close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Model 20

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tombstone, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Tombstone

Tombstone

I need some help. Have a Glock 20 10mm that has recently had 3 failures to fire. The primer has a mark in the center from the firing pin but not the familiar mark of a Glock. That image is very faint. Could it be a weak firing pin spring or trigger spring or what? This Glock is 13 years old that I purchased used about 2 years ago and has worked beautifully except this incident last week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jumper

Jumper

If you were using reloaded ammunition inspect the FTF rounds for high primers. Do this by laying a straight edge (calipers work nice) across the cartridge head and see if it tips at all on the primer. If it does the primer is too high and that was likely your problem. The primer should be recessed .001 ~.003."

If the cartridges look OK, detail strip your slide and inspect the striker channel for brass shavings, powder residue or anything of the sort. It should be clean and dry.

I had some FTF's with my III Gen G20 and the primers were the culprit. If you can't get the necessary replies to your question in this forum, post your question over in "The Ten Ring."

Good Luck

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

These types of things are usually ammo problems, but with the minimal cost/ease of changing out a (Recommended that if you change out one of these parts you change out the other.) striker spring & recoil spring, I say why not?

You know you won’t be completely confident if you don’t…….

4. Tombstone

Tombstone

Thanks for the info gentleman. In fact, this was new factory ammo. My concern was that two other glocks I own, a G32 and a G19, both leave a heavy imprint of that distinctive mark on the primer that only glocks make. I appreciate the info and believe I will change out all the springs and give it another try before I use it for concealed carry anymore.

5. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

The pistol's geriatric, for Pete's sake! What are the chances that anybody ever cleaned out the striker channel?? Get some brake cleaner or alcohol and thoroughly clean out the striker channel and leave it clean and dry. You'll probably find that a new striker/spring magically appear!

6. Tombstone

Tombstone

WalterGA,

You were 100% correct. I took the slide apart - looked like syrup in the striker channel. Cleaned it out and everything works great now. Thank you much.

Tombstone

7. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Glad it turned out to be the simplest and least expensive fix!