close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock M- 20 vs. M-29 at the range..

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Brian Dover, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

Took out a new batch of 10mm reloads to the range yesterday. Thought I'd see how the recoil was in my newly-acquired model 29, compared to my model 20.

At least with those 180 grain fmj's, the little 29 was actually easier to get back on target. (Ran some of the same drills with both guns using the PACT timer, so it wasn't just my imagination.) Guess the dual-recoil spring setup in the 29 helps with 'kick' more than I would have imagined.

Even after 25+ years of sending lead downrange in fair quantities, I still learn something new at the range often as not.

2. Mik

Mik Millennium Member

i have had the same feeling too. the G29 seems to be easier to control in recoil and the recoil feels less than my G20s.

3. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever 10mm Pusher

You're right, it's a slide mass issue. The G29's slide is substantially lighter and thus cycles more quickly, which in turn leads to less *perceived recoil*. The slides movement simply has less time to enact its forces against your hand.

4. phill.451

phill.451 Night Audit

What about the sound level? Is the 29 much louder than the 20? I know with hearing protection it won't matter much, but is it a big enough difference to turn some heads?

5. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

I can tell you, without hearing protection, the G29 is MUCH louder than pistols with longer barrels. I started a thread a while back about relative sound levels of the 10mm compared to other setups and calibers. You might be able to search it. Anyways, my longslide G20L isn't loud at ALL but that G29 is a smack to the eardrum! Barrel length has a lot to do with it in my experience.

6. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

Nick's likely right, but unless my brain is somehow disengaged, I don't get near a firing line without hearing protection. (After accidentally doing that more times than I'd care to admit.)

7. phill.451

phill.451 Night Audit

I can count on one hand how many times I have fired anything without hearing protection. It is just something I won't do ever again. So, a 29 is considerably louder than a 20, and a 20 is considerably louder than any longer barrel. Good to know. Thanks to the OP, I had been wondering about the recoil and sound difference between the 20 and 29. I am a 10mm NUT! and have been mulling over which glock to get in 10mm first. :banana: