close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock OEM sights question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by armed, Mar 28, 2007.

1. armed

armed lefty power!

Will be putting Glock OEM front night sight on my 23 & 27 this weekend. Is Loctite needed for the stake-on type front sights like Glock OEM?

2. xxlethal9mmxx

xxlethal9mmxx

Locktite is only needed on the bolt on front sights. I recomend the glock "c" clamp front sight tool.

3. dboggny

dboggny

I recently put a GLock OEM crimp on front sight on my 26. I did not think Loctite was needed however, after reviewing the instructions that came with the GLock OEM crimp front sight tool, it showed a step that added blue adhesive around the base of the sight. I assume it is indicating blue loctite, but that is just my best guess. I did not use it becuase i didn't have any. no adverse effects yet. If i start shooting and it falls off, i will know to use the loctite next time. I guess the question of is it needed, the asnwer is no, is it recommended? i guess from those instructions that it is.

DB

edit: for clarity (and it probably still isn't clear)

4. armed

armed lefty power!

Thanks for the reply. I know from experience (unfortunately) that loctite is needed for bolt-on types, as lethal9 said earlier. I've never had any experience with the stake-on types, and was curious. BTW, I still haven't gotten around to getting them on yet.

5. dboggny

dboggny

I have had a fun time with the crimp on front sight. Let me tell you my saga. I bought a new g26 and a set of glock oem sights from the internet. This is a work gun. I brought them to the Dept. gun smith who proceeded to screw it all up. he crimped the front sight on crooked. I tried to fix it by hand (simply twisting it) but couldn't. after a day or so, the sight loosened up on its own, so i brought it back to the gun smith who proceeded to fix it crooked again. I was annoyed beyond belief. Well, after a few hundred rounds and a lot of pissing and moaning, i bought a new front sight and sight tool. I ripped the old sight off with a pair of pliers, cleaned the hole and proceeded to put the new front sight on. Not ever having had any formal gun smithing training, i got it on darn near perfect i think. Here are some tips that i think might help others in this partiuclar situation (the sunday certified gun smith).

!!!!! put a drop of oil on the threads of the crimping tool. why? it will allow the tool to turn easier. ONe thing i noticed, as you turn the screw to close the crimper, it torques to the side, thus rotating the sight to the side and finally crimping it on crooked. YOU MUST must must reposition the crimper all the time to make sure the sight is straight. Perhaps this will be easier if its been treated with loctitie but i doubt the sight and slide will come together enough prior to the crimping to get a solid contact. There seems to be pleanty of room between the slide and sight prior to crimping. I dont think the glock crimp on tool is the best design. The turing of the screw allows for this twisting of both the tool and sight. A tool that allowed for pressure that was downward into the sight and not torquing would have been a better idea. Again not being a real gun smith or very knowledgable, i havent ever seen a sight crimp tool other then glock's. The drop of oil did help in this area though. I hope this is helpful and clear to understand.