Glock Magazine Release Catch Installation

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ledavatar, Sep 19, 2007.

1. ledavatar

ledavatar

I couldn't find anything on how to remove the magazine catch. It seems like a bar spring is keeping it in place at an angle. I tried picking the spring out, but it's difficult. And I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I think the mag release became "mushier" and doesn't break from the magazine as cleanly as before. Can anyone point me to a DIY source?

2. dglockster

dglockster

On page 85 of Patooma's The Complete Glock Reference Guide, the recommendation is that the mag catch spring not be removed unless it needs replacing.

However, it goes on to give the following directions to remove the mag catch itself:
    If you are only replacing the mag catch, leave the spring in place.

BTW, you can buy the Patooma The Complete Glock Reference Guide at http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=148260.

3. ledavatar

ledavatar

how do I take the mag catch out?

4. DCJS Instructor

DCJS Instructor

5. urbancamo

urbancamo

Does anyone know if there is a steel insert molded into the frontstrap that holds the stationary end of the mag catch spring? I would think there would need to be, otherwise it would wiggle itself loose in just a polymer hole over time.

Also, does the concern over not removing the spring unless absolutely necessary stem from not wanting the hole in the receiver to become enlarged and thus become loose sooner, or is it just considered unnecessary since the spring should last a long time?

6. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

One of these will help; but, you don't really need it -

(Some people can do it with just the armorer's tool!) :shocked:

[​IMG]

Here ya go -

Glockmeister Shows You How

What would you do without me? I should charge for this! :supergrin:

By the way, the manual is correct: The spring shouldn't be removed unless it (or the catch) needs replacing; and, neither is very likely. ;)

7. urbancamo

urbancamo

Some may have better luck with fine needle-nosed pliers, but I've found that there's really not all that much clearance for the tip of the pliers in that Y-shaped channel for the spring, in order to get the end of the spring out of the notch in the release. Even with really fine pliers and a large-frame Glock it's difficult. That, and it's much easier to gouge the inside of the channel (and also the edge of it if you slip) as seen in their photo:

[​IMG]

The flat-bladed screwdriver can do the same thing if you're not careful.

I've tried both the pliers and screwdriver method and don't care for them. My G21 even bears the scars from it. ;) Yes, it doesn't affect how it works any and it's in a hidden spot, but I'd prefer not to leave tool marks on my guns if I can help it.

The method I like to use is to hold the outside of the catch in on the right side of the receiver with my left thumb, and hold a small punch or the armorer's tool against the spring inside the magwell with my fingers. You can then pop the end of the spring out of the notch with a fingernail on your right hand, or just flick it out with a small flat-bladed screwdriver if you've got chubby hands.

Not so much as a scratch doing it that way on my G19 and G20. :thumbsup:

So, to my other question... Does anyone know if there's a steel insert in the frontstrap to hold the spring, or is it just seated in a polymer hole?

This is out of my own curiosity, since there's probably more steel molded into Glock frames than one might think. I was noticing some metal peeking out on the inside of the rear tang of my G21 that's visible with the trigger assembly removed. You can see it in the cutaway picture here:

[​IMG]

Looks to be the same hunk of metal that includes the rear frame rails.

It would be really interesting to see an X-ray of a stripped Glock frame. :)

Edit:
    Google image search is your friend. This is along the lines of what I was looking for, although the detail isn't as good as I would have liked. Looks to be a G26 based on the ammo in the magazine. I guess the spring just sits in a hole in the polymer (no insert) from the picture:

[​IMG]

8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) I've had the magazine catch springs out of both my pistols. The reason? Don't know! Just wanted to pass the armorer's course exam, I guess. I used a small thin screwdriver blade - got it at Radio Shack. Not a mark, not a scratch on the frame; but I did notice that the act of removal does seem to place undue stress on the spring, itself.

If you haven't got the right tool or are a little clumsy, well, you'll probably end up by scratching the frame, too. All good reasons to leave the spring alone unless, for some reason, you need to replace the magazine catch.

