close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock maintenance

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cutinsky, Oct 11, 2004.

1. cutinsky

cutinsky

I am considering sending in my Glock 36 for a "routine overhaul". Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with firms that provide that sort of service ?

Charles

2. Leigh

Leigh

No flames, but get a factory manual and care for it just like ANY OTHER FIREARM...if nothing is worn/broken why would you send it to anyone for anything including "routine overhaul?" ANY quality firearm, given routine care & cleaning, should outlast its ownwer by at least 100+ years. Period.

3. elpistolero

elpistolero

It's definitely not worth the cash. I just disessembled a Glock for the first time and I couldn't believe how easy it was. If you really want to get in there and check for aging parts/springs and clean, do it yourself.

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

My shop and others offer it but its really nothing you cant do yourself.

5. njl

njl

For the cost of 1-way shipping to Smyrna, Glock will do it for you.

6. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Or you can visit the next GSSF match if there's one near you, where you can walk up to the Armorer on duty and they'll square you away.
    :)

7. GeeMack

GeeMack

I broke a trigger return spring and took it to my local smithy to have fixed and a 'general tune up'. He charged $45 which I thought at the time was reasonable because the gun came back looking like a new one. I have since learned how easy it is to do this myself and have changed my mind. I now think I was over charged by about $40.

8. flatrock

flatrock

If you go to an auto repair place and have them look over your car to see if there are any problems creeping up on you, and they replace a $5 part do you think you'll get out of there for $5.

When you take a gun to a gunsmith you're mostly paying for their time and expertise, as well as any overhead they might have in paying for their storefront and tools.

9. GeeMack

GeeMack

My intent was not to disparage the gunsmith. The point was that if I had taken the time to learn a little bit more about my weapon, I could have saved $40. Glocks are unexpectedly simple machines. Most anyone can easily understand them if they take the time to learn just a little bit.

You are right though. He probably spent most of an hour cleaning and checking. $40/hour is reasonable for a good gunsmith.

10. cutinsky

cutinsky

I appreciate everyones responses.
    Unfortunaely I am mechanically challenged. My most useful tool is a mallett. The good new however is that I like and enjoy working with guns and would like to be able to overhaul my Glocks myself.

With that in mind, any suggestions as to a reference source. I know there are CD's availible with instruction as well as manuals. Any opinions as to which is "best", easiest to understand and with most useful illustrations etc.

Charles

11. dport

dport

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is Matt's honesty often at his own expense.

12. dport

dport

I'm not mechanically inclined myself. But the Glock is just soo easy to strip it isn't funny.

I'd go to Glockmeister.com and look at their info section first.

13. Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk

Charles,

Overhaul!!!! How many rounds you shoot through your 36? The Glocks don't require allot of maintanence. Since the model 36's are fairly new pistols your barrel might be only a 1/4 through it's life at best!

I wouldn't worry about any type of overhaul. If you do shoot or have shot close to about 50,000 rounds through your pistol then perhaps you should send yours in to Glock themselves and let them do the job for you. No need to reply.

Later,

mail clerk