glock magazine shoe removal--need a suggestion or two

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mikemayberry, May 26, 2007.

1. mikemayberry

mikemayberry

I am trying to remove the shoe so I can change to add a Pearce extender and not having much luck yet in getting the original to release. This is my first time and I suspect there is some little trick to this to make it easier without breaking something.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike

2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Using a Glock take down tool,(or a straight punch) just insert it into the hole about a 1/4". Keep you left thumb on the bottom of the mag plate, now just slide the bottom of the mag off, using the punch as a mini pry bar.

It is much easier to do it than tell someone how to do it. The mag will not be damaged in any way.

:thumbsup:

3. mikemayberry

mikemayberry

I have been doing as you suggested but it seems to be hung up and not sliding. Thought maybe there was another trick of some sort.

4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Try a little more leverage. The main resistance is from the 2 "teeth" on the sides of the mag. Once you get the base plate past those, just keep your thumb on the plate, to keep the spring from flying across the room.

:supergrin:

5. scott.poole

scott.poole

The last time I took my mags apart, I used a pair of step-over pliars (they are Vise-grips that look like pincers) to compress the middle of the magazine tube right at the floor-plate. This disengaged the tabs that hold the floor on so that that it will slide right off.

6. GooberPP

GooberPP

The punch through the hole trick has to lift the spring base high enough for you to compress the sides of the magazine bottom enough to release the tabs that lock into slots in the base. If you look at the edge of the base plate from the top of the magazine, you can see the tabs. Once the spring base is high enough, it's easily done with finger pressure and then the magazine base will slide off easily.

7. cybertek

cybertek

8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) The above post contains dated information for Glock's old style magazines.

Here's what I do: (And it has, yet, to fail!) Take a machinist's punch, found at any Ace Hardware store, that's only slightly smaller in diameter than the floor plate hole, itself, and use it to push up on the nipple that holds the magazine insert (part #32a) and the floor plate (part #32) together.

Continue to hold the nipple out of the hole. While holding the magazine in your left-hand, point the front of the magazine toward your right hand. (You are right handed, yes?) Now press a wide side of the magazine immediately above the floor plate against the edge of a table. Press in hard and, use short fast forward jerks on the punch's shaft. (Pull toward the right!)

The floor plate may not let go on the first two or three tugs; but, if you press in hard enough and continue to strongly jerk on the shaft, that plate will come off; and the inside of your magazine walls will not get scared up in the process, either.

Remember, the first time is always the most difficult; after that, it's easy.

When you've got the floor plate off, take a look at the mating edge of the magazine body; you'll see small raised pimples on each side wall. These pimples are the reason, ‘Why’ you need to apply lateral pressure to the magazine’s lower side walls in order to make the floor plate release. ;)

9. mikemayberry

mikemayberry

You guys are great to zoom me in to the process. Still trying but now know I am on the right track.

Thanks again.

M

10. scott.poole

scott.poole

It was late last night when I originally replied, and I forgot to mention that even using the step-over pliars, you have to insert a small screwdriver or punch into the hole in the floorplate of the magazine to move the plate on the bottom of the spring up inside the magazine body. Once it's an inch or so up and out of the way (with the screwdriver or punch still inserted into the magazine), then use the pliars to compress the mag body to dis-engage the tabs.

11. Torontogunguy

Torontogunguy

Got the baseplate of my G30 off just fine with thanks for the assist! Installed the Pierce PG-30 grip extension. Now the magazine will not go in far enough to lock in place. It is out by at least a half inch. So much for my Pierce grip extensions. I also have one for my G26... won't bother even trying that one.

Did Glock change their magazines? Pierce doesn't mention old/new on their website at all that I can see.

Oh well. What the heck do I expect for ten bucks?

Jeez. Screwfed again.

12. redgum

redgum

GooberPP:thumbsup:
    Dead right, push that plate all the way, as far as you can, even upside the spring as you can retrieve it once you get the base off. Its that plate that prevents you squashing the sides slightly to disengage the little lugs and enabling the base to slide.

13. Torontogunguy

Torontogunguy

Thank you all very much... I too was having a heck of a time getting the base of my new G26 and G30 magazines; with the advice of using a punch to push in the button on the bottom all the way and then pry off the base... it worked great. The punch should be tapered if possible, I found, so that it fits in the hole, pushes the button all the way in, and is a tight fit to slide the base off. Works like a charm!

Now my only problem is figuring out why my Pearce +0 extensions don't work. The fit on the magazine just fine but the magazine then doesn't go all the way into the magazine receptacle and click into place. Models of Pearce grips are GP26 and GP30. Suggestions?