close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock magazine issue?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cbbully, Mar 15, 2012.

1. cbbully

cbbully

I took my New 26 gen 4 out to the range today along with 4 (10) round mags, 7 (15) round mags and 3 (33) round mags. I shot through all of the 10 and 15 rounders without a hitch. I was relieved everything wen't so smooth. I then popped in the first 33 rounder(all 33 rounders are new). Fired the first shot, the slide locks due to a failure to feed. I dropped the mag, cleared the round and set the round on the bench. I then re inserted the mag, took the first shot and the slide locked again. cleared and re inserted the mag. Every single round in the mag failed to feed. The last two 33 rounders fed flawlessly. I ended up shooting about 350 rounds through the 26 and besides the one 33 rounder everything was flawless. I set the faulty 33 rounder aside and fired it through my 19 later and it fed flawlessly. The 19 had close to 1,000 rounds through it. What can cause a magazine to fail so badly? assuming it is the magazine... The mag spring tension felt similar to the other 33's.

The 33's were purchased from midway and I'm returning the mag I had the issue's with tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. High Altitude

High Altitude

The problem most likely isn't the magazine.

If you put larger mags in the subcompact guns, some times you will get feed problems. What happens is that you put pressure on the bottom of the magazine with your pinky, which tilts the magazine and causes the problem.

Not all guns and all mags do this though. It is hit or miss.

3. 4-Fun

4-Fun

I've seen this as well--with G17 mags in the 26.

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Make sure to keep that magazine separated from the other 33-rounders. I'd test it one more time to be sure the problem wasn't part of your hand putting pressure on the magazine, that can change the feeding angle and cause failures to feed.

If you continue to have problems with that one and not the others, call Glock and talk to the Warranty Service Department. When I called them about a problem magazine, the tech said I must've gotten a bad spring. He offered to send me a new spring, or I could send the magazine in to them, they'd test it and fix anything that was wrong with it or replace it.

I personally opted for the new spring but it didn't fix it. Turns out that there was a manufacturing/design problem with .40 magazines made during that time, and there was excess plastic at the front of each feed lip that was slowing feeding. I shaved it away and the magazine worked fine from that point on. Glock wasn't aware of the problem at the time so they wouldn't have fixed it had I sent it in, and they probably wouldn't have shot enough rounds through it to experience the problem themselves.

I've never heard of that particular problem in a 9mm magazine though.

5. dpadams6

dpadams6

Many don't want to believe this. But this is a fact. We carry 31/33's at work and many times when we use the 31 mag in the 33, we have this same problem. So using the sub-compact or compact for carry with the larger Mag's as extra carry, is not a good idea IMHO.

6. cbbully

cbbully

I forgot to mention after the magazine failed to feed the 3rd or 4th time, I inspected it after it was empty and I noticed the black plastic was peeling (similar to how the skin of a potato would look as you peel it)near the top of the mag where the plastic meets up with the metal lining, along the side of the follower.

my way of holding could of been an issue, but the other 33's worked perfect and I used the other two 33's more then one time each. im thinking the specs are just a hair off on this one mag.