close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock mounted Crimson Trace no go

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glocks&Ducs, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Am I the only one to notice the fundamentally poor design of the Crimson Trace laser grips as they apply to the Glock?

I recently got one of these, and as soon as I installed it, I could tell it wasn't quite right. There is nothing functionally wrong with the laser itself, except for your grip has to be just right to activate it at times, and yet at other times, it activates too easily. Like when you are pushing the gun back into a holster.

But that isn't really what bothers me about it. The thing I don't like, is how difficult it is to rack the slide with the laser installed. It nearly renders the slide serrations useless on one whole side, because you can barely place your fingers on the slide enough to pull it back. You are pretty much stuck racking it from forward of the ejection port. And that is kind of difficult to do since it is fairly smooth up there.

I haven't seen anybody mention this before, and my hands aren't that big. So I thought I would put the FYI out there before anyone decides to drop some big bucks on one of these. It isn't what I paid for mine, but I know most shops sell these for $250 or more.

2. tostada

tostada

Yeah, I always thought from looking at the CT Glock grips that it might be obnoxious. I just figured most people thought it was easy to curl their fingers above the laser and apply most of the force with their thumb to rack it.

You could always get one of those Caspian slides with the serrations in the front.

3. Blackadder

Blackadder

I really like the CT grips, but I have big hands and long fingers. It's almost impossible for me to pick my G17 and G29 without the laser coming on. Contrarily, a friend of mine (with average-sized hands) has a hard time keeping the laser activated while shooting my guns.

If your hands are not all that large, I can see how they would be a little awkward to operate. And, yes, racking the slide takes a bit more dexterity with the grips on.

I love mine for concealed-carry, but usually take them off if I'm shooting more than 100 rounds in daylight.

4. Canon9

Canon9

Sorry, I can't relate to the Glock/Crimson Trace problems you are having. I have one mounted on my 22C and it has functioned flawlessly. Nothing gets in my way.

5. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I didn't say I was having problems. I said there was one thing I didn't like about it, and I felt other people should know about before spending half as much on these grips as a new Glock costs.

Perhaps we are not talking about the same laser grips, or the one on the full size Glocks was designed so it isn't in the way. But I can tell you without a doubt, on the G19, the laser gets in the way of a quick decisive racking of the slide. In order to rack the slide in a malfunction drill, one would have to consciously pay attention to where his fingers are going in order to keep them from hitting the laser pod. If you are playing games and hitting paper on the range, that is all fine and dandy. But if you are using your gun to save your life, I don't think it is fine.

6. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

These pictures show what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my normal, racking the slide, finger position. Although it looks like it, my fingers are not touching the frame, but you can see they cover all of the slide.
    [​IMG]

When I try to grip the slide normally, it is impossible with the CT installed. My index finger has decent, although not usual placement, but the next two fingers would clearly prevent me from racking the slide all the way.
    [​IMG]

I could train myself to use a halfass and unnatural finger grip, but who is going to do that in the pressure cooker?
    [​IMG]

7. DepDuke

DepDuke Glockitall

Get a unit from LaserMax. Dump the CT. I have killed three CT units and still have the LM1141 in my G17 that I bought in 1998.

8. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

To be honest with you. I don't feel the need for a laser, and can't see myself carrying with one. I just bought this one to see what they were like, and I figured I could sell it after a few days of messing with it if I didn't like it, or maybe it would change my mind on the issue. It is definitely going back up on the auction block. I just thought I could spare some people the waste of money, if they were about to spend the full asking price on these. Like I said before, they are fine as range toys, maybe even as training aids if they are employed properly. But I definitely wouldn't carry with it.

As far as the Lasermax is concerned, that one is even further down on the list. It actually involves messing with the functioning parts of the gun. And I have read of way too many problems with them. I think they have gotten better over the years, but I know they were quite problematic for a while.

I was just surprised to not have seen this issue on the CT discussed before. Or maybe I just missed it. But I think this is why so many of those go for so cheap on the used market. At least cheap, compared to new price.

9. DialTone

DialTone

Couldn't agree more...it's all internal! :thumbsup:

10. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I have only addressed the CT grips in the broad strokes, saying that their impact on the gun's ergonomics, just didn't work for me.

Again, over thousands of rounds on two LaserMax units, in G19 & G21, both have given great service! In the latter, even in 10 mm mode (KKM Conversion Barrel), while the LaserMax operation was negatively affected by the modification, the gun cycled the 10 mm Double Tap ammo just fine, round after round.

