close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GLock laser/light combo

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 02Mineralgraygt, Oct 7, 2006.

1. 02Mineralgraygt

02Mineralgraygt

i have a glock laser light combo that i bought with my model 21. it fits TIGHT, so tight that i have to put a little muscle into it. i was hanging out with a friend of mine a couple weeks back and we put it on his new 23 and it fit perfectly, just slid on and snapped into place. my question - is there a different model for the fullsize guns and the midsized??the light is brand new and the has less than a box through it and was treated very well by previous owner so im pretty sure nothing is wrong with either part. thanks for any help

2. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Our SureFires fit just a tad snugger on my G21 than they do on Judy's G19. Since the G23 and G19 are both compacts, I suspect this is no coincidence.

The G21 & G20 have a longer dust cover and rail, and typically, in the curing process, these curve up a tiny bit (see attached). It could well be that the tolerances of your Glock Laser/Light don't accommodate this curve as easily, and the fit is snugger. The longer the light's rails, the more pronounced this would become.

Unless you're afraid you'll break something, I wouldn't sweat it. Take confidence that the gizmo will stay put if TSHTF! :thumbsup:

How do you like your G21?

--Ray

3. 02Mineralgraygt

02Mineralgraygt

haha funny you ask that. i have had it for about a month or so and havent been able to shoot it yet. i have shot an uncles 1st or 2nd gen 21 and it was a nice gun so im sure i will love this one. my friend is going to buy the laser/light from me for his 23 and im going to replace it with a surefire x200. the laser is pretty cool but i dont have a need for it. hopefully i will have some trijicon nightsights on it by the end of the year. i will try and get a few pics up at some point.

4. Azra'il

Azra'il

Ray once again you got a great 21 there!!

I'm planing to buy a light for my GLOCKS but can't decide between the X200 A/B?? Never seen the result in real life so it's hard to say!! Any one could post some private-picture inside as well as outside with bot the A and B??

Hopefully!

5. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Thanks! :)

Never got around to getting great pics of the X200's, but you can extrapolate from the attached, what the beam patterns would be.

The X200A at left, has that spot beam going on, with a hint of the peripheral corona visible. Note LaserMax.

The X200B at right, is a wide-angle flood beam, and best for indoor use.

--Ray

P.S. As best I could tell, The TLR-1 was more similar to the B's pattern.

6. killnbucks

killnbucks

This may help... I made my dissicion based on these facts!

A key issue with Tactical lights, is brightnes (measured in lumens).

The Glock light produces 95 lumes compared to other major manufacturers which produce 80 lumens. Doing the math, the Glock light is 15 lumens brighter which is almost 19% brighter (fairly large increase in power). The same thing is seen with regard to the brightness of the laser. The Glock laser is measured at 835nm compared to the other manufactures at 650-660nm. This time the increase in brightness is over 25%. Oh, and did I mention that the Golck light is no wider than your gun? So if you wanted to carry with the light attached, it wouldn't make your rig any thicker.

The all other things being basically equal, the last issue is money. The Glock combo can be found for as little as $209.00 (and it comes with batteries) where the other brands are almost always over $250 and usuall around $300 (batteries not included). Glock light... Nice hard shell case. Other lights... cardboard box or plastic bag.

That's my 2 cents!

7. Azra'il

Azra'il

I always wonder if I could use the X200 A version, since it's so spotty, as a pointing/laser device. Of course one can clearly see that the B is more suitable for indoor use, but is it totally useless with an A indoor, and visa versa??

A source tells that A is aprx. 80 lumens, and B is aprx. 100 lumens, but isn't the A version the most powerfull one(blinding) to the human eyes?

8. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Azra'il,

1) You know, you probably could use an X200A as a pointing device, at least to some degree, at closer range. On a shotgun for sure!

2) Useless? No way! Both X200s A&B work indoors or out. The A's range is much further, with a comparatively narrow spot beam While the B's wide angle flood lights an entire room. For HD/SD purposes, most people won't pursue a perp outside the home, whereas, a cop might! For most, the X200B will serve best! :thumbsup:

3) The X200A is not more powerful than the X200B. You're looking at 3-watts Vs. 5-watts, and 60 lumens Vs. 100 lumens. The X200A is a more concentrated, or tightly focused beam. The point source (LED) of either light will temporarily blind you. :cool:

Besides, your primary flashlight should be a big, honken, outdoorsy C or D cell thing! :freak:

Killnbucks,

The Glock Light may be a good value, and work well on the gun, but if you physically examine the two products side by side, they are hardly comparable.

