Glock mentioned on The First 48

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by u4ea, Feb 12, 2010.

1. u4ea

u4ea

I've been a big fan of the show The First 48 on A&E now for about 4 years. When they are at the crime scene, they routinely show what caliber casings were found at the scene, but almost never mention the gun used. Last night they identified the murder weapon as a "Glock in .40 caliber" but didn't say if it was a 22/23 etc. What do you guys think about that? I've never heard them mention the brand of gun used in 50+ episodes. Do you think the saying "any publicity is good publicity" applies here, or is this a bad thing for Glock?

2. Stuntman_Mike

Stuntman_Mike /̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

There have been way over 50 episodes. I recorded last night's, haven't watched it yet.

Glocks have been mentioned a lot before, along with sigs, etc. I remember them recovering a Sig SP2340 from the desert and test firing it.

Most of the time, it's a Saturday night special, so I don't pay much attention.

3. Paul_J

Paul_J

My son walked in my room last night to tell me that they said "Glock in .40 caliber." I don't know what to think of the "publicity" though.

4. Figurelli

Figurelli

I'd have to say any publicity is good publicity, even in this case. Even if it's a murder weapon. It's like saying someone was suffocated with a Zip-Lock bag (brand name). Anything can be used for no good, I don't see how this would be bad for Glock.

Side note - Awesome avatar haha.

5. unit1069

unit1069

I watched the episode but don't recall how the police knew the recovered casings were from a Glock.

I've always like the show too. I would like to see some episodes where the detectives investigate law abiding citizens stopping criminals as well as the routine perp-murders-someone segments. I suppose the Obama Administration would sic the Justice Department on A&E if that ever happened. Can't have the masses understand how the Second Amendment works to the advantage of civilized society.

What I'm Talking About

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  6. zenbubu

zenbubu

Maybe they figured it was a Glock because the primer had that rectangular firing pin imprint...if they even bothered to check

7. OI812

OI812

Glocks leave a very distinctive imprint on the primer. No other pistol leaves such an imprint as far as I know. It looks like a rectangle with a downward drag mark. FYI, the Glock, as with all other pistols, leave marks on the casing from the extractor and the ejector and these marks are brand specific. Just a little something I learned when I was working plain clothes.

8. zenbubu

zenbubu

OI812 (Love the VH reference :) )

I always noticed the firing imprints being different but never even thought about the extractor marks. Thanks for the info

9. katherder

katherder

They mentioned in the show that they had recovered a "Glock .40cal" from the apartment. Then they test fired it to compare casings from the crime scene, which matched.

10. commando57

commando57

There would be a giant bulge on the case from the unsupported chamber.

11. unit1069

unit1069

I recall that the detective said "Glock" before any firearm had been recovered. Once recovered everything matched.

12. unit1069

unit1069

I remember an episode where someone was killed with a .50 caliber. The detectives visited area gun shops to find out what handgun could shoot that caliber and then began narrowing their search.

It turned out that the murderer had borrowed a Desert Eagle from a local drug dealer. The gun was traced to the dealer and he then gave up the name of the guy he loaned it to. At least that's the way I remember the episode.

13. Zeroskillet

Zeroskillet MIA 305

They've mentioned quite a few guns brands before and mention Glock often.

My gf's uncle is a Homicide Dt. that appears on the show....
    His Department all have Glock 22's

14. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Umm, I've never had a giant bulge on any of my cases from my G23.

15. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

You can still tell by looking at the fired casings..

16. SagKC

SagKC

+1 :upeyes:.

17. blinddog

blinddog Guest

Libs and anti gunnuts love to deamonize particular types of firearms, I am sure we will begin to see a lot5 of negative mention of Glock 40's, in the near future. Things like pictures of Glock pistols during news stories of shooting or other gun violece ect. Just like the pictures of AR's and AK's during any mention of gang related shootings a few years back, thus deamonizeing those evil assault rifles. That turnip is about picked clean so it is about time they find something else, like the 50 cal, or Glocks, or Sarah Brady and her "sniper 30-30 rifle, that has NO USE IN HUNTING!"" it is just another theme in a tirede campahgn

18. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Off topic but I find it interesting how this thread brought out a couple brand new posters.

Welcome BTW. :)

19. u4ea

u4ea

I know that, but I personally have only seen around 50 episodes.

20. Zeroskillet

Zeroskillet MIA 305