close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock or Revolver 4 my Wife?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DanRoid, Feb 18, 2010.

1. DanRoid

DanRoid

We just took our CHL/CCW class and applied for our permit. I have just purchased a Glock 23 to carry, but I'd like to hear what other women preferr to carry.

Glock...or Revolver???

2. Nutt51

Nutt51

My wife has a S&W 640, .38spl. 5 shot, no external hammer.
    Depends on the Woman and her proficiency with firearms.
    I like a revolver to learn on. My wife only has to draw
    her pistol and pull the trigger. She will practice double action
    shooting later. With a revolver, if it's loaded and holstered,
    you draw and fire.

A semi-auto pistol takes more intensive training and concentration.
    More variables to master. Carry one in the chamber or not, safety
    operation, learning to rack the slide, slide lock, magazine function
    and how to change them out. You have to be safe and use common
    sense with all guns, but you have to know your gun and how it
    operates and my wife feels more comfortable with a six gun.
    Good luck.

3. Zonny

Zonny

:agree:

I carry a S&W 442. Quick & simple.

4. Sierra Bravo

Sierra Bravo

my wife carries a G19 loves it! but keeps trying to "Borrow" my G22:cool:
    the 19 is a great gun easy to control / low recoil and not obtrusive in concealed carry mode.

5. Harleyguy1998

Harleyguy1998

My GF would be carrying a revolver. Guaranteed to fire on the next pull (unless you have 5 or 6 duds), not affected by limp wristing - will always feed and cycle.

6. lima

lima

What does she want to carry?

I flat out told my husband I would only buy a gun if he let me choose it for myself. Bless his heart he let me do my thing and it turned a simple purchase into a life-long pursuit.

On my 21st birthday I walked into a gun shop with a couple hundred dollars my husband had given me for my birthday and my mind set on a semi-auto.

I had to fight, threaten, kick and scream to get the guys to give me what I wanted. They kept trying to force me into a revolver telling me that an auto is harder to train with, I won't like the recoil, it's too big for me, etc, etc, etc.

I finally had to tell them to sell me the gun I wanted or I'd take my money elsewhere.

I walked out with a 1911 and have continued to carry a variety of guns from revolvers to other autos and back again though I still prefer my beloved .45 acp 1911.

What did she qualify with at the class? What did she think of it? Is she willing to put the time in to get the manual of arms down?

What did she like about what she shot? What does she think could make it better?

What does she want?

Why not let her pick?

7. glockguy101

glockguy101

holy crap! your here~

im a youtube subscriber btw.

and i agree i took the wife in tonight and let her choose on her first pistol, the ruger mark3

8. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

I thought this thread title was a trade offer... I was gonna ask for pics... lol

9. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I hate revolvers. The grips are all awful. The only revolver I use is a S&W 686 in .357 w/6" barrel, and only for hunting javalina.

For carry, I love the S&W M&P 9mm compact. Adjustable grips - 3 options - ergonomic perfection - Glock should've done this, but since they didn't...

Anyway, I carried an HK USPc for the last 12? years.

And just because I have 2 X chromosomes, doesn't mean I cannot handle mag changes and and clearance drills. I really like having 16 rounds instead of 6. Anyone who carries a semi-auto with no round in the chamber needs their head examined. And anyone who carries ANY firearm without practicing with it regularly is fooling themselves. just my $.02. I could be a lily-livered, liberal, tofu-eating, PETA freak of a soccer mom for all you know.

Mrs. Cicero -who thinks the lady should try a whole bunch of handguns and then pick her own

10. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Let her decide. Its important that she pick her own gun.

11. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

Guns are like pants.

Ones that fit and are comfy will be worn every day. Ones that are too tight or don't feel/look right stay in the drawer at home.

I don't let my man pick out pants for me, in the same way I don't let him pick out my guns for me. Suggestions I always appreciate, as long as he respects my mindset. He's really good to help me train with whatever new piece I pick up!