--Ray

11. G36Packer

G36Packer

Glocks&Ducs,

That looks like a very awkward way to rack the slide even without the CT. I can see why the CT would interfere. I have always racked the slide in one of the two ways below. It all depends on which way I need to point the barrel.

1) Grasp the front of the slide with index and middle finger in front of the ejection port, thumb on othe side and press toward the grip.
    2) Thumb longways above the CT laser with index and middle finger on oposite side and pull the slide back while pushing the grip forward.

12. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

It probably looks awkward because of the way I am holding it for the picture. But there are is a reason I don't do it the ways you have described.

1. There are no serrations in front of the ejection port. The rear of the slide serrations, and using your entire hand and fingers give 80% more grasping power, in my opinion. Especially if the gun or your hand was wet and/or slippery for any reason. Also, with your hand and fingers the way you mention, your hand could slip back and block the case or round you are trying to clear, causing it to fall right back into the chamber. Or you can even pinch your hand.

2. When I am trying to quickly rack the slide, as in a malfunction drill, I tilt the gun to the right and rack it forcefully. By using the thumb only on the right side, the gun has a tendency to roll to the left, again possibly dropping the case or round you are trying to clear right back into the chamber.

The methods you describe are all fine and dandy when you are shooting at paper targets. I wouldn't want to resort to them in a real life or death situation, so I don't practice them. Your mind and body automatically does what you have been doing(your training), when you don't have time to think about it.

13. Kwesi

Kwesi

I also have large hands and long fingers and the CT works perfectly for me on my G26 and G30.

I do understand the problem of trying to rack the slide with my right hand, not easy!

I have found it easy to use my left hand, starting more in the middle of the slide, and it racks just fine.

I couldn't be happier wit the CT's.

14. rrr

rrr

I have a CT on a G27 and don't have any problem racking the slide. I just grip above the laser. No problem whatsoever. With just a little practice I can turn the laser on and off with my grip.

Nothing "halfass" about it.

Any slight modification I needed to make to my grip is outweighed 10x by the benefit the laser gives me. I've found CT grips to be top quality and the company is great and really stands behind them.

But if it doesn't work for you try the Lasermax.

15. rainmaker95

rainmaker95

You people are scaring me.I should have read this thread an hour ago.I just ordered a set of ctlasers grips for my g27.I,m more concernd about the pin that you have to drive out of the trigger housing.Has anyone had any problems with that.It seems to me that any pin holding the trigger housing would be spring loaded for the trigger.Any info on that.Thanks

16. rrr

rrr

Don't worry. The pin comes out without any problem. Just use the tool they give you. It's not spring loaded. It takes a minute to take out and put back in.

I love the CT with my G27. Just give yourself a chance to practice a little shooting with them.

You'll be amazed how you can shoot on target, while keeping your eyes on the target from almost any position. It's also great for dry practice because any flinching or mashing will be obvious with the movement of the beam.

So relax and enjoy them.

But don't take my word for it. Do a search on CT grips and you'll find the positive outweigh the negative by at least 10-1. Also much of the negative (about lasers) comes from people who have never used them or if they have they most likely haven't practiced or taken the time to train with them.

17. Rebel_James

Rebel_James

I've had no problems with my CT Lasergrips on my G27. They were pretty much on target out of the box. It only took a little adjusting to dial them in where I wanted.

As far as the grip activation button, I LOVE IT! I don't see how it can't be turned on when gripping to fire the pistol. If I want it off all I have to do is relax my grip slightly.

It needs to be removed when you clean your pistol, which is no problem. The zero stays the same when you re-install it.

Anyone looking for CT Lasergrips go to www.impactguns.com

They have the lowest price I've found on them.

[​IMG]

18. Kwesi

Kwesi

rainmaker: the pin comes out and goes back in with ease; literally seconds! the CT grip went on my G30 in seconds.

sighting tip: to adjust the POI up/down and or left/right turn the appropriate adjustment screw, with the included wrenches, in the opposite direction that the manual states.

take some colored tape and wrap it around the allen wrenches or your bound to lose them - they are tiny.

I love my CT!

19. rainmaker95

rainmaker95

Thanks for the info all.Now I just have to wait for them to get here.By the way I got them at cheaper than dirt for the price of 162.00.But you have to join their club to get them at that price.

20. woodasptim

woodasptim

I'm looking at them right now on that site for $259.97 :sad: