Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I am new to Glocks, not to firearms. I have a few questions relevant to my new G19.

1. What is the propper lubrication for a Glock? I have heard everything from bone dry to James Yeager's 3-2-1 principal. Also, I use Tetra-Red grease for my Sigs, will it work ok on the Glock? If not what do you all recommend?

2. Will the 19 handle +P ammo? My Sig will eat the Gold Dot 124+P, will the Glock be okay with it?

3. KCI Magazines???? I have seen them, seen some positive write-ups on them, but not sure what to make of them. Are they on-par with Mec-Gar or ACT (Sig aftermarket)? The price is right, but I'm not looking to waste money on crap.

Finally, I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm just learning my way around this forum. Please forgive the NOOB. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Hello to all. I am new to Glocks, not to firearms. I have a few questions relevant to my new G19.

1. What is the propper lubrication for a Glock?
The proper lubrication is what the owners manual tells you. After that it is probably too much and unnecessary.
I like to use a moly based grease on my Glocks. A little touch on the connector, and slide rails. Wipe a little on the barrel areas and it's good to go. I shoot often and clean completely every time so I think the grease is fine. Some people think it attracts more dust and grit than oil.
2. Will the 19 handle +P ammo? My Sig will eat the Gold Dot 124+P, will the Glock be okay with it?
Glocks shoot +P ammo without a problem, just remember that all guns like certain ammunition and dislike some. Shoot and keep track.
Find what shoots best out of your gun.
3. KCI Magazines???? I have seen them, seen some positive write-ups on them, but not sure what to make of them. Are they on-par with Mec-Gar or ACT (Sig aftermarket)? The price is right, but I'm not looking to waste money on crap.
I like Glock mags, don't have any experience with the after market mags.
And... welcome to the forum. :wavey:

·
Not chillin’
5,079 Posts
Any decent-quality gun oil will work just fine. I personally use CLP, just because it's what we used in the Corps.

+p will not be a problem.

I'd stick with factory mags, too. On other guns at least, I have had problems with non-factory mags.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Welcome, glad to have you here. Congrats on your 19. As a general rule, Glocks tend not to be as ammo sensetive as other pistols. Stick with the factory mags, KCI's and others have proved not to be as reliable as the Glock mags.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When it comes to lubing my Glocks, I use James Yaeger's method, and it works fine for me. It is also simple to remember.

Not sure about the ammo, as I have a .40.....

I would only use Glock magazines. No cheap junk or aftermarket parts. Also, beware of gunshow magazines. I went to one a few weeks ago, and found someone selling magazines for $5 each. Upon closer inspection they were generic magazines w/ Glock floorplates.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks for the quick and informative responses. Its good to know about the ammo and the lube method. I did a few searches on the mags (after the fact) and came up with the same answer you guys gave. Too bad Mec-Gar doesn't dabble in polymer. I think I'm gonna like this gun. If they are anything like Sigs...I see more in my future.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Some people here like the KCI mags. I tried the KCI mags with my G19 and thought that the springs were weaker than the Glock mag springs. Tried them and had a couple of FTF's, which I never had with Glock mags. Sold the KCI's and use Glock only now.

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
I think the 3-2-1 method is correct.

As for Tetra, I've used it without any problems and some say it's preferable to oil in summer months because it won't evaporate.

However, just the other day after cleaning another pistol I noticed a buildup of a white substance in the slide rail that could only be coagulated Tetra. (The pistol operated flawlessly a few hours earlier)

I removed the white substance with a toothpick covered with a clean patch. I then sprayed the dry rail recesses with Remoil. The Tetra still goes on the lug and top of the slide that moves over the barrel hood.

Like the other poster said, if you find any ammo too hot for the Glock it's something we've not heard about.

I know nothing about the Korean magazines.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't like the white Tetra either. I've been running the red stuff in the syringe in all my guns with a light coat of CLP or M-Pro7 as a finish preservative (slide frame etc). As for the mags, Glock only, ammo whatever fits. I like it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And one last question. AS with all metal framed guns, is there a 500 to 1000 round break-in period, or should it be good to go out of the box?

·
Registered
14,520 Posts

1. What is the propper lubrication for a Glock? I have heard everything from bone dry to James Yeager's 3-2-1 principal. Also, I use Tetra-Red grease for my Sigs, will it work ok on the Glock? If not what do you all recommend?

Covered in the manual. They take very little lube. I use Rem oil or CLP.

Also in the manual. IIRC, +P is fine.

Lots of opinions on these. I've not had any problems with them (nor have the folks I know who got them). Check other threads. You will find that the KCIs are different in that they are Glock licensed (when they sold Glocks to South Korea military and LE). (Don't know about the Kahns). They are much better than the other aftermarket Glock mags. Get two, run enough ammo through it until you reach your own decision. There are some who won't touch then; but then if you look at the 1911 guys, most all of their mags are aftermarket!

Finally, I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm just learning my way around this forum. Please forgive the NOOB. Thanks in advance for the help.
No problem and welcome aboard.

·
Walther PPQ
1,512 Posts
1. Follow Glock's guidelines.

2. Yes.

3. Use Glock factory magazines. Don't put cheap knock-off crap in your gun.

How did I come to these conclusions? Ask my 17 year old Glock 17. Bone stock, and sans occasional recoil guide rod assembly replacements (regular maintenance) it has been absolutely 100% reliable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts