close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Nostalgia ...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by CW Mock, Jan 24, 2010.

1. CW Mock

CW Mock

A lot of negative threads with injured officers and such lately, so I thought I’d share some thoughts/experiences that are gun and Glock related.

I was sitting here, looking at the guns I still have, and I came across my old warhorse Glock 17. I was doing some dryfire, and generally fondling the old girl, when a wave of nostalgia went over me, and I realized how much I really miss it. It’s a Generation 2 gun, and it’s seen a lot of rounds. The Parkerizing is about all worn off, and parts of the textured plastic on the frame are worn down smooth as glass. The tritium sights on it barely glow anymore. Still runs like a top though, and shoots as straight as an arrow. In all the years I have had it, I have had three malfunctions, two stovepipes, and a partial extraction on a Wolf steel case. I lost count of how many thousands of rounds the gun has had through it, as it was a gun-happy Deputy coworker of my dad who had it first as a duty gun. I got it as a birthday present from the “guys” and my parents years after.

I was reminded of how well I can shoot this gun, and how easy it is to maintain. I don’t mind my Smith M&P, other than the fact it’s a .40, and that’s a caliber that has never been a favorite of mine. The Smith is a well built gun that obviously had a lot of thought go into its design and construction. Compared to it, my Glock is kind of like a plastic AK-47. I wish I could carry my Glock at work, or a 9mm/.45ACP. I kind of grew up with this gun, as it was “my” pistol from a young age. Growing up way out in the sticks, I had many adventure with a dirtbike and the Glock in a GI style nylon flap holster. I know that thing can run caked full of dust and grime.

I was thinking about sending it in to Glock to have it looked over and maybe refinished. At first I thought of hard chrome, but that just seems wrong to do to this gun. I know that some of the springs probably need replacing by now, as I never have swapped them. The most I have ever done was detail strip it every few years and give it a good cleaning. I figured if I was going to start carrying it again off duty at least, it might be a good idea. Has anyone ever had this done before here in CT? Resurrecting an old warhorse and such … I can’t afford a Glock 19, so old faithful will have to step back up. At least Glock magazines are more affordable than Smith ones. Mine are probably in need of replacement or overhaul by now.

Not even sure if this belongs here, but I wanted to say all of you guys who get to pick your own, and carry a Glock 17 make me jealous now. Does anybody still carry “just” a 9mm on duty anymore? Up around here, everyone has .40 caliber fever. This Glock 17 was my first centerfire pistol, and I got it way before the age of 21. It's probably the only gun I will never, ever part with ... and its just an ugly old block of tactical tupperware … Does anyone else have a story about an old faithful?

2. pal2511

pal2511

I dont have much of a story but I still remember getting my first glock.

I bought a glock 27 from "law enforcement equipment company" out of KC, MO. It was the middle of 2002 sometime and I was so excited to bring it home. I got my first law enforcement job and I believe it was during my first month or so of employment I picked it up, might have been even before I was issued my duty gun.

I worked in the jail so they were in no hurry to issue my duty gun :)

3. Broke Hoss

Broke Hoss

All my old workhorses are still around:

S&W mdl 66 issued in the academy. I bought it when they were trading them in for autos. It's been my son's carry gun when hunting till he got his Glock issued to him.

S&W mdl 60 I bought right after the academy; bobbed the hammer myself & still carry it daily as a backup.

S&W mdl 1086 bought it cause it was the 1st auto they authorized. It has the department logo laser-etched on the side. I carry it when hunting; it's a good hog gun.

I've even been known to carry the old 2" Colt Detective Special that my dad wore when he was in CID if I'm on light duty. It's blue with ugly yellow grips that are actually ivory.

My son's favorite plinking/rabbit gun is a .22 Colt Woodsman from the late 30's that belonged to his grandmother.

Even my long guns have history. My dad's Winchester 94, made in '49, is a regular at the deer lease. I took a deer & my son got a turkey with it last year.

These are just some of them. They are a way of staying in touch with our past. We feel like we're taking them hunting with us when we use 1 of thier guns. It's a way of passing on a tradition. My dad passed away before my son was born, but he can tell you the hunting storys that go along with the guns like he was there.

4. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I really wish Glock would come back with a frame without the finger grooves. I liked that style frame so muck better.

5. Zim

Zim

I had a Ruger Vaquero I had to sell to afford my service weapon (a Glock 22, which I also love). Man, I miss that revolver.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

About 1998, I was attending an FOP state conference and they had a shooting match there.
    It was my first Police Pistol Match, and I showed up with my newly issued G22 only to have one of the older shooters say, "Glock? You can't compete with one of those things, you need a single action .45 to have a chance."
    I made sure to look him up after I finished in the top 3.

7. WarCry

WarCry

I'm not an LEO, and I'm a fairly new Glock owner, so I don't have nostalgia of my own. But I was talking to the Chief here in town, a guy who came up (in my opinion) the right way, as a cop, then Sgt, then LT, then Chief over a roughly 30 year career.

He said they had S&W revolvers when they started and polycarbonate batons. Since then, they've switched to Glocks and ASPs. His standing joke is "When I started we had steel guns and plastic batons. Now we have plastic guns and steel batons."

Don't know why, that always struck me as an amusing observations...

