Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been considering the Kimber Ultra CDP ll. Went to a 1911 Kimber Forum site and started to read. Got to say, for the price, there sure seems to be a good amount of problems (FTF, FTL, FTE). Am having second thoughts !

·
Veteran
983 Posts
Hi
I have a Kimber Pro Carry II,Nice piece,very Accurate and somewhat reliable. I have 6 Glocks all are very accurate and all are VERY Reliable. I have had several malfunctions with my Kimber. NONE with the Glocks

·
Mike November
518 Posts
Depending on what you want it for you could really go either way. Personally, I wouldn't carry a Kimber no matter how reliable it was. They are just to pretty and expensive to risk the blemishes and wear from EDC. For strictly range use I would go with the Kimber for that helaciously smooth and crisp single action trigger and MOA (lol) accuracy. But for an every day bet your life on it gun, Glock all day long.

Manny

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My need is for a weapon that is reliable, concealable, and will take the beating of a cross country bike trip. Sleeping in the dirt, that sort of thing. I do agree with the looks of the Kimber, beautiful ! BUT, I need something that is ALWAYS functional, guess that would be Glock. Now, if I could decide between the G26, G27, or G36.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
My need is for a weapon that is reliable, concealable, and will take the beating of a cross country bike trip. Sleeping in the dirt, that sort of thing. I do agree with the looks of the Kimber, beautiful ! BUT, I need something that is ALWAYS functional, guess that would be Glock. Now, if I could decide between the G26, G27, or G36.
Everything you just described sounds like it came right off a Glock brochure so I think you answered your own question as far as Glock or not. As far as which model, well that depends on how you plan to carry it. If you plan on keeping it in a bag and not on your person then go for capacity, but if you plan on carrying it on your person then go compact.

I'm going to throw my vote in for the G19. I think it will meet all of your requirements plus the ability to carry if you want

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
G36 with 230 gr FMJ is the answer. That's what I'd take along.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
This past Saturday, I took a trek to visit a 'smith who, a dealer said, had found/created a much more curved trigger for his Glock; turns out the dealer was wrong -- what a shock. However, as we talked, he told me about a LEO friend of his that had acquired a Kimber for carry and he (the 'smith) had suggested it wasn't wise to carry (maybe without work?). The LEO ignored the suggestion, but invited him to do a civilian ride-along which I guess he often does as an armorer/'smith for several local agencies. During the ride they took fire and the LEO returned fire, or tried to. All he got was a click. With no bang, his friend (the 'smith) pulled him down to a position with cover where he had hunkered down, and told him to switch to his BUG -- a G19. Maybe I'll give up on the Kimber idea -- "pretty" isn't what I need in a HD weapon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Kimber Ultra CDP ll I just bought one used and put about 600 rounds of ball and 150 rounds of Speer JHP gold dots down range haven’t had one failure. The only failure is I’m out of ammo.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have a two Kimbers (and several other 1911s) and 3 Glocks. I no longer trust any of my Kimbers 100%. My Glocks, I do.

Kimbers are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to 1911s IMHO, mostly because they use inferior parts made of lower grade steel. They sure do look pretty though!

There are far better 1911 options to pick from (more $ obviously), Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, Les Baer, etc. And these are not the types of 1911s to give a beating on a cross country bike trip. I wouldn't worry so much about it with a Kimber...but the reliability goes to Glock.

DH

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I own multiples of each. To me, it all depends on what you want the pistol for (CCW, HD range, etc)

For CCW, I have carried a 3" Kimber more than any other 1911 style pistol. To me, this is the most comfortable & concealable large caliber pistol I've ever used, & I've never had any of the issues often associated w/Kimber or a 3" 1911. If you want more rounds on board, you would do well to consider a G26/27/33, especially when you factor in the costs vs. a Kimber.

If you are looking for an HD pistol or something that you'll use more for shooting on the range or outdoors/woods carry & less for CCW, the compact Glocks really shine here & IMO, can be a better choice than a 1911 when you start comparing weight & round count.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
623 Posts
If wanting to go 1911, go with Springfield Armory. Kimbers are not what they used to be. Personally would go with G27 or G36.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have 2 kimbers but not the one you mentioned. Mine are the all steel ones a custom and a custom II. Both guns have been 100 percent reliable with all types of ammo I have tried. I have used all types I can find and even a lot of reloaded stuff without a single problem. I bought both of these guns new from dealers and outside if changing the grips they are 100% production guns with no type of modifications at all. I have shot a lot of the wolf brand ammo in both with the steel cases with no problem ever. I have 3 glocks 2 I bought new one I picked up used they all have been 100% reliable outside of when I messed them up putting the connectors in 2 of them. I caused the problem and went back and fixed it and they are back 100% now. Around here the kimbers are selling for about $1000.00 each and the glocks run around $525.00 a big difference in cost. Personally I like the kimbers better than the glocks but if my life depended on it and had both lying side by side it wouldn't matter to me which I picked up. Both are great guns. The glocks have almost double the firepower capacity which for a lot of people that's a plus. I am a biker and always carried a kimber on roadtrips for the last 5 years and always had one at hand in the bedroom. When I bought my glock 40 and shot it some. I put it at bedside and put the kimber up. Not that I think the glock is any more dependable but the night sights are great. Now on bike trips I will probably take the glocks but my kimbers will stay They wont be sold to replace them with glocks.

·
Veteran
983 Posts
Glock 26 all the way Bro. Good Caliber,High capacity,Accurate and reliable. With a Spare Mag (either a 26 mag or 19) you could "hold the line" for a while. You could find 9mm ammo at almost any WarMart in the country. Not to mention if your "Bike Trip" takes your to another country. 9mm the prolific round in the world bar none.
Stay Well
1SGMP
out

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was agonizing over the same thing recently. I shoot a 1911 for 3-gun, so I am very comfortable with the pistol. Those Kimbers really look nice, and I was really leaning that way. I simply had to ask myself what my goals were in a CCW:

1. Supremely reliable, will chamber and fire most any round
2. Rugged enough for EDC
3. Fight-stopping firepower and a decent mag capacity.
4. A gun that wont break the bank
5. Quick to deploy and deadly accurate at normal SD range

I went with the Glock 30, and love it. I keep it full of Cor-bon DPX 185+p, which it eats like a champ. It scores a 5/5 in what I was looking for, with the only compromise being a little thicker in the slide. It was the right choice for me, what are your criteria?

·
Viet Nam Vet
663 Posts
I have both a G36 and a Kimber Pro Carry ll. I did alot of research before buying both. The G36 had bad reviews at the beginning, but by now, they are fine. No problems with mine. The Kimbers, are very tightly made 1911's and in the owner's manual, they tell you upfront that it takes 500 rounds to break it in. I put 500 rounds through it, and low and behold, no issues. I carry both with Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP's. The Glock is a half pound lighter then the Kimber, even with an aluminum frame, but the Kimber is slimmer and so well balanced. I have no problem carrying either one. I use a Pearce +1 mag ext on the Glock and a Wilson 8 round stainless steel mag on the Kimber. I just keep an extra mag on me, since i don't normally break down meth or crack house doors. I feel comfortable with either 15 or 17 rounds of .45ACP on me, in my sedate retired lifestyle here in NM. I really think both weapons are fine to carry, and I trust them both explicidly. Yes, the Kimber did need some breaking in, but if you do, it's a sweet weapon to carry. The Glock is a Glock, that's why most of us are on GT You won't go wrong with either one, but having both is a joy forever:cool:.

·
XD40
465 Posts
Kimbers have lots of potential. I was lured by the idea of a 1911 and they look so sweet. I hear the 4" models are great. I bought a new 3" Eclipse Ultra II that was a POS. I fired over 1000 rounds and it still had lots of issues. Sold it after a few weeks. Hated to take such a huge financial loss but why have a gun you are afraid to carry. My opinion...Glock. Thats what I traded it in for. I'll never stray away from what I know works.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Have drooled over some Kimbers at my "fun store" for several months while reading pros and cons online before picking up an Ultra Carry II last week.

Shot 125 accurate, trouble free rounds through her yesterday, and am glad I took the plunge! Having a G36 and G30 among others, glad I tried the Kimber .45 and don't plan to part with any of them. Glocks are more rugged and may continue in carry rotation, but looking forward to the light, slim Kimber being rotated into CCW once break in is done.

I also have had no issues with my G36 that many others have had. Fortunate to have ended up with good ones in both Glock and Kimber!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts