Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my Glock 23, the unit I was sold was actually slated for LE. Thanks to state law I can only have 10 round magazines, so the fun shop had to swap out the LE mags for 10 rounders. Now (according to fun shop owner) I was told, due to a magazine shortage, mine were labeled .357 rather than .40 but they were exactly the same and it wouldn't be an issue.

The range I frequent only allows 5 rounds loaded max. So for the past few months I used the above magazines, plus a few others (marked .40) without any problems. Fast forward a few months and I'm going shooting with a friend as a guest at his club. I find out now that the .357 mags are not the same as the .40's as I can only load 9 rounds.

Will this be a problem? What's my next move? Can I buy replacement springs and followers for a rebuild or do I contact the fun shop and raise hell? Thoughts?

TIA

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
When I purchased my Glock 23, the unit I was sold was actually slated for LE. Thanks to state law I can only have 10 round magazines, so the fun shop had to swap out the LE mags for 10 rounders. Now (according to fun shop owner) I was told, due to a magazine shortage, mine were labeled .357 rather than .40 but they were exactly the same and it wouldn't be an issue.

The range I frequent only allows 5 rounds loaded max. So for the past few months I used the above magazines, plus a few others (marked .40) without any problems. Fast forward a few months and I'm going shooting with a friend as a guest at his club. I find out now that the .357 mags are not the same as the .40's as I can only load 9 rounds.

Will this be a problem? What's my next move? Can I buy replacement springs and followers for a rebuild or do I contact the fun shop and raise hell? Thoughts?

TIA
Raise Hell

They are idiots!!!

·
20,441 Posts
Perhaps you need to eat Wheaties for breakfast and spinach with your supper. The 10th round can be difficult with new magazines, and the only difference between a G23 magazine and a G32 magazine is the follower.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Perhaps you need to eat Wheaties for breakfast and spinach with your supper. The 10th round can be difficult with new magazines, and the only difference between a G23 magazine and a G32 magazine is the follower.
and that little 357~40 stamp on the mags:whistling:

·
NRA Life Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's funny. :upeyes: I bent the tab in the mag loader trying to squeeze in the 10th round. Am I missing something? I have 4 other brand new .40 mags that I had no problem getting 10 rounds into.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Mags are labled for the round they are supposed to feed, useing the wrong mag can result in several problems chain fireing, FTF and FTE are the most common. If you got 40 cal mags they should be marked 40 NOT 357,9MM or .45, or anything else.trade the ones you have for 40 S&W mags or cram them down the A hole who sold them to you's throat. giving you somthing that is wrong borders on crimminal negligence, esspecially if the store owner knew it was wrong when he did it. Who is this guy? What store is he at so others can br told to avoid it and him.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mags are labled for the round they are supposed to feed, useing the wrong mag can result in several problems chain fireing, FTF and FTE are the most common. If you got 40 cal mags they should be marked 40 NOT 357,9MM or .45, or anything else.trade the ones you have for 40 S&W mags or cram them down the A hole who sold them to you's throat. giving you somthing that is wrong borders on crimminal negligence, esspecially if the store owner knew it was wrong when he did it. Who is this guy? What store is he at so others can br told to avoid it and him.
Calm down.

Talk less. Read more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 357 and 40 mag tubes are the same the only difference is the a slightly different follower that supports a bit more of the 40SW casing since the 357 is a neckdown cartrige. I have a Glock 22 .40sw and also have the 357sig extended barrel and I shot 357 out of my 40SW mags without any issues. I have a buddy that has the Glock 31 357and he has shot several hundred rounds of 357 sig ammo out of my 40sw mags I and shot his mags without issue! Sounds to me like your dealer pulled a fast one. LE guns are not suppost to go to Civilians since they come with extra mags and other goodies, but apparently the dealer took the easy way and sold you the pistol without getting at a much higher price that he paid and parted out the package. Buyer beware!!!!!

p.s. Sorry to hear that you are in a messed up state that doesnt allow proper weaponry.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Because the 357 Sig is a bottle necked round I believe the followers are a little taller. That would explain why I can sometimes get a sixteenth round of Sig into my .40 magazine. Feeding shouldn't be a big deal, but if you get hung up on details try and get the .40 mags. You can always order and change out the followers, but with out the mag disasembly tool you may go mad with the chore that awaits you. Have fun and don't get to wound up.:wavey:

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
"Difficult" is too mild a word.

I found a brand new used G-23 10-round magazine at a gun show for $10. (If it was ever used then I suspect only a few times at most.)

I had wanted a 10-round magazine for my G-32 so snapped it up and took it home. I thought I was never going to get the 10th round into it and nearly gave up. Once I accomplished the task I let it sit for a week before testing it out. Worked perfectly even though the bulge in the sides of the mag cause a very tight fit in the grip.

Every other time I've loaded it to the max it's been a real task, but every time I've shot the pistol with the G-23 magazine it's run flawlessly.

I've left it loaded for months then left it unloaded for months. I'm resigned to the idea that it will always be a b**ch to fully load but the great thing is I found a new 10-round magazine for a relative pittance and it works exactly as designed. I'm leaving the follower stock because of its perfect record, and in case I buy a G-23 barrel I'll then have a stock G-23 magazine to use.

This subject pops up every now and then. If my experience is any indication the .357sig and .40S&W magazines are completely interchangeable as is.

·
NRA Life Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a follow up. I called Glock directly, and was instructed to write down/explain the problem I was having and send it with the magazines to them. Today two brand new G23 mags arrived.

Two thumbs up for Glock customer service.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Florist
20,776 Posts
Much ado about nothing. Lesson learned: when there's a question about Glocks, go directly to the source. DannyR or Glock Inc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts