close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Light/Laser Reliability Issues?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by smkymtnjoe, Jun 5, 2006.

1. smkymtnjoe

smkymtnjoe Big Poser

I am trying to make a decision on a light/laser combo and when I asked about the Glock Light/Laser combo at my local dealer, they told me they don't sell the Glock anymore because of reliability issues. I have read through all the threads and have seen opinions ranging from best price/features combo, to I had issues…etc…

I have determined that I like the TLR-2, the CT and TLR-1 and the Glock combo. Before I make my decision, I just want to make sure I am fully informed. I am still weighing the advantages and disadvantages of the combo units vs. the CT and a nice light, but if I decide to go with a combo unit, I want to know if the Glock combo is even in the picture. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

2. rslintii

rslintii

The new Streamlight LED TLR-1 is the least expensive and slightly less bright than the bulb lights(80= lumns) they do not break and last alot longer on batteries and maintance. Adding the laser to make it ans you have the TLR-2 (the whole package). All for approx.$235.00 Total package. Best, Robert;)

3. smkymtnjoe

smkymtnjoe Big Poser

I really like the TLR-2's as well. I also like the idea of getting a CT grip with a TLR-1. I am going to be using it at the range and at home for home defense. I don't need anything too technical...I just want something that is reliable and easy to maintain. Thanks for the advice.

4. G36Packer

G36Packer

I got the CT and TLR1 because I carry it 99% in daylight hours. I don't have to get another holster to accomodate the light but I still have the laser. It doesn't sound like that is an issue in your case.

I prefer the automatic activation of the CT laser to a manual switch.

5. G36Packer

G36Packer

I have tried to post a picture of my G23 with CTC and TLR-1 a couple times tonight but I get a database error. I'll try again later.

I put electrical tape around the part under the muzzle because others have written that it is hard to clean GSR off of it.

It makes it too long for CCW IMO. I would have to get an OWB holster and a long coat. If I were going to CCW with it I would consider the Glock light because it does not extend past the muzzle, I don't think.

Another thing to consider is whether you want one that snaps on like a Glock slide or one you put on from the bottom or side and tighten a thumb screw. This is not a big deal if you put it on permanently or don't plan on putting it on in a big hurry.

The TLR-1 is put on from the bottom and then you have to tighten a thumb screw.

Snap-on is faster but because it slides on from the front it has the potential of having fingers in front of the barrel during installation.

6. hankhan

hankhan Guest

I have the TLR-1 and CT laser. I didn't like the idea of having both my laser and light sharing a power source. If it goes out, both systems are inoperable. Splitting the devices should give me a high probability of one of them working all the time.

7. rslintii

rslintii

Lasermax(guide rod), Crimson Trace(grip frame) and Streamlight TLR-2(rail mount light&laser), Truglo TFO (Night sight with enhanced day light). Any thing else I forgot? Best< Robert :rollsmiley:

8. smkymtnjoe

smkymtnjoe Big Poser

I think I am comfortable with the quality and reliability of the TLR-2 and TLR-1 as well as the CT grips. I have read mixed opinions on the Lasermax, so I think I will stay away, but I don't have a problem buying any of the other systems. I really want to know if the Glock Laser/Light combo is reliable. My local shop says they are not, but they don't carry them. Does anybody out there have the Glock Tactical Laser/Light combo? If so, does it work for you?

9. rslintii

rslintii

LED(light source)rather than bulb are the way to go for reliability!Best< Robert;)

10. smkymtnjoe

smkymtnjoe Big Poser

Thanks for the info. I had not thought about the bulb issue. I do remember reading now that some folks had problems with bulbs going out on the Glock models. I think you have helped me make my decision. I think I'll get the TLR-2. I know you can take the CT grips on and off pretty easily, but I like the idea of training with my sites most of the time and then when I want to practice with the laser...I can just snap it on. Thanks.

11. agerbaek

agerbaek

I have the Glock 17DK mounted with Streamlight M6, works pretty well for me.

[img=http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/3674/dscf00558gl.jpg]