Glock newbie questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jeebs40, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Jeebs40

Jeebs40 Guest

Hello, I am new to Glock talk. Just bought my first Glock a few months ago. I'm the type of person that has to upgrade everything that I am not satisfied with. (instead of buying a $1000 pistol I would rather customize it myself) I also know that some of the factory parts on a Glock are much more reliable than their aftermarket counterparts. Well the first thing that had to go was the trigger (lets face it you may not want to admit it but Glock factory trigger is sorry) so I installed a Glockworks Fulcrum trigger (VERY NICE!) I am looking into purchasing a CCF raceframe in stainless steel and need to know if anyone on this forum has had experience with them? I know that alot of you guys like the polymer frame, I prefer cold hard steel. I also know some of you guys are thinking if you want steel buy a 1911, I like to have things that you don't see every day, I mean see lots of Glock's lots of 1911's you don't see an all steel Glock very often. Thankx

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Welcome Jeebs!

Why don't you just get a CCF stainless frame, a Caspian slide, and a Bar Sto barrel, then you'd have everything.....except a Glock. If I had $700 to blow, it would be an interesting toy to play with, but it would be much heavier than it needs to be for carrying, it would be no more reliable, and probably not noticeably more accurate.

At any rate, let us know how it goes if you get the frame!

3. mteagle1

mteagle1

Welcome to GlockTalk

I guess the reason you don't see very many steel Glock's is that it isn't necessary to spend $1000 to upgrade a Glock. I don't know what a Glockworx trigger feels like but I would rather spend $199 on ammo after doing a 25 cent trigger job. If you just had to have a super duper trigger job my only recommendation would be Charlie Vanek. I have one that has a 1 1/2# trigger but he isn't doing inhouse work anymore.

If you are doing all these upgrades just to have a range gun then it fits in the tacticool category. If it is a competition gun then I am not sure where you plan to shoot it because several categories have been excluded by your modifications.

4. Jeebs40

Jeebs40 Guest

No it's just a tactical/range gun. I am planning to change the barrel, I think I am going with a KKM custom fit barrel as they have much better reviews for quality than Barsto and there cheaper too. I guess I was checking into the steel frame because a gunsmith I was talking to told me some problems that Glock 22's have with their frame. He told me that the frame is the same as the 9mm model and cannot handle the torque of .40 cal over time and will most likely fail prematurely. He also told me the 10mm and the .45 acp models do not have the problems because they have beefier frames. I don't know the truth of the matter but I do know some police dept. are having problems with them and I have read some of the reports. Unfortunately the info of what causes the said problem is hard to find. I know just recently the Milwaukee WI police dept. switched to S&W M&P and sold all of there Glock 22s to Cabelas (Where I got mine) and they aren't the only ones. There is a significant amount of play on the slide to frame fit that has me worried to say the least. The weight is defiantly not an issue, just wanted to make sure that CCF raceframes were reliable enough to spend $300 on.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. Fugitive74

Fugitive74

My $.02,

Put the Glock back to stock and sell it, buy your CCF race frame and build your Not-A-Glock, it's not like you can't get all the necessary parts, you're already tossing 2/3 of your Glock out the door anyway.

As far as the .40 cal failures, I've seen one, attributed to reloaded ammo and some casings that had been reloaded too many times.

6. mteagle1

mteagle1

As far as I have been able to research the only problems the G22's have had is after a non-Glock light was attached, there have been failures to feed traced to weak magazine springs. Newer magazines have 11 coils instead of the original 10 and a different follower. The slide to frame fit is because the frame flexes in firing helping to reduce recoil. In the competition world the CCF frame has a love/hate relationship. Personally I would rather spend the $300 on ammo, along with the $250 for the trigger and another $300 or so for that custom fit barrel and I could probably get pretty good hitting a piece of paper.

7. j-glock22

j-glock22

A stock Glock works best. Don't believe me? go check out Hickok45 on Youtube and his stock glock collection. Doesn't make sense to me to spend even more $$$ to change half or more of the parts in an already well-made peice of machinery...
    That aside, WELCOME to GT. There is SOOOOOOO much to learn and enjoy here, hopefully will help you make the best desicions and choices for your new pistol.

8. Jeebs40

Jeebs40 Guest

Alright, I was just going on what I have heard. I don't know anything about about the .25 cent trigger job but the Glockworks trigger is awesome and in my opinion well worth the $170 I paid for it (light, short, and snappy). I used to have a Kimber custom 2 and I personally like the Glockworx trigger more than the trigger on my 1911. The only reason I am purchasing the aftermarket barrel is because I usually re-load all my ammo which is a no no for glock barrels. I am not no expert but the gunsmith I talked to is and he seems like he knows what he is talking about. No disrespect intended to all you Glock lovers but there is no doubt in my mind that there is a problem with this model otherwise police departments would not be jumping ship. Unfortunately I heard nothing about it until the gun was already purchased.

9. vmann

vmann Controller

the glock trigger is a work of art if you ask me, but i bought combat pistols, and like to keep them "combat"....

you are taking the combat out of the perfect combat pistol....

10. Jeebs40

Jeebs40 Guest

I don't know how I took the combat out of the combat pistol? Trust me if you had the opportunity the see first hand how superior the Fulcrum is to stock Glock trigger you would be amazed to say the least. My Glock is noticeably more accurate, the trigger is alot more comfortable, feels more solid, and has a nice crisp snap. I will admit that I hated the Glock stock trigger because as I mentioned I used to have a Kimber custom 2 and being used to that trigger setup the Glock felt really sloppy. Don't get me wrong I like my Glock alot and I am not here to bash Glock in any way but perfection is not always perfect and there is room for improvment. I am just concerned about what I have heard.

11. GP55445

GP55445

I've had my g22 since 1990 with zero problems and not one FTF/FTE. Sorry, but I'm not buying the weak frame story. I'm sure some genius cooked up a wrong reload that surely could have resulted in a frame problem, but listen to the group here and save your $ and keep your gun as is.

12. feelinlucky?

feelinlucky?

Hmmm...anybody else smell troll?

I'm new here on Glock Talk...here's all the stuff that is wrong with your guns. :whistling:

If I am off base, my bad.

13. Jeebs40

Jeebs40 Guest

Trust me I'm not no troll. And have had no failures of any kind, infact after I changed the trigger I fell in love the way this gun shoots and feels. I am just trying to figure out if there is a problem with the frame because there is more play in this gun than I have ever seen. I mean the gunsmith that told me this story could just be a Glock basher. like I said this is my first Glock and I am no expert.

14. Jeebs40

Jeebs40 Guest

Thank you for saving me some cash. If what your saying is correct I should have no problems because I do not plan to attach a light. I just had to make sure I didn't buy a timebomb. The way that gunsmith put it that it was only a matter of time until it fails, which as I'm sure you can understand made me a bit concerned. I don't know what his motivation would be to feed me a bunch of b.s.

15. vmann

vmann Controller

welcome aboard...i know one thing your new stock glock wont do that your kimber did, and thats jam...enjoy the glock

16. Jeebs40

Jeebs40 Guest

It's also quite a bit more accurate then I expected not quite as accurate as the Kimber but thats a match grade barrel. I didn't have too many jams with the Kimber but it has happened and I do have to admit I have put about 1000 rds through the Glock with minimal cleaning without even a hiccup.

17. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

He's right! But it's not likely to be in your life time.....

It's either lack of accurate knowledge or prejudice......or both.

18. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

I reload my ammo and have been shooting my stock G22 with the same mags since 1991, everything still works great, and the frame is fine.

:50cal:

19. Jeebs40

Jeebs40 Guest

Do you re-load brass from your G22 or do you load new brass? I stopped saving the brass from the Glock after inspecting the shell casings and found most of them are bulged slightly. I really hate throwing away brass before I get a few reloads out of it.

20. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

I inspect them before reloading and some do not show the bulge like others do, but I only reload a case twice. Also, for target shooting I do not use a hot load as I see no purpose in that. I keep it loaded the rest of the time with factory defense ammo.