Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was out for lunch at a favorite BBQ restaurant here in the Little Rock area when I see a family seat themselves at a table near my wife and I. I quickly note the dad has a GLOCK hat and a loose fitting, unbuttoned flannel shirt over a t-shirt. He takes his seat, bends over slightly and there it is... The tell tale CCW bulge on his right hip!

Of course I’m likely as obvious in my Columbia fleece vest covering a Gen4 G19 carried IWB. I would like to think in the colder weather my vest is as normal as his flannel shirt.

My question is based on the “firearm branded” hat. I tend to avoid wearing “gun guy” clothing with gun brand logos while carrying in public. This is an attempt to become more of the grey man blending in with the crowd. I honestly would not have seen him print had it not been for the hat.

Do you avoid “advertising” your gun brand while carrying?

Edmo

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
10,413 Posts
I have a Glock t-shirt that I purchased a few years ago but I only wear it around the house. No advertising for me either.

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Registered
19,815 Posts
The closest thing to gun logo'ed clothing that I own is a Benjamin pellet gun hat that came as part of a promotional and a ball cap with an orange Ruger bird logo emblazoned on it. I don't wear the Benjamin hat for fear of starting a stampede in a California grocery store, and I managed to black out the orange Ruger logo with a sharpie for fear that some CA liberal would give me a USSR salute in a case of mistaken identity. The Ruger hat is wax coated and kind of nice on a rainy day.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I do. The only time I ware gun related clothing is when I’m going to the range to shoot or just hanging around the house. Likewise no advertising on my car’s.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
"Location, location, location....."
Never always a good idea but never always a bad idea....
I live in rural eastern Kentucky (small community of 12-1300).
There are exactly three certified CCDW instructors in the community; I am one of them (14 years and 500+ applicants).
In this setting, it's quite literally a non-issue.
When I travel to more populated/urban areas like Louisville or Lexington?
Then, I do take greater pains to fit in."

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wear my AK Operators Union hat to the range and sometimes out around. 99.9999% of people have no idea what that is anyway. Eating out with the wife the other day and a kind of uneasy looking guy was sitting in the booth behind us. Was a buffet place. She says, that guy keeps looking over at me, hope he's not up to something. I said, see the guy at the table beside him in the flannel? no worries, he's carrying also. It's something that I take notice of. I told her where to look and she could tell as well then. Situational awareness. I'm sure there is plenty I miss, but trying to be better at it. But no, no stickers or anything on my vehicle, clothing or anything else that might tip someone off.

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
I was out for lunch at a favorite BBQ restaurant here in the Little Rock area when I see a family seat themselves at a table near my wife and I. I quickly note the dad has a GLOCK hat and a loose fitting, unbuttoned flannel shirt over a t-shirt. He takes his seat, bends over slightly and there it is... The tell tale CCW bulge on his right hip!

Of course I’m likely as obvious in my Columbia fleece vest covering a Gen4 G19 carried IWB. I would like to think in the colder weather my vest is as normal as his flannel shirt.

My question is based on the “firearm branded” hat. I tend to avoid wearing “gun guy” clothing with gun brand logos while carrying in public. This is an attempt to become more of the grey man blending in with the crowd. I honestly would not have seen him print had it not been for the hat.

Edmo
There's a thread at the top of this page called something about being The Gray Man or something read it. Real good information

·
Registered
32,917 Posts
Man, I've collected a lot of such swag over the years from the different gun company reps when going to armorer classes, or from when they'd just stop by the agency range to say hi and leave some promo gifts. I've got a stack of different gun company ball caps sitting on a shelf. The apparel, mostly hats and t-shirts, only gets worn either at the range (and not often), or maybe around the house. No way in hell I'd wear it away from the house, or anywhere else in public.

Then again, I don't wear sports team apparel, either.

The only ad-type ball caps and shirts I wear in public are from cigar companies.

When I was a much younger man, and a passionate Ruger owner, I used to wear a brass Blackhawk belt buckle, and even remember wearing a t-shirt with the same Blackhawk logo. My only excuse was my youth. ;)

Nowadays, while I have a collection of belt buckles stored away, the specialty belt buckle I'll occasionally wear is the sesquicentennial badge my former agency briefly authorized for official wear, as a uniform badge, a hat badge and as a uniform belt buckle. It required signed letterhead in order to have it made by our badge provider, and I had my badge number replaced by a "retired" flag. I only wear it when it's either covered by a garment (sweater, etc), or when I'm among known company, such as at my private cigar club.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yes, no brands, stickers, etc., except a Support Blue flag on my vehicle.

I was going into a federal courthouse, having left my gun behind, of couse, and had to remove my belt to go through the metal detector. The marshalls gave me some extra scrutiny when they saw the 511 logo on my belt, and that was pretty subtle.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,966 Posts
You saw me the other day at the restaurant and I was carrying my MP9 Compact 2.0 with a spare magazine and you didn't even notice..

I'm average height, medium build, brown or dark blond hair, medium complexion, wearing medium dark clothing.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking
2,784 Posts
Years ago I got a personalized vehicle tag for my truck: RUGER
Traded trucks and did not renew tag

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts

Edmo
I advertise for competing brands, to confuse everybody. If I wear a Glock hat I make sure I'm carrying an H&K for example.

Kidding...

If I wear something firearm manufacturer branded, or similar, it would fall under the category of "most people don't know" (kind of like the theory some people have of poor concealment 'most people won't notice). Something like "BCM", not many will know what it is and they don't even make handguns. Not that "gun guys" won't see it as a billboard, but whatever

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
I drive a 17 year old PU truck that's been a well used work truck. It has a few old NRA stickers and a bumper sticker that says, "Gun Control Means Using Both Hands". In this still "somewhat rural" area of Va., everyone knows that the driver of a truck like that, even without the stickers, is probably armed..........and they're correct. No biggie to me. As per hats and tee shirts advertising, I don't have any.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.