Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any LE restricted mags currently. Though I might be picking up a G19 restricted magazine soon. Are there any differences with any of the parts of the magazine (other than the stamped words on the back of the mag body)? Would there be any issue adding a Glock +2 extension to it?

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
I don't have any LE restricted mags currently. Though I might be picking up a G19 restricted magazine soon. Are there any differences with any of the parts of the magazine (other than the stamped words on the back of the mag body)? Would there be any issue adding a Glock +2 extension to it?
On a federal level... there is no problem. It was restricted only during the Clinton AWB van which sunsetted or ended years ago. They are legal to own now.

On the state level, some states have a 10 round limit but grandfathered in those magazines made before their ban. The LE restricted magazines “date “ when they were made and may or may not have been made before that state ‘s ban.

If your state doesn’t have a limit on how many rounds a magazine can hold, then don’t worry about it.
If it does, you know the magazine was made after a certain date, and may or may not be grandfathered in. That’s it .

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,514 Posts
One thing I could think of is, those mags are all pretty old now and the springs may be a bit saggy and not reliably support a +2 at this point. And although I didn't check specifically, I'd be reasonably certain that those all have old version followers. Too lazy to double-check mine right now.
Mike-M knows these things off the top of his head.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Legally, I'm fine in the state of WA (for now).
Physically, I will make sure to swap for a new mag spring and reuse the follower with the old magazine body. Will the old follower and newer spring work? Will I need to replace the follower with the new spring? I guess I'm not sure what all is compatible here.
Will the bottom fit on with any issues?
Thanks for the replies, guys.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,514 Posts
Sorry, I did a quick look for my old LE mags but set them aside so well, that I may never find them to compare.
Some older mags were not metal lined, but I believe the newer LE- marked were all metal lined. Floor plates are listed as different between the two. Also, some of my old mags had a U-notch that may affect other internal mag parts. Somewhere along the line, feed lips were changed. And of course, older mags cannot be used in a Glock with the mag catch reversed.
Too many caveats so I retired those few that I had and bought new, reliable mags.
Is there some reason you want to start with an LE 'shell' and build around it? If you aren't getting Armorer's prices, the spring and follower may approach the cost of a new Glock mag on sale. $18 isn't that uncommon for a shiny new Gen 4 or 5 mag.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I did a quick look for my old LE mags but set them aside so well, that I may never find them to compare.
Some older mags were not metal lined, but I believe the newer LE- marked were all metal lined. Floor plates are listed as different between the two. Also, some of my old mags had a U-notch that may affect other internal mag parts. Somewhere along the line, feed lips were changed. And of course, older mags cannot be used in a Glock with the mag catch reversed.
Too many caveats so I retired those few that I had and bought new, reliable mags.
Is there some reason you want to start with an LE 'shell' and build around it? If you aren't getting Armorer's prices, the spring and follower may approach the cost of a new Glock mag on sale. $18 isn't that uncommon for a shiny new Gen 4 or 5 mag.
It appears to be a square notch, metal lined mag. I have other mags with the Glock extension, both single catch cut and ones that would work with a Gen4/5 ambi catch.

This G19 LE mag just popped up for trade for a G17 mag, and since I dont own a G17, I figured "why not." I will try it out, if anything doesn't work, I'll report back my findings for everyone. If it does work, I'll post a picture.

Side note, I do have a handful of ambi cut mags for my Gen4 G19, all stock mags for carry. I don't really care for the "Gen5" mags. Is there any benefit besides the orange follower? Does anyone like that ugly new floor plate? The stores around here are not getting any of the "Gen4" in stock. They're not discontinued, right?

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,514 Posts
Gen 4 can't be 'discontinued' any time soon, as not every Glock can accept Gen 5s. You could just change out the floor plate to bring the 5 mag, back to 4. But I prefer the orange follower as it offers a faster view of an (empty) mag still in the gun.
Your particular dealer(s) may simply prefer to stock fewer mag variations, when Gen 5 fits 'most'.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
It will work fine, I have been using my supply for years now, no problems.
A G-19 LE mag in good shape has a #3 follower and a 3206 marked base plate with insert.
A Glock part #7151 (+) base plate with wedge will fit just fine.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
On a federal level... there is no problem. It was restricted only during the Clinton AWB van which sunsetted or ended years ago. They are legal to own now.

On the state level, some states have a 10 round limit but grandfathered in those magazines made before their ban. The LE restricted magazines “date “ when they were made and may or may not have been made before that state ‘s ban.

If your state doesn’t have a limit on how many rounds a magazine can hold, then don’t worry about it.
If it does, you know the magazine was made after a certain date, and may or may not be grandfathered in. That’s it .
Unfortunately some states then went a step further and said pre ban magazines were no longer grandfathered! ( the last straw that made me move out of NY)
Magazines I had personally owned for 20 years were now illegal!

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
Unfortunately some states then went a step further and said pre ban magazines were no longer grandfathered! ( the last straw that made me move out of NY)
I had a few magazines I had to get rid of when the NY Safe act came around.
I get to keep my service gun magazines if I qualify once every three years otherwise I turn into a potential felon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the state level, some states have a 10 round limit but grandfathered in those magazines made before their ban.
I get to keep my service gun magazines if I qualify once every three years otherwise I turn into a potential felon.
You're all now safer and your government thanks you for complying.

But seriously, thanks everyone for the answers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts