Glock Talk banner

Glock recoil spring cleaning

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  voyager4520 
#1 ·
I was just curious if anyone has noticed any carbon or copper buildup on the recoil spring/rod and if so then is there any way to actually clean both parts of the recoil spring/rod. I haven't had any issues with that happening yet with any of my Glocks but was curious if that is something I should look out for or if its a non-issue at all. Especially with my Gen 4 G26 with the dual recoil spring, I just wanna keep that working smooth since it is my favorite gun to just shoot for fun and for concealed carry when I respond to house calls as a firefighter/emt in my own personal vehicle.

#2 ·
I don't think it's a problem. I usually wipe mine down when cleaning, but don't spend much time cleaning them well. I've really never heard of a factory recoil spring related issue (besides the Gen4 fiasco). They are pretty bullet proof. I would just wipe off the outside of the spring. If you want to clean the actual rod, you can install it in the gun, then lock the slide to the rear. The rod will stick out the front, and you can clean most of it. It's not that necessary. You are supposed to replace the things every 5,000 rounds or so. It won't get dirty enough in that time span to cause problems.

#5 ·
add some of your favorite cleaner with a toothbrush and wipe down. With the Mpro-7, its easy to spray on and wipe off or air dry. You can take a piece of cloth and wipe it thru all the groves on the spring every once-in-a-while if you have the time. Better yet, if you use a stainless steel then you can just take it apart and do the cleaning much easier. A stainless steel one is also cheap ($20) and can use the factory spring.

#8 · (Edited)
I use a patch with Ballistol and fold it around an old expired soft plastic ID card I have, and I use that to get between the coils. Before I field strip the gun I lock the slide back so I can clean the forward portion of the guide rod with q-tips with Ballistol. After I'm satisfied that it's clean I wipe it relatively dry with dry q-tips and a dry cotton rag, again to get between the spring coils I wrap the rag around the ID card.

#9 ·
I usually hit mine with a toothbrush and some hoppes. I don't spend too much time scrubbing. then I use some electronic spray cleaner(similar to non-chloro brake cleaner, Casey synthetic spray, etc) to get all the oil and residue off. if it squeaks, ill put a drop off oil and that's it.

#10 ·
I use the hickok45 method of cleaning with the old tooth brushes so I think I'll try that out with my recoil spring/rod also by using an extra brush just devoted for that... I have made notes of these other tips too and will try them out also until I find one that I prefer most

#11 ·
I use a patch with Ballistol and fold it around an old expired soft plastic ID card I have, and I use that to get between the coils.
That's a damn good idea! I don't see me spending a lot of time cleaning the RSA but when I DO, that idea is quite good ... and easy to do. Thanks!

#12 ·
dont use q-tips or any kind of cotton based patch..........it will throw a lot of lint on there.

#14 ·
I use a patch with Ballistol and fold it around an old expired soft plastic ID card I have, and I use that to get between the coils.
That's a damn good idea! I don't see me spending a lot of time cleaning the RSA but when I DO, that idea is quite good ... and easy to do. Thanks!
I do the same thing to clean in the slide rails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.