8. JTipper.45

JTipper.45

I hate Nike but to coin thier phrase "JUST DO IT!" I bought G19 around 1992 4 years after they started production of them. It was my all around carry gun. When I got into law enforcement I carried it for a while until I was peer pressured into a G21. My 19 went to off duty carry only. It never failed to shoot and I never failed to qualify with it. I sometimes even shot better with it than my full time duty weapn. Then after a while it just went to the safe. After a few years and a few more Glocks I became an armorer. One day I was diggin around in the safe and pulled it out. I held it in my hand for a while, I had forgotten just how good the little pistol felt. I then made my mind up. I went to work the next day and sent in an order for all new internals. A week later everything came in, I spent a few hours cleaning and polishing some of the new parts and put her back together. That afternoon I took it out and ran 3 boxes though it without a hiccup. I now have a belt rig that I put together just for it. Set up the same way as my usual duty rig but just a little lighter. There is nothing like the feeling of having a familiar and dependable weapon on your side with a few battle scars that you can tell a tale or two about.

9. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

You just made me get really mad at myself again, lol. My first pistol was a second-generation G17 that was a Lexington PD trade-in. My stepdad had to buy it for me, because I was 19 at the time. I gave him my tax return money that year, and went with him to get it at a local range. The night sites were about done, and the grips were pretty worn, but damned if it didn't shoot. Stupid me, a few years later I sold it on consignment at that range (stupid, stupid, STUPID!!!!!!!!) to fund a G23. I still kick myself in the *** over that one, as well as my first SIG P228. I traded that G23 with Sidhepro on here for another G17, third generation, and hated it. Sid loved that G23 enough to use it as her duty gun, though, lol. I ended up selling the G17, and buying a used G23 that I used as my duty gun for armed security. Now, my carry gun is a G26 that I won't trade for the world, but I would absolutely love to have that old second-gen G17 back.

I'm with everyone that says Glock needs to get rid of the damn finger grooves; I can't stand them.

10. CW Mock

CW Mock

I have heard a lot of people swear the Glock 19 is the best pistol that Glock has ever made. I shot one once, but don't remember much about it. My 17 has been a great gun, and everything one would expect from a Glock. I never abused it, I just USED it, a LOT. It's worn down now, and could use a facelift. I have never shot a Generation 3 with the finger grooves and such more than once or twice. I don't mind my Gen 2 frame at all. Kind of wish that they made one with finger grooves and no rail.

I'd like to carry this gun just because I know I can count on it. I have seen it with my own eyes - it just goes and goes. No amount of company reassurance, or internet articles can ever do anything for a person to gain that kind of trust. I can't say the same for my M&P. It seems like a good gun, but I have only put a few thousand through it. .40 ammo is really pricey and hard to get around here now, and its a department gun, so I really don't feel comfortable shooting the barrel out of it. Hopefully in time it will gain the same kind of trust I have for my 17. Time will tell.

These don't have to be Glock stories, or just LE. I am sure we all have some to share.

11. CBennett

CBennett

I remember always wanting a Glock...the NYSP had JUST gotten their first ones..but we went with Berettas or S&W's instead. got laid off looked for a job and didnt find one(I could have moved down south to like NC/SC/GA but I was NOT going to do that) didnt have money for much but bills and rent...got into a new career path on the opposite end of LE(keeping them in jail instead of putting them in jail) finally had money then I finally found my Glock a nice glock 23 second Gen...bought it and then tried so hard to convince myself I liked it because I had wanted one so badly lol....but It never did end up "fitting" my hand or me getting used to it like I thought I would...so now im looking for something else lol...my Glock longing long gone :) .

12. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

My 17's a first generation that I bought in 1987 and carried from 1991 until 1999 when I "retired" it due to transition to 40s. The Trijicon sights were installed to replace the factory "adjustables" and still glow, although not as brilliantly as they once did. I like to take it out and play with it once in a while, although I admit that I'd rather be shooting .45s. I will not get rid of that 17, however, because its been thru a lot.

13. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

My reason for registering here was to find a gun for the academy in 2004. I decided on a factory rebuilt G22in Loveland which I bought at Jensen Arms in Loveland, CO.

As soon as I was done with the academy though, I sold it and bought a G26. :supergrin:

14. CW Mock

CW Mock

Hey Cheese,

You carry a 9mm longslide don't you? Or is it "did carry" now? I know you had that Springer Pro on the way.

15. fla2760

fla2760

16. fla2760

fla2760

I bought an LEO trade in G22 from Bud's Guns and it has no grooves. I like it better than my G27 with the grooves. He has them from time to time.

17. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Still carrying the G34. Still waiting for the Pro. ETA is March-May. :upeyes:

I have everything I need for it, except a tape switch for the light.

18. CBennett

CBennett

yeah I specifically got a 2nd gen because of no groves.

19. PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH

I shot my first Glock when Gaston Glock sent a Model 17 to our department for evaluation, it has a serial number in the 800 range and has had thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all. My LT at the time wound up getting to purchase this weapon from Glock after we all got through playing with it back in about what 1984-85?

I still remember teasing LT about it having the plastic box, I asked him if he had brought me a Tuna sandwich in that Tupperware bowl he was carrying LOL man that's been a long time ago !
    :rofl::rofl:
    A couple of years ago he took it to a Glock Armorers School at Glock in GA, they tried to trade him a new one for it to no avail, but he did let them replace all of the springs and striker for him.

I've owned a Glock since the 40 cal model 23 came out in about '86 and still own it.
    :cool:
    Oh yeah here is another with a big hand that likes the earlier Generation Pistols because of the grooves.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  20. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

I really don't like the finger grooves.