It's true (for now) that incandescent bulbs are ultimately brighter than LEDs, but they are not shock-proof, and eventually do burn out.

LED's on the other hand, are virtually impervious to shock, use a fraction of the power, and for all practical purposes, last forever.

The SureFire X200s are milled from solid Mil-Spec aircraft aluminum bar stock, and hard-anodized. The lenses are anti-reflective coated Pyrex. They are water proof beyond ordinary diving depths, and support options, such as remote switching.

It's a little like comparing a Rolex to a Casio; but you could certainly argue that a Casio is plenty for most people! ;)

I guess it comes down to whether or not you'd bet your life on it. Does it absolutely, positively have to work every time?

Note: The new TLR-1 (attached) has a 3-watt LED, aluminum construction, water-proofing, an 80 lumen output, lifetime warranty, and while not as bright and wide-beamed as a SureFire X200B, it's only $100.00. :wow:

--Ray

9. killnbucks

killnbucks

alot of people talked that way about Glock firearms when they first came out because they were not made entirely of steel... Yet here we all are today talking about how great they are. The Glock light is made of the same material as a Glock Frame and that is fairly strong material.

No matter what kind of bulb you use, THEY ALL burn out sooner or later. The Glock is also Shock Proof, and has approximately the same run tims as all other brands of this type. And by the way, the Glock is also waterproof to 20 meters... not that I plan on having any undersea advenutres!

NEXT QUESTION!!!

10. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Shouting will not make you more convincing. :upeyes:

--Ray

11. Azra'il

Azra'il

Ray B, so are you saying using a hand gun as a hand gun the "B" model would be more than enough?

Can a model B lighten up things clearly at a distance of 25m??
    If yes, then I go for the B! Because for me the 25m is the maximum!

12. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Now I'll be repeating myself... ;)

Terms like "clearly" are subjective. :headscratch:

Besides, you shouldn't make $250.00+ decisions just on my say-so. :)

Here's SureFire's Weapon Lights page: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.pl

And they do answer email queries:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/20/sesent/00

Good luck! :wavey:

--Ray

13. killnbucks

killnbucks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this post about a GLOCK Tactical Light/Laser combo and the way it fit on the origionator of the post's gun!?! Good, Bad or indifferent, that is the subject at hand and we've gotten off base (myself included). Discussion about other brands and how good or bad they may be should probably be saved for another topic of discussion.

Bottom line, all guns are not EXACTLY the same and the minor differences are going to make for a looser or snugger fit with regard to your tact light.

14. RayB

RayB Retired Member

You screamed in part...

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this post about a GLOCK Tactical Light/Laser combo and the way it fit on the origionator of the post's gun!?!"

No, you're not wrong--about that. You're just overstating the obvious. ;)

"Bottom line, all guns are not EXACTLY the same and the minor differences are going to make for a looser or snugger fit with regard to your tact light."

I believe my first (above-shown) reply addresses just that, and quite nicely too. :)

What followed were responses to additional queries and statements. :sigh:

Then you jumped in... :okie:

There were replies... :rollsmiley:

And here you are complaining. :steamed:

Now, some day when you're all grown up, and become a moderator, you can tell us what we can talk about. :bowdown:

But not today! :tongueout:

Meanwhile, please file any complaints with The Department of Redundancy Department. :wedgie: :tease: :wavey:

--Ray

15. killnbucks

killnbucks

NO, I didn't "jump in"... This is an open forum and now you are simply being rude. Our conversation is over!!! If you post anything else to me personally, I will do just what you suggested and file a complaint. This is not your personal sounding board for whatever. If you would like to start a topic regarding something else, than please do so. In the mean time, I again ask that you stick to the topic at hand and not act like a child when someone asks you to do something politely.

16. RayB

RayB Retired Member

:thanks:

--Ray

17. thisone

thisone Glock addict CLM

This happens all of the time, the original poster gets lost in the rubble...

I use the Glock Tactical Light/Laser combo on my G19 for home defense, and at close encounter ranges, it lights very well for my purpose.

In regards to the fit, yes it is a bit snug, but if it were to fit a bit loose, wouldn't it be subjected to more abuse?

IMHO the Glock GTL22 works great.

:thumbsup: