close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock newbie questions about sights

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by brianr34, Dec 31, 2009.

1. brianr34

brianr34

I purchased my first Glock (G19) about 2 months ago. It has the factory night sights installed. The sights are OK, but there is not much daylight on each side when the front sight is centered to the rear.

My current intentions are for this Glock to be my "all in one" handgun. (home defense, target, IDPA and CCW).

I have a few questions about the sights. It seems like the factory night sights would be good for home defense and CCW.

Are the factory nights sights good enough for decent IDPA? I am thinking for IDPA, I would prefer a black rear with fiber optic front and some more daylight.

What is a good sight combination for IDPA? If you have a link that you can attach, that would be great.

I have never removed or installed Glock sights. I have only watched a couple videos. If I remove the factory front night sight, is it ruined or can it be re-used. It appears that it is a compression fit.

My understanding is that aftermarket front sights will have a small hex nut to attach the sight. Will my slide accept this style? It almost seems like there is not enough clearance to the barrell.

Thanks for any help.

2. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Yeah, the OEM night sights--made by Meprolight--are of the combat-type, and they're great for bull's-eye shooting out to 30-feet or so; and they're fine for center mass shots out to 50-feet or better. But they're not the best target sights.

The G19 will do it all!

Everybody Needs A G19! :supergrin:

Agreed.

I have just that on my G17--Dawson Precision Adj/FO sights from CGR; they're awesome!

http://www.custom-glock.com/index2.html

But they're not a good pick for a CCW, as they sit too high and have too many places to snag on a quick draw.

My G17 (attached) is a dedicated range gun...

I would think Trijicon or AmeriGlo would serve well.

http://www.ameriglo.net/

Others will, no doubt, chime in with their own sights preferences! Many are excellent alternatives!

AmeriGlo Operator sights have a white marker on the front sight only, but three tritium lamps for a night sight picture. In particular, I like the Operator sights with green (front) and yellow (rear) lamps.

You know, I bet AmeriGlo could set you up with a front sight to use with your OEM rear sight. This would save you money and work... Why not ask them? Be prepared for first-rate product and customer service!

Phone: 770-390-0554
    Fax: 770-390-9781
    Email: sales@ameriglo.com

It is a compression fit, like a rivet, and not meant to be reused.

Right again! Sounds like you've got this figured out! Just be sure to order the right sight set for your specific gun.

Indeed, aftermarket front sights usually attach with a hex nut, and yes, while clearances are tight, it does work well. Many come with installation tools. Use Loctite and be sure all contact surfaces are absolutely cleaned--this includes fingers--before installing. Make sure the last adjustment is a tightening adjustment.

Any time!

Let us know what you do, and how you like it! :thumbsup:

--Ray

3. brianr34

brianr34

Thank you for the detailed response.