close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Magazine Question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 3000fps, Jan 7, 2012.

1. 3000fps

3000fps

I just recently converted my Glock 23 over to 9mm with the LWD 40-9 conversion barrel.

I purchased 2 G19 magazines from a private seller, these are older magazines marked LE/GOVT only, 9.13.94

The springs in them aren't as strong as my newer .40 mags, and when the magazine is 1/2 loaded it rattles.

I was thinking about replacing the springs and followers of each mag.

Can I just buy a standard Glock spring set from say Glockmeister? Or do the older mags have different springs / followers?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

As far as I know, they will work just fine.

I had some G22 LE/GOVT mags and upgraded them with newer springs and followers ordered from Cheaper than dirt.

Work perfect.

3. 3000fps

3000fps

Thank you! Now all I have to do is removed that ugly wolf from the top of my barrel!! :rofl:

4. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

Oh man, how is that ugly LWD barrel working for you? :supergrin:

I bought one for my G22 (stock length .40 cal.) about 8 months ago and I couldn't shoot 3 rounds without getting a FTF.

5. Truckee

Truckee Aging Goat

Magazines rattle, it's the nature of that double-stack beast. A round or two in the middle of the magazine will loose contact with others and rattle. Shoot the magazines before deciding if any part needs replacement.

You will want to replace your ejector from the .40 to the 9mm. The .40 ejector may work but, it can be an issue. The .40 ejector can give FTF and FTE issues.

I've read on GT that extraction of a live 9mm round into the straight .40 ejector could strike the primer. Don't know if it's happened or simply speculation. However, as I've inspected the set-up of both, I can see plausibility in that theory.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

Mag springs/followers are cheap enough regardless. You didn't mention if the mags were new or not. If the top of the followers show some (any?) wear, why not go ahead with new Wolff or GLOCK factory springs & new GLOCK followers while giving the mags a full scrub & shine? It's cheap insurance.

7. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Replace the springs if you want, but if the followers aren't broken, there's no need to fix them.....it is possible to put the wrong one's in and then they will be 'broken'.

Chances are that they'll work just fine the way they are though. You don't plan to carry it as a 9mm....right?

8. silversport

silversport

I have a G23 with a Storm Lake .40/9mm conversion barrel and am using older 2 G19 magazines with the LE/Gov't markings (and one newer G19 mag)...no issues at all...over a year now...

Bill

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  9. user1

user1 Millennium Member

---------------------------------------------------

You have a Glock magazine with a type and date stamped in it.

Why not replace the springs and followers by ordering the proper parts from Glock?
    Or, send the mags to Glock and let them install the proper parts in the magazines for you...

BTW, changing out the extractor and any other 40>9 parts needed for feeding, firing, and ejection of a round is both inexpensive and wise.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  10. SCC

SCC Member Me

THATS IT !!! I WOULD NOT CARRY WITH IT .. :whistling:

11. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

If you look, real close, you'll see a part number on each magazine follower. (It's in that little indent for the slide stop.) You might want to make a mental note of which follower is which.

I don't own a Glock magazine with factory springs in it. All of my Glock magazines are equipped with +10% Wolff Gunsprings.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5