close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Maintainence

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WorksForMe, Jul 1, 2003.

1. WorksForMe

WorksForMe

At the range last weekend my model 27 had 2 failure to fires and 1 failure to feed. The no fires were with reloaded ammo, reloaded by a friend with good powder, properly sized brass and federal primers. The jam was on the feed ramp and was with white box winchester FMJ's. I had the weapon looked at and was told I had a "tight extractor." I had the extractor replaced and the firing pin channel cleaned.
    Is it a good idea to install a stronger striker spring? It just makes me a little nervous that I had a couple of different problems on the same day with different kinds of ammo. The gun is about one year old.

Any advice from you expert Glockers would be appreciated.

2. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I shoot tens of thousands of reloads...but I'd never shoot anybody else's reloads. Your problem is most likely bad ammo. The "too tight extractor" is probably b.s. If you had a 1911, you might have a too tight extractor. The only problem you're going to have with a Glock extractor is if it gets chipped or has gunk under it. I'd suggest that you go to glockmeister.com, under "free services" and learn just how simple it is to detail strip the slide. If you're just a smidgen above retarded, it's a four-or-five minute job. Do keep the striker channel clean and dry.

Do use full-power ammo. Do shoot with your wrists and elbows locked.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I agree with Sir Walter of GA.

4. Garfield_1969

Garfield_1969

I agree with the advice above as well.
    My Glock (17) eats anything I feed it, no exceptions, no failures.

5. WorksForMe

WorksForMe

I have learned to detail strip the slide. When I first purchased the gun I didn't realize that one needed to do such a detailed disassembly. Now that I do know, I like it as it's much easier to keep things clean if you clean the parts when they aren't in the slide.

6. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Regarding the failures to fire- was the firing pin indentation off-center?

7. WorksForMe

WorksForMe

8. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

I agree with WalterGA. Too tight extractor IS BS.

Your pals reloads may not have had the primer seated properly, if it just went click. Did you try to 2nd strike the round.

The FTF, was it hand cycled or during firing? If hand cycled, you didn't cycle fast enough. Never had a problem with my 27.

As for detail striping the slide. If you start out clean, you shouldn't have to do that for thousands of rounds.

9. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

If the firing pin strike was off-center the gun was not completely in battery. I've seen this before with G27's.

I too suspect the ammo to be the main cause. Try some more factory ammo and see if you can duplicate the problem. If it doesn't resurface you've found the culprit. If you continue to experience the off center firing pin hits with good quality ammo change the recoil spring assembly.

10. WorksForMe

WorksForMe

CCV, I think you are correct. I took it to the range over the weekend. It functioned perfectly. I probably got so careless that I didn't let the slide snap shut on its own.
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate the help.