When I bought my first Glock I, also, purchased American Gunsmithing Institute's, 'Glock Maintenance' video. You know the one featuring Robert Dunlap, the world famous Glock armorer! Bob uses a pair of needle nosed pliers in order to remove this spring during his video. Listen, if Robert Dunlap uses a pair of pliers for this task, then, it's got to be the right way to take the magazine release out of the frame. (Trust me! Bob would know.)

Everything Bob does in that video is, 'state-of-the-art' Glock maintenance. As a matter of fact it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Bob were to, someday, become the new manager of Glock's repair department at the factory in Smyrna!

:thumbsup:

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:shocked: Double Tap! (Good for post count) :supergrin:

10. urbancamo

urbancamo

You've had the spring itself out too, or just the catch?

Lenny McGill uses the pliers too, and I did "listen" as he removed it... Judging by the audible click it didn't sound very kind to either the frame or the spring. ;)

If you can do it with a screwdriver or pliers with no problems, more power to ya'... I'll stick to what works for me, though. :)

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) Spring AND catch. (Once the spring is removed, the catch will simply fall out of the frame.)

Pliers are, probably, the wrong tool; but, people in a hurry like to use them. I've done a lot of gunsmithing and clock repair work; so, for me, it's no big deal.

Whatever works for ya, brother! :thumbsup:

12. urbancamo

urbancamo

Wow, that's brave... Has the spring loosened up any in the hole it seats into in the frame, or caused any premature wear from doing that?

I'd say they're the only tool you can use to remove the spring from the frame since you've gotta pull straight up, no?

Ahah, that explains it then... You must have way better dexterity for minute tasks with the clock experience than most people! :)

13. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

No. Simply remove it by pushing the middle of the spring gently to the right until the top of the spring passes through the plainly visible release hole.

When you return the spring into its cutout, the bottom of the rod fits into a small invisible hole; and the rod, itself, presses against a slight humb on the right that provides the bend to the spring. Lightly push the rod to the right in order to slip it back through its release hole.

A small thin screwdriver is perfect for this job. The armorer's tool will work, too; but it's a little clumsy. If you use bent-nose pliers the way so many, 'pro armorers' do, then, you're going to have to be really careful not to scratch the frame.
    No. There is no straight pull up WHILE the spring is under tension - only right to left movement. You only lift up in order to remove the spring.

Like I mentioned, this whole process is, probably, hardest on the spring. I wouldn't remove my mag catch, again, unless I absolutely had to.
    Maybe I did, once; but I've got arthritis in my hands now. I think the most important thing you need is good eyesight and plenty of light! That spring will pop right out if you just push it right.

(That was an unintentional pun!) ;)

14. garmgarm

garmgarm Guest

I use a dental pick from a cheap set I found on E-bay for $5 or so. They work great for removing a Glock mag catch and a Kahr one as well since it has the exact same setup...

15. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) Since we're on the subject, I've also got 3 different kinds of these in my toolbox. Haven't used them, yet, for removing a magazine catch spring; but, I'd say it has to be a, 'piece of cake'

[​IMG]

16. urbancamo

urbancamo

Arc, I think you completely misunderstood what I was asking. I'm well aware of how the mag catch spring fits into the L-shaped cutout in the bottom of the mag catch, and how to remove and reinstall the mag catch. What I was asking, is once the mag catch is removed, have you ever actually removed the spring completely from the receiver, as many advise against? That would be a pull straight up if one were to attempt it.

17. urbancamo

urbancamo

Ahh yes... Hemostats. I've got a couple in my toolkit, as well.

18. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:shocked: Yup, I COMPLETELY misunderstood what you were asking! (Seem to be doing more and more of that lately.)

Now, what was the question again? Have I done what? :headscratch:

:supergrin: Yes, I have! Other than possible damage to the frame I haven't a clue why, 'they' recommend this spring should not be removed? When I did it, it didn't seem to be that big a deal.

It's much harder to remove the slide lock cause you've got to remember which way is the right way to put it back in; the channel liner, too; but the magazine catch spring? It's just a small steel rod that's identical at both ends.