fine.

3. kda

kda NRA Life Member

Same here ... I am curious as to why if anyone knows. If the "upper" position (out of the half moon position) is they way the weapon is built to function, then why are we supposed to put in the half moon cut out position to reassemble it?

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

No, that's the way it's built to assemble it.....the round notch on the barrel lug is an 'assembly notch'. The rear end of the recoil guide rod is supposed to move down into the frame for functioning....it pushes against the frame to push the slide forward. If it stayed in the round notch, it would be pushing against the barrel, and that wouldn't work,

Because failing to insure that the rear end of the rod is all the way into the round notch every time you put the slide on the frame can cause damage to the rear end of the rod (or to the frame in the subcompact models).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. tango44

tango44

Sorry maybe my question is off topic but anyone knows if the 4th gen recoil spring assembly will work on a third gen Glock?
    Thank you

6. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

It will not. The 4th Gen used a dual recoil spring which requires a different slide configuration.

7. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Both slide and frame.....if I'm understanding it right.