close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Lubrication

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by docb91b, May 14, 2007.

1. docb91b

docb91b

I got a couple of questions about my new Glock 21. According to the manual, it says to leave in the copper colored grease for long-term protection. However, it seems that I am getting a build-up of carbon, etc.. along the slide rail groove. Should I remove this grease or not? Also, I was taught in the army that CLP was good enough for cleaning the whole weapon (even as barrel solvent) and lubrication. Should I stick with CLP?

2. tech-guru

tech-guru

I would clean with CLP without worrying about the copper lube, whatever comes off in the process is o.k. Typically, after cleaning with a brush and CLP (or solvent, if need be) a few times the lube is all gone and that's just fine. I don't think they mean not to clean the carbon off in order to keep the copper lube.

I use CLP almost exclusively for cleaning and lube. I clean and lube my guns after every session, regardless of the number of rounds discharged, and hardly ever have use for the bore cleaners I have. In short, if CLP (I use Breakfree CLP) is adequate for cleaning, no need to use anything else, IMHO.

3. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto

Yeah CLP will work to clean the gun, but I like to use a simple solvent for CLEANING and an oil (or CLP) for lubrication. CLP tends to make you work just a bit harder when cleaning off tough carbon on the gun.

When I was a kid, dad always used good 'ol Hoppes #9. Then all of the fancy "Ethel-Methyl-Gun-Cleaners" came on the market during the late 80's and 90's and the market was full of B.S. sales gimmicks. I fell into the web of, "oh, brand X is way better than brand Y."

I finally went back to old reliable Hoppes and haven't looked back. It's not as expensive as some of the other fancy named solvents out there. And, it works!

For lubrication, I usually wipe down the gun with a rag after I sprayed it with Gun scrubber or an electronic parts cleaner spray (same thing as Gun Scrubber). That way all of the Hoppes is washed off the gun with all of the crud that is loosened up.

Next, I spray a rag with Rem Oil (not WD-40, it leaves a residue after long term storage) and wipe the exterior of the gun. Gun scrubber really dries out the surface of the metal on any gun, so a good wiping of a light oil protects the surface.

Finally I use "Shooter's Choice FP-10" or good 'ol Break Free on the slides, rails and recoil spring for lubrication. Then I'm done.

4. Flinter

Flinter Hornady Fan

Yes CLP will work just fine, without using any of the solvents. I'm sure you learned the bore bleed method in the Army to get carbon out. Run a very wet patch thru the bore, let stand a day or two then clean with patchs. Rarely anymore do I need to get out the Hoppes solvent, and that is normally only when I buy a used gun that wasn't properly cleaned. Another product that does work well on heavily gunked up guns is simple green.

5. tech-guru

tech-guru

Agreed. If the gun is new, as stated in the original post, and you do a good job of CLPing it, you hardly ever have to go to solvents and such. Like Flinter, I only have to go that route when cleaning a gun that has not been properly CLPed.

6. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto

Well, no offense, but generally I like to get a project done (i.e. cleaning a gun) in about 20 minutes or so. I don't want to start on Monday and be finished 24hours later..........

I don't know, that's just me.

Hoppes down the bore, soaked for the length of time it takes me to clean the slide and frame with a nylon brush. Then dip a bronze brush down the soaked barrel, run clean patches through and my gun is totally clean. A little lube and oil on the finish and I'm done.

I don't understand why anyone would want to wait another day to come back to the same gun to clean it. I guess if you have nothing else to do with your time, it's cool.

7. tech-guru

tech-guru

Agreed, I finish it right on the spot. I follow the exact procedure as 10mmAuto, only I don't hardly ever use the solvent on my acquired NIB guns. By doing a thorough job with CLP from day one and sticking to that regiment, I find it does more than an adequate job. I have Hoppes solvent for dire cases, usually guns that haven't been maintained since birth.. :)

8. Flinter

Flinter Hornady Fan

Go ahead finish on Monday, and 24 hrs later I can find carbon in your barrel. The let stand part is for after you clean the gun. CLP is well known to get into the nooks and carannies of bores and bleed out the carbon that brushes and patches misses. Even have to do the same with Hoppes, which is hard to get completely out of the bore, and can etch metal. So in the end you have to use an oil that bleeds out the solvent that you used to remove the gunk that CLP would have gotten by itself.

I clean my carry gun right away, the others can wait a day, and be cleaned each with 5 minutes.

9. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto

That's not what you originally said. You said to "run a very wet patch thru the bore, let stand a day or two THEN CLEAN WITH PATCHS."

Either way, perhaps that was a typo and I'm not trying to get into an argument with you. I agree with you that you'll always find carbon build up when cleaning a gun.

That being said, I feel that if you do it my way, (which isn't the "end-all" perfect way, it's just a way that works) your gun will be clean enough for shooting the next time out. It's not like you're in a military inspection or anything.

Solvent + bronze brush & patches down the barrel + nylon brush on rest of firearm + light oil for surface + lube oil on rails/slides = Good to go! (Done in about 20 minutes).
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

10. GLOCKMASTER

GLOCKMASTER Mean Ass

I didn't realize you are suppose to clean and lube Glocks.:winkie:

11. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

12. Flinter

Flinter Hornady Fan

10, you are right, there are millions of ways to clean guns. After range trips, I normally only clean my pistol as it goes everywhere. I still have to punch it's bore the following day if I want it cleaner than normal. My rifles either get a soaked patch thru them and then set aside or the bore sprayed, now that I buy the spray. Those can wait til I have a break in my overly full schedule, as they don't have cheap dirty ammo run through them. Luckily Glocks only take 5 minutes to get clean, not that they really need it, but habits die hard

13. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto