close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock mags not designed to drop?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cassandra, May 28, 2007.

1. cassandra

cassandra

I've been practicing quick mag changes for USPSA, and still have trouble hitting the release fully enough to drop the mag. Yesterday a guy shooting the .40 compact Glock said in passing that they weren't designed to drop. There does seem to be more friction between the polymer mag and the grip, unlike the steel mags on a 1911 or XD which fall right out.

Was he right?

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Not unless your magazines are really, really old. Glock mags from all but the old first generation should fall free as easy as any other gun - I have about 20 magazines, 10 round and normal, that my wife and I use in matches and they all drop free easily. More likely, you are having trouble pressing the mag release button - I've seen that numerous times in matches and classes. Try an extended magazine release.

3. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Maybe clean the magazines and mag well and spray a little dry film lube on the sides of the magazine and the mag well.

4. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

I was practicing just last night with my triple checked empty 2nd Gen G32 and mags. The mags dropped free with no problems at all. Just gotta make sure you fully depress the mag release.

5. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

Ensure the pistol stays straight until the mag falls. Many turn the pistol sideways and mags (any mag) needs a clear path out.

As stated clean mag well and mags. I never needed help from sprays or what not but know folks who use them.

sb

6. shootingbuff

If your hand is small as Bren stated try an extended mag release or at least check to see if you are depressing the button fully - while holding the pistol straight.

What I did before drop free mags was do what I call the Glock shake. Depress the mag then give a quick short sharp shake to assist the mag falling.

sb

7. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

My very first trip to a range, I easily dropped at least 5 mags... all the way to the floor! :supergrin:

I had to start paying attention to what the hell I was doing. It was embarrassing.

8. cassandra

cassandra

I thought we were supposed to drop them on the ground? That's what most people were doing if not everyone. They do get dirty and I had to keep rubbing them down with a rag.

I'm not sure what kind of spray to use on the mags. Are you supposed to clean them with solvent like you do with the slide and barrel? Should I lube them a little? or oil them?

To shoot production I don't think I can use extensions.

9. shootingbuff

Just wipe your mags off now and then. Most I ever use is a damp cloth. AFA sprays what ever makes plastic slick - if you have to go there.

sb

10. bruce282

bruce282

I use silicon on the inside and outside of my Glock mags, and inside the grip. I have a silicon rag I got a long time ago and keep it in a bag in my range bag. If a magazine gets dirty (or before a big match) I take them apart and wipe them down. After the spray dries things are very slippery.

Bruce

11. cassandra

cassandra

12. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

Not really. Bren was way more right than the guy telling you "they weren't designed to drop".

If your hand isn't big enough to reach the mag release, do what Bren suggested and get an extended release. It should be legal. (I'm not up on USPSA rules)

If not, then try hitting the mag release with your support hand thunb as you go for your reload. I know many guys shooting expert and master in IDPA that do this.

YTou can also help your mags by waxing them, or using silicone as mentioned above. Just don't leave alot of residue on them....it'll make you hands slick too if you do. :whistling:

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yep, drop empty mags to the ground every time. Catching magazines builds bad and dangerous habits, if you carry the gun for self defense.

As for cleaning, I have been using the same Glock mags for a few years, in dirt, mud, rain and snow, at least one match a month and all I do is throw them back in the bag - all are still 100% reliable.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I believe the extended magazine release is legal for any IDPA, GSSF or USPSA division, since it is available as an option on any Glock from the factory.

15. hankfan79

hankfan79

For giggles...When Glock first was designed the mags WERE NOT designed to drop free. The Austrian military trains to retain magazines.

On another note, I notice some posts about cleaning mags. I have never...NEVER had to clean a mag. I have been shooting IDPA for years and have dropped mine to the ground thousands of times. The only time I wiped off a mag was when I stepped on it during a stage and it landed in some good ol Georgia Mud.

Now that I said that, I am going to have a mag failure. I just know it.

:tongueout:

16. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

That's why I never admitted to doing the same thing.

Oh crap......:freak:

:supergrin: