close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock or Revolver for first time gun owner for SHTF

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by maginboo, Jan 7, 2010.

1. maginboo

maginboo

My wifes partner is preparing for SHTF, getting food together, etc. She is in her early 60s and neither her nor her husband has ever fired or even handled a firearm. They want to know what they should get.

In addition to advising them to get professional training, I was going to recommend:

20ga. Mossy
    and a Handgun (Glock 17 or a SW 686 .357 mag)

I am in no way an expert and wanted input on good advice to give them so would a revolver be a better choice than a Glock for a Handgun for them?

Any other firearm recommendations would be welcome.

2. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

I think your recommendations are quite sound...

I would recommend that they get some initial training before buying a gun, some places offer basic programs that will allow them to try out different things to see what they like the best, but you seem to have given good advice...

3. FlyBoy007

FlyBoy007

I've had issues with Smiths, I recommend a Ruger, cool if you can find a Security Six but GP would be great.

Other then that I would give the same advice.

4. Solesurvivor

Solesurvivor

I would suggest they go to a range and try out any weapon they may purchase. Everyone has different ergonomic requirements, recoil sensitivity, mechanical inclinations, etc... Mrs. Survivor shoots the S&W 586 very well, she shoots her G19 very well, she does not dig my G21 or any of my 1911s. While the choices you suggested are very sound, the operator of the weapons must ultimately decide. They can't make a sound decision unless they fire them. Most ranges have the guns you suggested and rent them for $5-$10 a session. I'm a gun enthusiast, and I've never purchased a single gun with which I have not shot. Good luck.

5. why

why

I always recommend a revolver for 1st timers. Your logic is sound tho.

6. Fisher 21

Fisher 21

Two is one, one is none...

Remind them of that while they are interested in buying.

7. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

I like a Glock automatic which is simple to use but more important than the gun is the training and practice, make sure that she knows that she needs to put 1,000 rounds through the tube say 100 at a time before she will be ok with it.

8. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have to agree let them take some training/safety class that allows them to shoot/handle a wide variety of firearms.
    Personally until Glock I would ALWAYS recomend a 4" revolver for a first time handgun. The ease in loading/reloading/mag cap make it attractive even for new shooters.

9. Calhoun123

Calhoun123

You're on the right track. I would tend to recommend a Ruger SP101 357 loaded with 38s. For a long arm, I would suggest a .22 rifle - Ruger or Marlin auto. For pistols, I would start with a .22. A cheap double barrel .20 ga or even .410 would be OK for the long arm. I tend to want to keep it real simple for a senior citizen who has no background in firearms.

10. bogey3737

bogey3737 diablo azul

686 or Ruger GP100

11. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I have struggled with this kind of thinking for a long time.

My theory was that a revolver would be the better choice for someone who is not a firearms person. Experience has taught me that most people prefer a Glock to a revolver, even if they aren't firearms people... :supergrin:

The reality is, they need to try them for themselves to know for sure.

12. fnfalguy

fnfalguy Supreme Advisor

I agree to have them get some training and also rent some firearms from a local range. While not my favorite pistol, I've shot several Taurus .38 Special revolvers and they are a good value for the money in my opinion.

13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I would not suggest most double barrel shotguns for new shooters. Its heavy/costly. Exposed hammers have thier own problems.. With quality Rem 870, Moss 500 available I find it hard to suggest a double barrel. (now if they already own one) I personally WANT a double barrel/exposed hammer (coach) gun. I realize it has many disadvantages to a stock 870

14. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Cant go wrong with a revolver or Glock although I prefer 15 rounds over 6. Why a 20 gauge shotty and not a 12 gauge? Although it is more powerful, its also a more widely used caliber and maybe easier to get ammo during SHTF.

15. Morgo

Morgo

4" 686 with .38 special ammo :)
    Most if not all new shooters I take to the range find this to be the easiest pistol to operate and shoot.

16. Varghedne

Varghedne

Tell em to drop the shotgun and get two glocks instead.

17. bdcochran

bdcochran

My life experiences:

1. recommending professional instruction is a recommendation that falls on deaf ears. Some day take a poll here on how many people have a. paid $300 for a combat shooting class; and, b. can shoot and reload accurately while moving. I dare say that the answer to point a. is darn few. And, the number who can do b. can be counted on toes and fingers.
    2. now that you understand that people won't pay, you go very simple.
    a. you buy a .38 special revolver for the car and one for at home. It doesn't take much brains to load and shoot. remember, these people have never paid for a class, don't appreciate why you pay a class either.
    b. the .38 special doesn't need adjustable sights. just make sure that the pinkie finger can rest on the grip or replace the grip.

Yes, with parents' permission, I had an 11 year old nephew take a class that taught how to completely disassemble a Garand and resassemble. His parents then held his Garand for him until he came of age. He was also taught (monkey see/monkey do) how to make safe, load, fire accurately a Glock 17 and shot over 1000 rounds over 2 days. Comparing an 11 year old with an interest to a couple in their 60s who never had an interest and who are concerned about money for retirement is like comparing apples and oranges.

18. CrazyFeet

CrazyFeet

lots of good answers and reality is none are that much better than another IMO

but me personally id go with the g17 or 2 and a bunch of ammo but i would want them to shoot it first... surely someone would lend them one to shoot first... i know i would

19. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

A long gun has a much wider range of uses than two Glock handguns. Hunting/gathering, shooting semi-accurately out to 100 yards, etc.

I also think a 12 gauge is a better choice.

20. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

You have people in their 60's!

Your answers are from a younger generation.

An auto takes many more steps to load, unload, check to see if it is loaded.

It takes strength to retract the slide.

You are talking about people that have never shot a gun!

Your frame of reference needs to be theirs not yours.

A revolver is the easiest to learn.

There is Nothing wrong with Smith or Ruger.

It should be whichever They can pull the trigger on and which one feels best in Their hand.

At a least an NRA (available everywhere)basic level gun safety course.