close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock problems

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by W.T.D.D., Feb 29, 2004.

1. W.T.D.D.

W.T.D.D.

I am new here and need a little help. I have a Glock 17 in 9mm, that shoots low and left about 1 1/2". Have tried different rounds but I still find myself needing to adjust High and right. In doing this I can blow the center out of the target but I know somthing is wrong.
    Question.
    1. Would you think this problem would be me, ammo, glock?
    If the glock what can be done. Would just getting a adjustable site and replacing the fixed site do the job? To me thats just working with the problem. I would like to know what is causing this.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Rick: It's a matter of your not being "broken in" to the Glock trigger. Do a GT search for "low and left" and you'll find eleventy-zillion posts about newbie right-handed Glocksters shooting low and left. There's also a chart that's posted in some of the threads that'll explain the "cure" for various unintended points of impact.

3. RandySmith

RandySmith

1-1/2" low at what distance?

You could go to the next higher rear sight, which would move the impact about 3" up at 25 yards.
    Move the rear sight a touch to the right to correct the problem of impacting to the left.

Randy

4. WalterGA

Or, he could learn how to shoot a Glock! ;)

5. vinnieglkm17

vinnieglkm17

It's trigger control low and left seems to be popular for new Glock shooters myself included

6. RandySmith

RandySmith

When someone is shooting *only* 1-1/2" low, my first thought isn't that they are doing something wrong. I did ask for the distance they were shooting.
    Groups 1-1/2" low at 25 yards doesn't immediately suggest a shooter problem.
    Too little information to be sure of anything at this point.

Randy

7. W.T.D.D.

W.T.D.D.

Ok, you wantmore info, I dont know exactly what else to tell you. I am not new to shooting. While at Ft. Carson I was on the pistol team for the 124th Signal Btn. I was shooting a Dan Wesson .357 I shoot at a outdoor and a indoor range about twice to three times per week. This is my first glock and as I shoot it the groops are very tight but with the problem discribed. I am not shooting for speed I shoot for accuracy. I am not shooting reloads yet (I am setting up my press)I clean my glock and brand X right after I finish shooting. I do not have this problem with brand X (.45 cal).
    Thanks for the info on the search.
    Oh, lead not fmj, I know not to shoot lead then fmj without cleaning.
    In other words this is not my first Rodeo. That was why I was asking about if the mod 17 had a known problem or what?
    Again Thank each of you for your post and help. I have more questions but first things first.
    I plan on being here for some time. Name may change if I can ever get someone upstairs to answer my e-mail's (but thats another post)
    Rick

8. RandySmith

RandySmith

Yes, more info. 1-1/2" low at what distance?

Randy

9. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Yeah, what distance? How far away is your target?

1 1/2" low and left at 25 yards with a decent group says you might need to move your rear sight up and to the right.

1 1/2" low and left at seven yards says you may need to work on your trigger control.

Also, don't be too surprized if trigger control is the problem anyway, the Glock trigger is different from most, it can take a little getting used to.

When I started using Glocks I had eight years with the Minnesota National Guard Rifle & Pistol team and three state police pistol championships under my belt, but the Glock shot low and left for me until I started working the trigger right.

You know what a 'ball & dummy' drill is, right? Try it with your Glock, you might be surprized.

;?

10. WalterGA

He gave all the information necessary. He didn't say 1 1/2" low, he said, 1 1/2", low and left. He also said he's new to Glocks. The problem is obvious, as is the fix.

11. RandySmith

RandySmith

You had to *assume* this person was right-handed AND the target distance is short for the 'left' direction to be indicatave of a shooter problem. Probably valid assumptions, but assumptions just the same.

The distance figure still has not been specified.

Randy

12. W.T.D.D.

W.T.D.D.

Right hand and right eye dom. Dist. 25yards, Yes new to glock but not to auto's. Shot Groups very close not spread over a area, nice and tight.
    Sight non adjustable. Did have one on it when I got it but sight was broken. Replaced by gunsmith with factory sight. Do not know if front sight was changed.
    Yes I do know what the "ball & dummy drill" is and will need to get snap caps from gun shop or order them.
    Im glad that some of you see/know what the problem is. Mind telling me?
    I have had this glock for less than a month but have so far put one case of shells through it so yes I do practice with it. Results do not vary from day to day.
    Indoor range,
    Eyes open,
    Cant think of any mor to put down.
    Thanks again.
    Rick

13. WalterGA

As I said.....

14. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

:) Well said.

Most of the time people new to Glocks say the gun shoots 6 to 8" low and left at 15 to 25 yards. That tells me, almost without fail, that there's probably a trigger control problem simply because Glocks don't shoot that far off point of aim.....at least I've never seen one that far off. There have been a couple posted here that may well have had a problem, but not being there, I didn't see them.

In your case, since we're only talking an inch or two at 25 yards, a sight correction may well be all that's needed. I think you should drift the rear sight to the right a bit and see if that corrects the windage.

If that centers up your shots well, then you'll want to correct the elevation. The best way to do that would be to replace the rear sight with the next higher one that Glock offers for that very purpose.
    [​IMG]

Get some dummy rounds and use them anyway though, the worst thing they can do is make you concentrate more on your trigger control.

Let us know what happens!

;?

15. RandySmith

RandySmith

Yea, you sure had this guy's problem pegged... except for that pesky distance figure. Changes everything, no?

Sorry, 1-1/2" low at 25 yards (with tight groups, I might add) isn't a trigger control problem. Contrary to popular opinion, there is no special technique required to shoot one of these things.

Randy

16. 1badcisco

1badcisco Oz Glocker

Gday Rick
    I agree with Randy, its a matter of sight adjustment.
    You know how to shoot a revolver, so a Glock is no problem to shoot well. I believe if one can master the double action pull on a revolver any semi auto is a piece of cake!
    And a Glock, although the trigger is a bit different, especially the first shot, still requires fundamentally the same method of actuation - namely a direct rearward press using the pad of the index finget. Watch the sights, follow through, call the shot - I believe you know what I am talking about.
    As soon as you mentioned the rear sight was changed it kind of gave it away. :)