Glock poly front sight....what the ??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ViperR, Feb 23, 2020.

1. ViperR

ViperR

Hey all,
    Ordered & received a Glock polymer front sight as a spare for my G44 & G43X, just to have on hand and to put in my spare parts bag. It was only $6 shipped and came with the screw. Both of my Glocks have the standard .165" fronts. The one I received measured .200" from the top to where it rests on the slide (no, I didn't include the white tab that indexes in oval hole).
    I thought all models had the .165". What did this taller one come from? Didn't know they offered any different fronts. Just rears.

Lt. Donn likes this.
  2. ak103k

ak103k

Maybe when you draw them up tight, they get shorter. :)

3. G21H30

G21H30

Not questioning your measurements but both of the front sights I removed from both of our G44's measured .165. :dunno:

4. ViperR

ViperR

Good one! Joshing the new guy, will you?
    I'll have to get a pic up shortly to show you guys. It's a full mm difference.

ak103k likes this.
  5. L-2

L-2

#6956 is a 4.1mm (.165") Glock polymer front sight. This is what the OP wants.

#33258 is a 4.9mm Glock polymer front sight. This is probably what the OP received.

There are now more than one front sight heights for Glocks.

Lt. Donn and Buckshot Barry like this.
  6. mongo356

mongo356

There are two different sizes now per armorers course. 4.1mm (.161") & 4.9mm (.193")

Like you though when I put my calipers on them they measure .165" & 200" American

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  7. ViperR

ViperR

Thank you all ! Yes, looks like I was shipped the taller one. Well, I'll contact the seller. It didn't say in the description on the height.

8. ViperR

ViperR

Well, the seller was very sorry and he's sending me the .165" and screw for free. Told me to keep the taller one. Nice of him. He even said the taller one uses a longer screw, so he's including a new screw.
    I'll give it away in the "free to a good home" thread.

boilergonzo, MNBud, Glock 17L and 2 others like this.
  9. MNBud

MNBud

That is very nice of both of you gentelmen.

boilergonzo likes this.
  10. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

I have a box full of Glock polymer sights. I should probably just throw them in the garbage where they belong but I have a hard time throwing away any gun part. Not a one of my Glocks wears a set of polymer sights and not one would. I’m tempted to pick up a metal set of Glock factory sights for my Gen 2 19 just so it looks period correct though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SARDG likes this.
  11. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

Plastic gun--plastic sights, good enough.

12. ViperR

ViperR

Thanks MNBud,
    Nice of you to say! The taller one didn't even make it to the "free" thread because I was at the range today and another Glock shooter was shooting still too high even having the lowest 6.1mm on the rear. I had the taller front in my bag, so I gave it to her. The gun shop was installing it for her, but I left having a lunch date and didn't see her results. I'm sure I'll run into her sometime at the booths. Went to a good home and I always feel good when I pay it forward.

13. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Yep...like Lima 2 posted...[they] make multiples...I'll bet a phone call will get you on the right path

14. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Except no... that dang front sight is just waiting to be ejected down Range. Ask me how I know.

boilergonzo likes this.
  15. ak103k

ak103k

Same goes for the steel sights. I lost a new night sight while shooting. Was mostly point shooting and didnt notice it was gone until the end. Screw was still sitting on top of the barrel too when I took it apart to clean.

Was a bit pissed off too, as the sights were new, and I got to thinking about it while I was cleaning the gun, "its a friggin night sight!". Went back over to the range that night after dark with my el-cheapo Gen 1 NV monocular and found it in just a couple of minutes. Just glowing like a ***** there in the grass. :D

SARDG and FullClip like this.
  16. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

That was just due to lack of loctite being used when installed. Im talking about the front sight actually breaking off and I’ve only ever seen that with factory plastic sights.