It's best to let her choose. Get things as hands on as you can with her. Let her hold every gun in the store, at several different stores. Then go home and take a break so she doesn't have to choose one "now."

12. purpledragonlily

purpledragonlily

I agree with everyone who says let her choose! I love semi autos and have several. My favorites are the Glock 19 and 36, and the Browning Hi Power.

13. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I prefer to carry a Glock G36 over anything else I own.

Has your wife been able to "test drive" some revolvers and other non-Glock guns?

14. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

I let my wife make her own mistakes. Her first choice was a Taurus PT111... junk. Broke the first time we fired it.

After firing every handgun I own, she stole my G36 and I only get to see it on alternate weekends

15. Lew-G17

Lew-G17

Find a range that offers rental guns or some friends with collections. Let her handle and shoot anything she is interested in and let her choose. I was able to support my wife's choice this way and she loves the Sig P6 and Beretta PX4 Storm pistols.

Did not like, Kahr, Browning HP, 1911's, Beretta 85, any revolver, Walther PPK, Glock 19,.... you get the point. Choosing a personal firearm takes time and the person needs to pick what works for them.

16. flieger67

flieger67

I completely agree, lima. If the OP wants his wife to be comfortable with and enjoy shooting a gun, SHE has to make the choice.

When I got my 19 in January, my wife (who's never fired a handgun) went with me. Fortunately, the employee at the shop who did my purchase paperwork was a woman and also a CCW instructor. She made my wife feel comfortable about getting involved in handguns and strongly recommended getting whatever my wife felt comfortable shooting, regardless of it being semi-auto or a revolver.

My wife took a "basic handgun" class at the range a few weeks later and just bought a Beretta NEOS in order to get more comfortable shooting and handling a gun. Once she's ready, we're going to rent more guns OF HER CHOOSING at the range and see what she likes. While I'd be happy if she chose a Glock, the important thing is for her to be comfortable. If she's not comfortable, she won't practice as much and without practice, she won't be proficient should there ever be a time when she'd need to protect herself.

And to the OP, if your wife is anything like mine, do NOT try to push your opinion or preferences in handguns on your spouse. That will just tick her off...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  17. FrogWithAGlock

FrogWithAGlock Girl with a Gun

I carry a Glock 19, in either a Tommy's Gun pack, or a belly band (sometimes high on my ribs, almost 3 o'clock, sometimes down on my hips, like an IWB, at 1 o'clock).

I am girly enough. But have zero problem carrying with a chambered round, clearing my own jams, racking the slide, or changing magazines. I can shoot equally well with both hands (or single handed), and don't need a man to clean my gun for me.

I have small children, am a soccer mom, and volunteer in my children's school (where I obviously do not carry). I carry (when not at the school) to protect my children, and get us home safely, should anything bad happen. I love my husband DEARLY, but cannot and will not wait for a man to take care of me (besides, one of us has to work, lol).

I like that my glock will go BANG if and when I need it to. Just because I am a girl, doesn't limit my choices. My next gun will be a rifle, a shotgun, or a .45, because those are the three at the top of my list (money is the only thing stopping me). I bought the G19 first, because I'd shot one before and fell in love, and ammo is (WAS) cheap. Not because it's a more girlie caliber, etc.

18. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I'd go with a shotgun next. You already have a carry piece so the .45 can wait. A rifle is fun too. A shotgun (to me) makes for a nice home defense weapon (or Katrina situation). Check out the Mossberg "just in case" model...JIC II...

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28&display=desc

19. FrogWithAGlock

FrogWithAGlock Girl with a Gun

That does look like a nice gun. But I need the rifle for leagues. Borrowed one last time around, and did well, but would like my own before I compete again.

20. bartonaasi

bartonaasi

My wife had wanted a revolver initially. After renting a S&W 38 Spcl she quickly changed her mind. She tried a few autos and wound up with a Springfield XD subcompact .40. She loves it and is very accurate with it.