close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Match--How much inspection?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DeltaWhiskey, May 19, 2003.

1. DeltaWhiskey

DeltaWhiskey

I'm considering entering the Glock match in Atlanta in September. I'm not a GSSF member yet, so I don't know all of the rules yet, but I did see where entrants pistols may be inspected for compliance. I'm using the Scherer 3.5 connector in my G19, do i need to buy the Glock unit, or would I be okay the way it is? If I have the Scherer unit and my pistol is inspected, could I be disqualified? What are the chances of any given pistol in the field being stripped down far enough to discover what kind of connector is in it. I'm not trying to cheat, I just don't want to drive three hours to Atlanta and then not be able to compete.

2. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Using non factory parts like a scherer connector is specifically against the rules.

3. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I've shot two GSSF matches so far, and my gun has yet to be inspected. Of course my scores wouldn't make anyone think I was cheating either. ;f

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Simple solution: install a polished factory 3.5# connector.

5. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

As stated, it is against the rules. Use it, and you are cheating regardless if you get caught or not.

I've had my stock pistol checked numerous times at a number of different GSSF matches.

ALWAYS STOCK! ;f

6. mike from philly

mike from philly

Its very unlikely you'd get caught ... but why do it. When you get to the match, take your pistol to the armorer and have him replace the trigger bar to stock. They'll do it for free and clean your gun at the same time.

I think you can use the Schrer in open class.

7. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

....If you do obtain a Glock 3.5# Connector, and you do not intend to install it in one of the Longslides (17L, 24, 34, or 35) find someone to install it BEFORE you get to the GSSF match if you do not know how to intall it yourself. Glock Armorer personnel cannot install a 3.5# in any Glock firearm that Glock, USA, does not install them in. That includes every model EXCEPT the longslides. There is no technical reason for this. It is strictly a legal liability problem. Evidently, Glock once got burned in a "hair trigger" lawsuit and since then only installs them in guns that are intended for target shooting -- the longslides -- and will not install them in guns intended for personal protection or LE duty use.

8. Carlitos

Carlitos

They will notice. I was called on every stage at the two GSSF matches I shot on the fiberoptic front I use in Am Civ; it is fully and totally blacked out in accordance w/ the rules (its in the book) and I had match officials check it 1st before the match for its compliance (ruled OK) but each stage RO still verified that the sights were indeed blacked out per the rules. The GSSF ROs are great and they on top of things; they do notice any readily apparent non-allowed change from factory stock configuration. Just follow the rules.

9. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

The rules are there to keep the "equipment" playing field level amongst the competitors. You can use it as long as you use it in the right "class or category". The GSSF matches are inexpensive and primarily designed for fun shooting amongst good people. Most of the expense is money spent on fuel, hotels, and food. Start cheating and the fun disappears. I know I wouldn't want to shoot with people I know are cheaters. I know I'd be ticked if I found someone cheating at an event designed for responsible, law-abiding, upstanding people. Go to www.gssfonline.com for all the info you need on this. You'll get a magazine with all the important info in it once you join GSSF.

Don't take these comments personally. Follow the rules and you'll be alright. They are addressed, in general, to any cheaters out there. :cool:

BTW, one of the best benefits of the matches is taking your gun to the armorer and getting it checked out and parts updated for free!

10. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

The RO's were not on top of things at the GSSF matches I have attended in the Northwest. I saw one shooter with a weighted plug in the backstrap of his Glock and it was brass colored and sticking out the bottom. It was easy to see from a distance and he was shooting Am. Civ. I have yet to see any guns inspected for even exterior mods like weighted plugs or weighted guide rods. Most of the RO's I have dealt with don't even know the rules or procedures for the major sub catagory. I have to explain it to them before I shoot. There have been times I could have loaded up 11 rounds in my G30 and shot the steel plates in the major sub catagory. After shooting with only 7 rounds I wish I had those extra 4 rounds. I have also seen the RO's not give people re shoots after a Glock jammed using factory ammo because they didn't know the rules and the shooter was a newbie and didn't know he could re shoot.
    The RO's need to actually open a Glock Report and read the rules they are supposed to enforce and then stick to them to make "the playing field equal".

11. DeltaWhiskey

DeltaWhiskey

I want to thank all of you for the time and effort put into answering my question. I'll be sure to have a Glock 3.5 connector by then.

12. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

It's unfortunate you've run into this. The officials need to step up to the plate and take care of these types of things, esp. the blatant violations. It is their responsibility to ensure a fair event is run. If they don't animosity begins to build between competitors and that will begin to decay the sport. Any "officials" out there that may know how to subtly get this issue addressed? If allowed to advance it will eat away at the GSSF "experience" until participation drops off due to ill will, etc. Look at portions of our society to see what happens when rot goes unchecked.

So far I've only had knowledgeable, fully capable officials to deal with. All fair-minded and true to the GSSF "spirit" of the rules.

It's what keeps me coming back. ;p

13. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

I'm not bitter about these blatant violations. Most of these cheaters I can beat anyway. But there does need to be some uniformity and the RO's need to be clued in. Maybe they should make them take a test over knowledge of the Glock Report before they RO so at least they have a clue on the rules. That right there, knowing the rules while on the range, would stop a lot of the cheating or ignorance by competitors. There aren't enough GSSF officials at the match to hold every RO's hand and make sure the shooters are doing it right. Lets get the RO's educated. Bruce

14. 40blaster

40blaster

You should try to get twenty-five or thirty people to show up before day-light Saturday and Sunday morning and work all day for almost nothing. All of these people VOLUNTEER their time so GSSFers can come out and have fun on match weekend. Usually there are six or twelve certified RO's and of them usually there are only three or four that are interested in GSSF. They only show up because they love the sport of pistol shooting hope they can make it fun for you. Sign up, IPSC offers RO courses for fifty bucks at most major clubs. Instead of taking cheap shots, get involved and make it better.

15. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

In the line of this thread I would like some info. I recently went to my local gun shop and requested a 3.5 connector installed and polished in my G26 that I have been using as my "GSSF all in one gun".

Since I read this thread I wonder how to tell if I received a "GLOCK" connector or some other aftermarket brand? I will ask him personally as well when he opens tomorrow. I do not want to take it to a match either if it is a non authorized part. I will need to get a factory part instead.

16. 40blaster

40blaster

I think the Glock part is actually better than the after market parts because it has the two part coating that allows the trigger part to slide on it with less resistance.

17. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

It my experience the factory work works better anyway so even if aftermarket was allowed I would use the factory connectors. BTW all of our connectors are currently on sale.

18. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I understand that is better but how do you tell the "factory" from the "aftermarket"?

19. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

The factory unit will have a - sign on it. Check here and it shows the three factory models.

http://glockmeister.com/images/connect.jpg

20. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Thanks Fireglock, that link was perfect. I can go home tomorrow and pull the connector. If the angle is correct and no "-" sign I can be assured of an aftermarket connector.

:)