close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Model G 30 Failure

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by J 92 Brigadier, Jan 1, 2003.

1. J 92 Brigadier

J 92 Brigadier

I want to order a new G 30, but just learned today of a problem where my Brother in Law's brother had a reload blow up and the bottom of the gun including trigger was destroyed. The trigger cut the shooter's hand and the plastic frame was destroyed. It used to be his favorite gun, but he is now going to fix and sell it. By the way this is a retired Army Colonel with a lot of 1911 experience. It may be possible that he put double the powder in during reloading. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Shouldn't the gun be engineered to withstand with a normal safety factor? Would this have happened with a steel frame gun like a Kimber?

2. laynlow

laynlow

Glock manual page 15:

"THE USE OF RELOADED AMMUNITION WILL VOID THE GLOCK WARRENTY..."

;Q

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

A "Double Charge" certainly exceeds any built in safety factor of any pistol. You're talking about 820 foot pounds of energy in a used casing. And yes, it could even destroy a steel or alloy pistol as quick if not quicker than a polymer pistol. Had it been a steel frame, your friend might be picking steel out of his hand.

4. J 92 Brigadier

J 92 Brigadier

Laynlow says, "Glock manual page 15:

"THE USE OF RELOADED AMMUNITION WILL VOID THE GLOCK WARRENTY..."

Thanks for your reply, Laynlow. I have passed this along to the gun owner. Any additional responses are welcome.

5. J 92 Brigadier

J 92 Brigadier

Danny R says: "A "Double Charge" certainly exceeds any built in safety factor of any pistol. You're talking about 820 foot pounds of energy in a used casing. And yes, it could even destroy a steel or alloy pistol as quick if not quicker than a polymer pistol. Had it been a steel frame, your friend might be picking steel out of his hand."

Thanks DannyR, I appreciate your comments. The gun owner is now disassembling and weighing his reloads on hand to see whether he has any other possible double charges which would confirm this.

6. Puckster

Puckster

At least part of the reason for not shooting reloads in G30's (I don't know if this applies to other models.) is that the bottom rear part of the chamber, in a factory barrel, is not fully supported. It leaves open the possibility of a case rupture at that point if there is anything wrong with the ammo. The resulting case rupture would be down and into the mag well. I don't know all the details, but that could be what happened. Some after market barrels, e.g. KKM Precision, fully support that area and allow for use of reloads. Having said all that, it sounds like it was an ammo problem, not a gun problem. (Someone please correct me if I have it wrong.)

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Although some aftermarket barrels offer slightly more support, there are no fully supported barrels for Glocks. Sigs do not have fully supported barrels. HK's do not have fully suppoted barrels. Walthers do not have fully supported barrels. Etc.. To use one would require you to feed the cartridges single shot, by hand. Some aftermarket barrels are designed for 19th century lead bullets, making them slightly safer to use with lead bullets. Some aftermarket barrels have tighter "match" chambers, which can be fussy about reloads. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, only the single shot Thompson Contender (and clones)has a fully supported barrel.