Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what the deal is. I've seen a lot of people praise and want the MHS submission of the new Glock 19X. Then you have people whine that's its not what they wanted. Glocks not innovative because they haven't come out with a new design in 30 plus years, but when Sig, CZ, SW come out with a striker fired hand gun the size of a Glock 19 they are innovative? I'm confused about this, I mean its possible to improve on an existing design but technology isn't there yet where a new design can be made. Just my 2 cents, that is all.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I agree. You wouldn't accuse a 1911 of failing to be innovative.

I can't really say that anything game-changing has happened with firearms for. . . centuries? Maybe since the switch to metallic cartridges, but even that's a stretch. Still just using chemicals to push a projectile down a tube. . .

Rail guns and lasers.

·
Constitutional Conservative
615 Posts
I think that the original Glock design had enough innovation to last a long time. Just getting the parts count down as much as old Gaston did was a tremendous innovation.

That kind of breakthrough does not happen on a regular basis.

·
You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,937 Posts
I think Glock has such a huge piece of the market that they only make minor changes for fear of losing sales.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Agree, and that was just one of the several. Getting the world to accept the poly frame, his choice of metal treatments and finish, capacity, bore axis, rifling. All of it had been done before certainly, but he brought it all together and made it something people wanted.

Plus it just worked incredibly well.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Oh yeah, Glock got it SO wrong, I'm surprised that there is even a Glock Talk forum, or that it has more then about five stupid members...
Yep, the 320, M&P, VP9, APX, American, PO7... Glock killers each, by themselves alone, and to think of it, each of them actually had the polymer frame years before the stupid Glock came along and copycatted them, am I right??? (OK, technically, HK WAS the first, every spend much trigger time with a VP70???)
Glock, the loser pistol everyone loves to hate, because it's such a stodgy old piece of worthless crap...

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
That's some wisdom.
I think its funny man, "Check out my new Glock killer Sir P320, lets compare it to a Glock 19". lol
I did not mention Glock or any other brand name. I was just commenting on innovation.

The comparison of one brand/model to another is going to be more effected by personal preference than the innovation or quality of any given design element.

As an example, the newest revision of the Corvette is loaded with innovation and is of much better quality than any of its predecessors. I will not argue these points, but, I hate Corvettes! That is just based on my personal preferences.

·
NRA Life Member
69,073 Posts
I have no idea why we need a "new design."

I hope gun companies don't jump on the same trend as car companies and software companies - make regular changes, whether necessary or not and even if they make the product worse, just so you can make it "new" and sell more.

Personally, I think Glock has already done too much of that, with the Gen 4 and Gen 5. Unless the "innovation" makes some significant improvement, they can keep it.

·
Constitutional Conservative
615 Posts
I have no idea why we need a "new design."
Because... CHANGE!
I hope gun companies don't jump on the same trend as car companies and software companies - make regular changes, whether necessary or not and even if they make the product worse, just so you can make it "new" and sell more.
But that's just what we need.

Tail fins on a Glock! New for this year's model. No tail fins next year, but maybe a spoiler! Make it a woodie with 1911 style grips! A roof rack to bolt on that red dot sight. Now that's innovation!

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
I don't expect innovation, per se, but Glock has been slow to listen to their customers and the marketplace compared to their peers.

• How long did they sit idly by and fail to make a small gun to meet expanding concealed carry needs with the G42 or G43? Way too long!
  • How long did they take to recognize adjustable back straps and offer one? Way too long!
  • The G19x is coming, and one of the "cool" things they are touting is Glock's first colored frame. Alert the presses... some people like gray, green, and tan firearms? Who knew? Not counting their competitors, Lipseys, and thousands of posts on this forum, of course!

Perhaps they will follow CZ and realize that they would sell a LOT of short rifles/big pistols if they offered one like the Scorpion.

The only thing of value that I can think of in the last couple decades that Glock did earlier than most of their peers was the MOS. Other than that, they are several years late reacting. That is not innovation, and it isn't even a decent effort. They make great guns, but they don't have things like an H&K VP9 ergonomics or frame color options their peers do. That is fine, but it isn't the mark of a future industry leader, it is the mark of a status quo provider. The product is still very, very good, but they are spending more time bringing back old, abandoned features than adding new ones.

Unless, of course, we consider an ambi-slide release, rifled barrels, colored polymer frames, or added manual safeties huge leaps forward in firearm innovation! :)

But they are still pulling in tons of money, and you can't argue with that!

·
Shellback
5,837 Posts
I agree. You wouldn't accuse a 1911 of failing to be innovative.

I can't really say that anything game-changing has happened with firearms for. . . centuries? Maybe since the switch to metallic cartridges, but even that's a stretch. Still just using chemicals to push a projectile down a tube. . .

Rail guns and lasers.
1911 is a style of gun, not a company... Big difference. Bad analogy

·
NRA Benefactor
5,788 Posts
After talking to Glock employees, they are so busy keeping up with what they are doing, they don't really don't have time for much anything else. They don't go after people the make similar products, they don't want to make a 22LR pistol (which I think would be great in all of the frames they make), they don't want to make a 22LR conversion which would probably sell very well.

Reactions: vba
1 - 20 of 110 Posts